• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Since the Great Ammo Crisis started, I have been considering getting an air gun for small game hunting and pest control. I have always used low velocity .22's, like CB Longs, CB Match, .22 Short, or CCI .22 Quiet rounds. These have been fine for my style of small game hunting, but as we all know, it's like winning a lottery if I find any .22 rimfire ammo for sale. BB's and pellets seem to always be in abundant supply, and the rifles themselves are inexpensive enough, unless I get crazy.
    Does anyone have any experience with air guns they can share?
    Thanks,
    sj1

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The availability of 22LR ammo is not a reason to abandon the 22. The ammo is damn near everywhere. I have some 22short if you want to buy some.

I own a pellet gun for backyard tree rat defense. It kills 'em quick and dead. It has open sights and I can kill out to 35yds or so using 6 pumps. It is a Crossman in 22 cal. If you are not worried about the noise level give the .177's a try. But most are supersonic and they have the crack of a 22 rimfire.

When I was looking for a gun I tried several different .177's and they were either too damed loud or inaccurate even with scope. Non consistent would probably be a better term. I tried the ones that were < $130. Some would not shoot a 4 inch group at 15yds.

Academy has about the best selection of guns,pellets,and BB's around. I took back 4 of them and they had no problems with giving me my money back. --- SAWMAN

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks for the input, Sawman. I intend to keep my .22's. I was thinking about expanding my options. I have noticed that a lot of .177 air guns are promoting velocity, and that kind of defeats the purpose for my style of hunting. The words "loud", "non consistent" and "inaccurate" also throw up some warning flags. I've gotten to where my single shot .22 with CB Longs can hit a bottle cap at 35 yards, if I've been practicing. Maybe all of the super-hyper fancy air guns at Bass Pro aren't the best alternative. A Crosman pump-style gun might be just the ticket.
    Thanks again, and if my supplies get low enough, I might take you up on buying some .22 Shorts. I have to see what's left in all of my open boxes.
    sj1

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I got a $56 on sale Crossman Fury, very powerful and the right pellets, but loud. The Newest Gamo is quiet as you are gonna get. The Nitrogen instead of spring load single cock are also going to be quieter.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I believe that I have some CB-EE's around also. Another "potential" problem that you could come across is the fact that a 22LR is a "firearm" where a pellet gun and or BB gun is not. In a residential neighborhood these two would be treated different by the LEO that stops by after being called by the bunny hugger next door.

One recommendation is that whatever you decide on,do not shoot BB's. I find them much too inaccurate. My pump up Crosman Mod. 392PA will shoot the Crosman brand pellets(part# PO22B001)into a 2" group at 30yds(rested)all day,when consistently using 6 pumps. --- SAWMAN

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good advice again, sir. I do live outside city limits, and have my own shooting range, but anyone following this thread might have different circumstances.
    As far as BB's go, I remember every inexpensive BB gun I ever owned shooting closer to a shotgun pattern than a group. Nothing that I would trust to hit a squirrel with, for sure. I am definitely considering pellets first. I have done some looking around, and may pick up a pump-up Crosman, to experiment with. My .22's are going to get some love before I start hunting this fall, for sure. They've proven themselves. I'll be updating soon.
    sj1

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Another couple ............... -> One of the .177 pellet guns that I tried from Academy was the Gamo Nitrogen model. It was loud and had some elevated recoil. (Where does it get it's Nitrogen from anyway ??) Any gun that shoots pellets supersonic will have a crack to them. Basically >1100fps. All the guns that advertise 1200-1400fps WILL sound (~) like a 22 RF. Not quite as loud but damn near.

Also...... --> be mindful of the recoil. Yep,recoil. If course it wont bruise your shoulder,however it will trash some of the scopes/sights out there. That huge spring slammin' forward is more than most people realize. That is why they make scopes dedicated to the spring gun shooters. I would guess that a better quality scope would be fine ..... however I would pass on the NcStar and such.

Shooting the CB-EE's out of my bolt 22RF is waaaaay quiter than any spring or pump pellet gun that I have ever tried. ----- SAWMAN

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I purchased an Umarex Octane from Pyramid air for a little over $200.00 it came with several cans of recommended pellets and free shipping it is 22cal. I have shot pellet guns in the past but nothing like this it is a real accurate rifle. I have attached my first target I shot the day I got it this target is at 30 ranged yards. The trigger is a little stiff but easy to get used to. I would highly recommend this gun and by the way it is quit target.jpg

Attachments

• target.jpg
      target.jpg
      15.5 KB · Views: 116

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have had a RWS for many years. Single cock. Damn loud but very very accurate. I have messed up two scopes with it. You need a scope for pellet rifles or pay the price.

RGriff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I second the Umarex Octane. I had to put an aftermarket scope on it because the one it came with wasn't holding zero. The most impressive thing about it is the SilencAir suppressor on the End. Even when shooting 14gr pellets at 1050 fps there is no report from the rifle. Just the nitro piston cycling. I sent you a PM.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    back in 1968 I picked coffee weeds out of my families soybean, potato and corn-fields for what seemed like forever !!
    so I could buy me a REAL 22cal Benjamin franklin pump pellet rifle...notta damn Sheridan...hell no !!! way before there time of pallet-wood stocks !!!:nono:
    still got it, and my son still has his too....
    we have tried finding close comparison but, nada !!!
    we have chronied mine at over 1400 fps with only 8 pumps.
    more than that and the felt seal will fail. his at 1320.

but as accurate asa 22lr..yes. 30yrd groups less than .75 all day with lead ol'school pellets.

and there not that easy to pump after #5, at least ours ain't................:nod:

for those of you that don't know any better...........:juggle:

The Benjamin Air Rifle Company has been in business since 1902, when it was founded in St. Louis, Mo., by Walter Benjamin. The company has passed through several changes of ownership since it was founded, acquiring the Sheridan Products company in the process. Now the company continues to manufacture its highly prized air rifles in East Bloomfield, N.Y.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/about_5050324_history-benjamin-air-rifles.html

Last edited:
    Top Bottom