• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I've got an older set and as I have gotten older I have noticed I can feel the concussion more. It's not loud to me with muffs on, but I'm sure there is some damage going on in there.
    What's your favorite set?
    I've seen a 20 dollar pair advertise a better db rating than an 80 dollar set. I don't think I need electronic, never have before. Or do I?
    My current set is 3m with a 21db rating. I see a lot of the newer sets listed at 28 and 31. Particularly the Walker set
    Thanks.

vincec

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I like the Walker Razor. They are electronic muffs but I don't always use the electronics. Unless I am in a situation where I need to hear commands and/or conversations, I just leave the electronics off and use them as regular muffs. These muffs are comfortable and don't get in the way when shooting a long gun. I like the fast response time of the electronics for cutoff when I do have them turned on. Price is reasonable too.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Muffs over plugs, unless I am the RO, then it is one or the other. Not particular on brand. I have ringing in my ears all the time, though, so you might not want to do as I do.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Muffs over plugs, unless I am the RO, then it is one or the other. Not particular on brand. I have ringing in my ears all the time, though, so you might not want to do as I do.
    I for sure don't need the ringing. Need to hang onto what little I have left. Between loud stereos when I was younger and selective hearing, I don't hear much lol.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Make sure it's at least 30db. When shooting something really loud (AK pistol) I use earplugs along with the muffs. Don't let the ladies wear those cheap pink earmuffs. Get them Real earmuffs that will protect their hearing.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I ordered the walkers from psa. 27 db or nrr rating. Picked up some 32db earplugs too. Was already getting a few things so they shipped for free with my order.
    I'll either order another set of the walkers or try another 3m set that has a 30+rating

Had no idea there were so many!
    Most have a 21-24 rating, regardless of price

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Peltor Tactical 6s Behind the Head, Electronic Hearing Protection. *NRR 19db. About $60. Uses one AAA battery in each side. Get Electronlc! Range instruction, talking to fellow shooters, at home or in vehicle, I keep them with house gun (use them time permitting but not the priority). Connecting structure wire is very unobtrusive, doesn't interfere with hard or soft head gear and you can wear it with the connecting wire Low or High. Ear cups are much thinner than common mickey mouse ears and the taper down to the tops and bottoms. which helps avoid conflict with cheek weld/stock. I don't do high speed/low drag team stuff anymore so I don't buy stuff with comm connections. Buy this set for the Lady in your life too. Tell her they are special type that won't mess up her hair! You'll get extra credit fod being so considerate.

If you (or the guy in the next Lane) is shooting a heavy or a short and loud, you can add a "good set of ear plugs" to argument your protection level.

* Hearing protection "Ratings/Claims" from manufactures can be all over the place. I think the NRR is the closest standard. Also note that because the units electronics process what hear, when there are no interfering noises: normal speech and other sounds will be different than normal unrestricted hearing. It is still a great advantage when things are stop go. They don't need to be turned on to deliver the standard 19db protection, "On" just allows basic hearing to continue until it registers a shot and shuts basic hearing down. It almost a seamless transition between both operations.

I'm not promoting Midway, just using it as a illistration and Specs reference. There's several online shopping sites using Peltor Tactical 6s labeling that are "over the head" types or not even Peltor brand.

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Premium Ear set up at Kestral match (Altus) a few months ago. I had a set custom made with passive protection for $110. They are excellent. Options run from $80 -$180 approximately.

Bamajoey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use Howard Leigh plugs when shooting .22, and add Howard Leigh muffs with anything bigger. My ears ring all the time anyway so I always use ear protection.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone ever hear about the hearing aids devises that generate white noise to help reduce the ringing????

Top Bottom