• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike75

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Problem identified, missing Hand plunger and hand plunger spring. Figured I would add that here at the top for anyone just reading this.

The hand plunger spring goes in a small little hole in the back of the trigger and the hand plunger spring goes between the spring and the hand putting the hand under spring tension and pressing the bottom of the hand pivoting the top into a slot on the back of the forcing cone. Inside that notch is small little notches that the tip of the hand catches and uses to rotate the cylinder when the hand is pushed up as either the trigger or the hammer are pressed back. So without the spring and plunger the hand is not under spring tension and falls out of the notch on back of the forcing cone and does not make contact with the notches normally used to rotate the cylinder when the trigger or hammer are pressed. The only reason it was rotating the cylinder when it was pointed down was because gravity had pulled the hand into position to make contact as if it was under tension.

I would like to say thanks to BluesBrother for his reply pointing this out and making me look for this. I'm new to revolvers and just learning how they function. But am looking forward to shooting this one.

Hey guys, I figure this is the best place to go to find someone who might be able to assist me in figuring out what's missing in this gun.
    I just bought it, Taurus 689 .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel and Hogue rubber grips, last night for a steal. A buddy of mine had been working on it for a guy he knows who owned it. The guy really had no interest and it was apparent. So he took a shot and low balled him and the guy accepted. My buddy doesn't like revolvers but knew that the the right price as your the young gun I would take it. And he was very right. He offered it to me for $200 and I jumped like a well practiced toad and it now belongs to me. I know it needs the trigger and the hammer need replaced due to age and pitting. And I intend to carve a set of red cedar grips from the cedar that hurricane Sally so graciously donated when it was knocked out of the tree behind my shop. The grain has this unreal shifting effect like the holographic cards had back in the 80's and looks AMAZING with a tung oil rubbed finish. I have already made a set of grips from if for the same friends .32 revolver, a Raven P25 .25ACP I rebuilt for my girlfriend, and a Bersa 844 Lusbar .32ACP I rebuilt for my daughter for Christmas. And that same grain is going to look amazing on this . 357 Magnum. I have attached pics of the end result in all 3 guns with the cedar grips I made.
    The issue with the Taurus 689 is that originally he thought it was just the hand that was needed. But after I ordered that (before I was informed I could buy it and it was still being worked on for the original owner) and it was installed the cylinder only rotates when it's pointed downward. And then the hammer run not lock back. If the gun is pointed upward just past level then the hammer locks back but the cylinder won't turn. In sure there is another part missing as is he. But he wasn't informed of any missing parts even originally given the gun to repair. So we are both in the dark as to which part is missing. So what I'm hoping is that the picture I post here is the explained I view and the picture of the gun when the side plate removed will be enough for someone who knows something about these and their internal workings to be able to identify what is missing and give me the part number listed on the exploded view so I can order it and get this beautiful piece back up and operational.
    My fingers are crossed! I know that this has got to be the group of guys and girls with the most knowledge out there, the Gulf Coast absolutely loves their guns and there is a huge number of military bases. So the sheer number of people who practice their second amendment rights is huge.

Thanks guys and girls! I'm so anxious to get her going again!

Attachments

• 1622364323405.jpg
      1622364323405.jpg
      27.9 KB · Views: 79
    • 1659665142-picsay.jpg
      1659665142-picsay.jpg
      394.2 KB · Views: 84
    • 20220312_120316.jpg
      20220312_120316.jpg
      316.2 KB · Views: 79
    • 20220312_120324.jpg
      20220312_120324.jpg
      361.8 KB · Views: 80
    • Screenshot_20220819-100851-204.png
      Screenshot_20220819-100851-204.png
      578.6 KB · Views: 83
    • 16609248904815926128181751094914.jpg
      16609248904815926128181751094914.jpg
      287.7 KB · Views: 85
    • 16609249206084744299350491500270.jpg
      16609249206084744299350491500270.jpg
      308 KB · Views: 86
    Last edited:

nwfdub

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unlikely anyone can tell you definitively from a description and photo. Unless you feel confident enough, and have the proper tools, your going to have to take it to a smith.
    The only way to know is take it apart and match each part. There could be more than one part missing. Like a part and a spring. Could just be a worn out part.

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    "cylinder only rotates when it's pointed downward. And then the hammer run not lock back. If the gun is pointed upward just past level then the hammer locks back but the cylinder won't turn."
    This is similar to a S&W, not the same but similar. The hand on a S&W is under spring tension. A small spring might be what your missing. Maybe a combination of small springs.
    Good advise from nfwdub. If you feel comfortable take it apart and match removed parts to the schematic. I don't think Taurus will honor warranty because it's not original. They'll fix it. However, they might charge you for their work.

fla kid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Call taurus they allways have honored the warranty and they were all second hand & if they couldn't
    repair it they replaced it

Mike75

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unlikely anyone can tell you definitively from a description and photo. Unless you feel confident enough, and have the proper tools, your going to have to take it to a smith.
    The only way to know is take it apart and match each part. There could be more than one part missing. Like a part and a spring. Could just be a worn out part.

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk
    Yea, I got a buddy that has been working on guns since he was a kid. His grandfather was in WWII and always kept what I could only describe as an small arsenal. His dad wasn't around so his grandfather took him under his wing and taught him about guns and his you shoot. But before he was allowed to shoot a gun he had to be able to completely strip it down, every screw, every pin every spring has to come out of off. It then had to be cleaned and polished and put back together. Even the German guns he brought back from the war. And he brought back several. But once he could completely disassemble and reassemble the gun then he could shoot it any time her wanted. They would just load the truck with anything he wanted to shoot and head out to the country. I buy most of my guns from him. So he is going to be picking it up and checking into it this weekend. I was just hoping it was something obvious or the symptoms where something someone was familiar with and it was just a matter of it being seen by the right person and saving him a little trouble.
    I have found where if the Hand Spring is broken or disengaged it will cause the cylinder not to rotate unless it's pointed down. And that's exactly what it's doing. That and the hammer won't lock back into the cocked position if it is pointed down as well. I'm thinking that it's allowing the hand to come out of it's notch when it's raised up above level and when it's dropped below level the hand then coming into contact with the hammer and preventing it from locking back as cocked. Anyway, I'm going to share it this info with my buddy and let him suss it's all out. I never wanted a revolver before. So I don't have much experience with them. My first wife had one she my current girlfriend has one. This is my first. I had a .38 Derringer as my first gun that I got as a wedding gift when I got married to by first wife. After that is all been Semi-Autos. And I have stripped a few of those down from the scraps that where called a gun but was nothing more than spare parts that happened to be capable of being secured to one another. Not enough parts there to call them actual guns. But I managed to strip them down, find all the parts I needed add rebuild working guns. As a matter of fact the Raven P25 (I think I mistakenly named it the MP25 in my thread. This one is the P25 which was the first model Jennings produced. I gave it to my girlfriend to carry when she walks the dog. But I should have built a shadow box for it and hung it on the wall for and the history behind that manufacturer and model. I will go back she edit my thread to have accurate info, I hate identifying things incorrectly.) and the Bersa 844 Lusbar in the pictures are 2 of them. They where both a ton of fun getting back to working order and pulling the trigger the first time and hasn't l having it go bang. The Bersa I gave to by daughter for Christmas. That little .32 is perfect for her and the all metal frame absorbs a lot of what other recoil there is so it doesn't shy her away because it jumps in her hand when she fires it like my Glock 19 does. I carry +p in it and you definitely know it went bang. But I bet not near as much as this .357 it's going to be. Or the 1911 chambered in .45 ACP that I plan on picking up around December. Im waiting to see if I can catch a sale and get more than the basic model. I'm willing to bet both kick considerably more than my Glock.

Thanks for your input and taking the time to reply. It's much appreciated.

Mike75

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "cylinder only rotates when it's pointed downward. And then the hammer run not lock back. If the gun is pointed upward just past level then the hammer locks back but the cylinder won't turn."
    This is similar to a S&W, not the same but similar. The hand on a S&W is under spring tension. A small spring might be what your missing. Maybe a combination of small springs.
    Good advise from nfwdub. If you feel comfortable take it apart and match removed parts to the schematic. I don't think Taurus will honor warranty because it's not original. They'll fix it. However, they might charge you for their work.
    I looked further and found the hand plunger and the hand plunger spring are missing. Thank you for your advice. It really helped my narrow down what the problem was. I'm looking for parts now.

Mike75

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the advice bud. Maybe we can get together one day when I get her fixed and you can take a few shots with her.

Top Bottom