• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For tonights hunt,wind will not be good. But I want to hunt. Sooooooo . . . will change up my tactics a bit.
    Will scent up a couple areas pretty heavy. Then will set up to do some calling down wind.
    My buggy has a couple old rags hanging down from the back. Will put some " Special Sauce" on it and allow it to flap in the breeze. The scent is more of a attractant than a cover scent.
    Then will use my older Fox Pro to play a "Piglet In Distress" sound. Will have my thermal on and gun in buggys shooting sling for this hunt. The action could be fast and furious like calling coyotes from distant cover.
    I really doubt if the hogs in this area have ever been called before.
    I'm through with the 120 pounders. I want a 225+ tonight. --- SAWMAN

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    You will have to let me in on that “Special Sauce” recipe of yours. I have tried a few things so far with not much luck. I have a few on camera but can’t get them to come out while I am there waiting on them.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have known hogs to be fairly curious critters. I have watched them moving up an established trail like they had somewhere important to go. The leed sow would slam on the brakes so hard that the followers would have chain reaction rear end collisions.
    They would all look intently,then head off,moving upwind to my scent post. I used this in Eglin after it was "blessed" by a federal warden as a "attractant" and not a "bait".
    The formula came to me from an old hog trapper that used to work inside Solutia and later the Christ Plant. ---- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    GOOD LUCK!

My son is home from the Air Force and we are going out tonight to see what we can get. More interested in coyotes but will smash some hogs and cats if they come by, which I'm sure the hogs will.

By brother in law brought back 26 bags of corn from a hunt camp in GA where they were going to toss it because it had bugs in it and some of it had got wet in the past, man did it smell... we poured it all out yesterday in a 100 yard circle... he shot a large boar within two hours. I'm sure the hogs will hit it tonight, that will be our first stop before the sun sets.

I'll have my son in the turret with thermal and I'll be on the ground with a PVS-14 helmet mount, OTAL-C laser, and some IR lighting including a TNVC Torch II. I have access to a Rem 700 with a D790 6X Magnus Gen III + White Phosphor I might grab.

Good hunting and stay safe.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    In the past I had success with the following (different state).

Pigs- filled a 55 gallon drum with corn and cheap malt liquor, sealed it for a few days, then open and wait. Don’t forget about it as it can pop after a few hot days.

Coyotes - we would shoot crows, put in a trash bag, bury in the field for a day, open and wait.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Try some really strong grape coolaide. Plenty sweet.
    I went on guided pig hunt 2 years ago and the pigs swarmed it. Ignored the corn and other baits and the auto feeder. Not sure why, but it was most effective. Guide said it was the cheapest and best “attractant’.
    Edit to say Im no pig expert, But I know pork shops!

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    sometimes in soft soil we dig with a post hole digger and bury a 3-4'X8-10" hole and drop PVC in it...back fill a little..if needed....then pour the soured corn in it. It takes them days to a week to get that pipe outta the ground rooting around it. They can get the corn on the top but after a foot or so they can't get to it....sure make the corn last longer...inedible peanut butter works real good too as an attractant.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    sometimes in soft soil we dig with a post hole digger and bury a 3-4'X8-10" hole and drop PVC in it...back fill a little..if needed....then pour the soured corn in it. It takes them days to a week to get that pipe outta the ground rooting around it. They can get the corn on the top but after a foot or so they can't get to it....sure make the corn last longer...inedible peanut butter works real good too as an attractant.

A guy I used to hunt with went to the large bakeries and asked for their empty peanut butter bags

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If there is a peanut butter plant close you can get inedible there some times.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    NOTHING !!
    Got set up and triggered the call. Two coyotes came tear-assin' out of the area that usually holds hogs. They slammed on the brakes at about 75yds and just stood there looking. ( This is a property where the landowner has not given us permission to shoot yotes.)
    After about 30 long seconds they turned and slowly walked to my south to gain the wind. After about 200yds they faded off into the woodline.
    Set up in another location about a half mile away. Deer in field,called off and on for about 30 minutes. NOTHING !! BUT . . . the deer didn't care. They just kept on feeding.
    BTW - -> looks like the rut has started up north of Whiteing Field. ---- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    NOTHING !!
    Got set up and triggered the call. Two coyotes came tear-assin' out of the area that usually holds hogs. They slammed on the brakes at about 75yds and just stood there looking. ( This is a property where the landowner has not given us permission to shoot yotes.)
    After about 30 long seconds they turned and slowly walked to my south to gain the wind. After about 200yds they faded off into the woodline.
    Set up in another location about a half mile away. Deer in field,called off and on for about 30 minutes. NOTHING !! BUT . . . the deer didn't care. They just kept on feeding.
    BTW - -> looks like the rut has started up north of Whiteing Field. ---- SAWMAN

I thought the wind would be a problem for us last night but it died down after dark.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Of course you want the longest bbl practical for YOUR usage. It is a "velocity by the inch" thang.
    After doing much reserch and talking to the 6.8 guru's on the 6.8 Forum,the optimal for me,for my usage,for the intended weapon,is 18 inches.
    However - -> I killed plenty of hogs and deer using my 10.5" AR. My dedicated night with thermal gun is now a 18" AR.
    My reccomendation is to never go below the 10.5". If I were to build another 6.8 AR pistol for MY usage it would be a 12.5". A dedicated hunting club gun ( non carry around),for the 200yd+ plots/rds/clear or strip cuts would be 20 or even a 22" gun. A 20 - 22" in a bolt gun. A 26" a single shot action.
    THEN - - -> for the reloader - -> carefully reserch bullets. Pick only bullets > 121grs. 100-110gr would be optimal. I shoot a properly designed 85gr for the speed/trajectory thing,but could easily,confidently switch. Especially to the Barnes 95gr TTSX.
    The 6.8SPC/SPCII is not a 270Win. Do your homework. Use INTELLEGENTLY.
    There are many documented instances of using the 6.8 on mule deer,and elk. This would not be my choice but a "can do". I have killed hogs up to 277lbs using this chambering. --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have been loading Nosler 90gr Bonded Performance, but I think they have discontinued them for a friend of mine on IMR4198.
    He likes them more than the XM68GD he had been using. I am using the Federal SPP cases he brings for his loads. I think both of his MSR are 16" Federal had made the GD bullet available so I will see what he brings for the next batch. He sure kills a bunch of hogs with them.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Yep, using 115gr fusion out of the 10.5 for now. Would like a 16 inch for stand work though. Just have to chase down a barrel. Gonna be hard to beat that MDWS 10.5 Barrel though, wow is it accurate.

Top Bottom