• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 72sofsme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Greetings,
    I am trying to figure out for my father what the appropriate loading data is for his T/C Encore 45-70 Govt. Of the three sections in almost any reloading manual, he typically uses the section labeled for the Marlin 1895's and below. Is there any information out there that would specifically place what he has into one of these categories so he knows that it is in fact "SAFE". Thank you for your time and help in advance.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    My Hornady manual breaks it down by pressure and bullet weight. The Trap Door et al. not to exceed 25,000 c.u.p. 300 grain bullets. The Marlin 1895 et al. not to exceed 40,000 c.u.p. with 325-350 grain bullets The Ruger #1 et al. not to exceed 50,000 c.u.p. with the heavier 500 grain bullets reserved only for the Ruger #1. This information will only serve as a starting point to get more information.

Short 2 minute YouTube video explaining the various frame sizes T/C made with Encore being the largest/beefiest frame/camber.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    go to castboolits, those guys can answer your questions.
    maybe this thread will help a little ?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The Encore action is one of the strongest made. You can get speciality bbl's in most any chambering.
    Chamberings that not only have a 60 - 65,000psi working pressure,but also have a large rim diameter that can take alot of case head thrust.
    The Ruger#1 45-70 loads are waaaay under acceptable pressures.
    I have an 21" Encore chambered in 500S&W Mag. And I typically load it HOT. Sometimes over book max. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If put together AND MAINTAINED properly,the first sign of an overload will be the action will pop open when the gun is fired.
    Not a big concern because the bullet is long gone and chamber pressure has dropped to zero.
    There is a "quick fix" for that also. ---- SAWMAN

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    From talking to sawman and doing some loading with a 375 h&h encore the rifle will hold up longer than your shoulder will.

72sofsme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Guess I will start looking for a 30-30 Win (30 WCF) barrel to play around with. Interested in seeing what this thing can do.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Guess I will start looking for a 30-30 Win (30 WCF) barrel to play around with. Interested in seeing what this thing can do.
    On an encore you may have better luck with a custom mfg barrel, contender is lot more common with 30/30 and other low pressure rounds.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Since S&W has dropped manufacture parts & barrels are drying up . Aftermarket is best bet but pricy . Greybeard Outdoors Forum has some classifieds for T/C & Handi Rifle stuff pretty much a little cult on there . I've got 3 Match Grade Machine barrels & they shoot , but start @ $ 400 .

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Since S&W has dropped manufacture parts & barrels are drying up . Aftermarket is best bet but pricy . Greybeard Outdoors Forum has some classifieds for T/C & Handi Rifle stuff pretty much a little cult on there . I've got 3 Match Grade Machine barrels & they shoot , but start @ $ 400 .
    Ya but do an ebay search and see what used barrels go for. New he'll at least get what he wants vs what someone else wanted.

Top Bottom