• ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Im moving from Escambia to Santa Rosa later this year. I only have one suppressor and its in a trust. Should I take it out of the trust and just hold it as an individual? How would I go about doing that?

fir

Just a guy
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    The process of moving it would be a Form 4 transfer from the Trust to you personally. Another 200 tax stamp. I can't say whether or not you should do that. As long as you are still a member on the trust, there is no reason why you couldn't hold your suppressor just because you moved to another county.

The only problem with moving would be if you transferred a Title 2 firearm across state lines, which you would have to notify the ATF of.

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The process of moving it would be a Form 4 transfer from the Trust to you personally. Another 200 tax stamp. I can't say whether or not you should do that. As long as you are still a member on the trust, there is no reason why you couldn't hold your suppressor just because you moved to another county.

The only problem with moving would be if you transferred a Title 2 firearm across state lines, which you would have to notify the ATF of.
    does that "state lines" only apply to firearms like an SBR etc? would that apply to suppressors?

fir

Just a guy
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I have a NFA firearm and I’m moving. What do I do?​

A registered possessor of an NFA firearm, other than a federal firearms licensee/special occupational taxpayer (FFL/SOT), may not lawfully transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle without prior written approval of ATF, specifically the NFA Branch.
    Approval for the transportation may be obtained by either a written request, or an approved application filed with ATF on Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms. Please note that applications to transport NFA firearms will be approved only if consistent with all state and local laws.
    [18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(4); 27 CFR § 478.28]

The ATF guidance specifically says destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's a suppressor. Move anywhere you want. The ATF doesn't have a right/need to know. Ever.

You only need to concern yourself with whether it's "allowed" in that state. Since you're going from Florida to Florida, it's a non-issue.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think it is only an issue for a trust if you move to another state.

If the trust is worded correctly by a knowledgeable attorney, the language should keep it legal/legitimate in all "free" states that allow suppressors. That's the only "issue" of changing states with a trust: is it still viable in the new state.

Regardless, there is Zero reason to notify the Guano Goons of interstate or intrastate movement of a suppressor.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ok, another question. I have my suppressor on a rifle and I want to zero it.
    What should I bring to the range to make sure I get my cycling correct? Different weight buffers and springs? I dont have an adjustable gas block, so I dont think I need to bring anything for that.

TYIA

RustedBolt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Since you mention buffers and springs, I would assume you are working with a direct gas impingement system.

If the upper is dedicated to shoot suppressed, I would try to tune the gas system to cycle on standard springs and buffers. If you swap in heavier springs and buffers to deal with the too much gas, you can get the setup to cycle relatively calmly, but it will be over gassed and probably not all that pleasant to shoot. You can tune the gas system old school or you can use an adjustable gas block.

Each upper I have is setup to run with a particular suppressor and has optics that are zeroed. With only one nicely setup SBR lower, I can run pretty much anything the platform will support with a simple upper swap-- no POA/POI shifts or spring/buffer swaps to worry about.

If you don't want to do that, I think there are gas blocks you can tune that have a suppressed/unsuppressed throw switch. Having gone the buffer/spring tuning route, I really would not recommend it, especially if you are using an AR10 platform or firing supersonic rounds through a suppressed system.

Last edited:

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Since you mention buffers and springs, I would assume you are working with a direct gas impingement system.

If the upper is dedicated to shoot suppressed, I would try to tune the gas system to cycle on standard springs and buffers. If you swap in heavier springs and buffers to deal with the too much gas, you can get the setup to cycle relatively calmly, but it will be over gassed and probably not all that pleasant to shoot. You can tune the gas system old school or you can use an adjustable gas block.

Each upper I have is setup to run with a particular suppressor and has optics that are zeroed. With only one nicely setup SBR lower, I can run pretty much anything the platform will support with a simple upper swap-- no POA/POI shifts or spring/buffer swaps to worry about.

If you don't want to do that, I think there are gas blocks you can tune that have a suppressed/unsuppressed throw switch. Having gone the buffer/spring tuning route, I really would not recommend it, especially if you are using an AR10 platform or firing supersonic rounds through a suppressed system.
    Thank you for the good info. I'm trying to shoot 300 Blackout from a 10.5 and a 16. Both have QDT for the suppressor and both are DI.

Ideally I would like to be able to shoot with or without the suppressor attached.

I'm using 220 Subs and 147 Supers.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    A properly gassed 300Blk will cycle supers and subs with and without a suppressor attached.
    However, some shorter guns will not cycle subs unsuppressed, which is not a big deal since unsuppressed subs are pointless.
    AAC spec calls for a carbine buffer. Try it that way, but if suppressed suppers show to be a little brisk, maybe toss an H1 in there. This could be the case in the 16 since it has increased dwell time.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thank you for the good info. I'm trying to shoot 300 Blackout from a 10.5 and a 16. Both have QDT for the suppressor and both are DI.

Ideally I would like to be able to shoot with or without the suppressor attached.

I'm using 220 Subs and 147 Supers.
    I also have a 10.5" 300 BO SBR. If you want to make it cycle shooting subs and no suppressor you can do what I did. I took the barrel and using a drill press drilled out the gas port and then installed an adj gas block. I made it work just because the internet keyboard ferrets said it would not. Make it easy to get to the adj gas block because you will want to tone it down when you put the suppressor on.

I have two suppressers I can use for 300 BO. The YHM Ti-QD and the YHM 9mm Sidewinder. You can use it with 300 BO subs only.

I also have a 16" 300 BO AR but I only shoot supers through it.

Good Luck...

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    A properly gassed 300Blk will cycle supers and subs with and without a suppressor attached.
    However, some shorter guns will not cycle subs unsuppressed, which is not a big deal since unsuppressed subs are pointless.
    AAC spec calls for a carbine buffer. Try it that way, but if suppressed suppers show to be a little brisk, maybe toss an H1 in there. This could be the case in the 16 since it has increased dwell time.
    I guess my question is how do I make sure they cycle correctly since I don't have adjustable gas blocks? Is messing with different buffers going to be enough if they dont cycle well??

Latest posts

Top Bottom