• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I'm going to be using some adapters and extensions. I've been reading and seems it's a good idea to use suppressor alignment rods. Before I dig into all that's out there, do you have a favorite? I was told my dead air to check out Brownells

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You can buy rods from McMaster Carr for much less. I have suppressor rods from SureFire that were like $75 each.

I later bought some rods from McMaster Carr after seeing a post on another forum. You can cut them down to what ever length you want and bevel the edges for a smooth fit.

I bought a 3' section for .223/.224 bores (0.2188") at $5.12 and one 3' section for .308 bores (0.2969") for $6.67.

Search for this on their site:

Tight-Tolerance Oil-Hardening O1 Tool Steel Rod

Last edited:

jonparker4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can buy rods from McMaster Carr for much less. I have suppressor rods from SureFire that were like $75 each.

I later bought some rods from McMaster Carr after seeing a post on another forum. You can cut them down to what ever length you want and bevel the edges for a smooth fit.

I bought a 3' section for .223/.224 bores (0.2188") at $5.12 and one 3' section for .308 bores (0.2969") for $6.67.

Thanks for the info I just ordered some myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ok... So, not to hijack the thread... What's the point of suppressor rods? Should you use them every time?

Iv never heard of them before.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Use them on a new host to make sure the barrel thread or adapter is concentric. Keep from having baffle strikes. That's not good. Worth checking. If it goes down to the bolt you know the bore is aligned with the suppressor

Last edited:

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ah. I must have got lucky with the first 2. Ill keep that in mind on the others.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Would these McMaster rods be good for pushing out a stuck case (rather than damaging a cleaning rod) or when slugging a bore?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Would these McMaster rods be good for pushing out a stuck case (rather than damaging a cleaning rod) or when slugging a bore?

I'd think so, they are hardened steel.

But I'd not want more than 1", 2" max to be sticking out of the bore when fully inserted. Less exposed rod to flex and possibly damage the crown.

Maybe several progressively longer sections to use as you go for slugging a barrel.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yes they are. I am getting slightly smaller rod diameter for better clearance in the barrel. I am also checking for brass rods from McMaster to better protect the barrel.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Thanks for the info I just ordered some myself.

Yep, I'm ordering some now

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Forgive me - -> trying to learn here.
    Your objective is to make sure your bore is in PERFECT allignment with your muzzle device ... CORRECT ??
    If that is so,seems that any perfectly streight rod,of the appropriate OD,would work to verify allignment.
    I would suspect JJ could build you guys these at a cost savings. Especially if he got a large(er) order.
    Not speaking for JJ - -> just a thought from a member trying to learn something new. ---- SAWMAN

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'd think so, they are hardened steel.

But I'd not want more than 1", 2" max to be sticking out of the bore when fully inserted. Less exposed rod to flex and possibly damage the crown.

Maybe several progressively longer sections to use as you go for slugging a barrel.

Ugh, that reminds me I have a Lightning replica in .38/.357 that has a ruptured case stuck in it.
    What size should I get?

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    To clarify, there are bore alignment tools(rods) and then there are brass rods for removing stuck cases and projectiles(squibs). I'd rather prod with a brass rod in a barrel than a steel rod. Different metals for different purposes.
    I agree. Wouldn't want to use a brass one for alignment after I've banged on it. Tool steel is where it's at for measuring (imo)

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I would worry about this on something with poor machining like an AK or low end AR barrels... or a bubba garage thread job.... anything else, just send it.

Most baffle or end cap strikes are a result of the suppressor not being properly attached. Just my opinion, and your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I would worry about this on something with poor machining like an AK or low end AR barrels... or a bubba garage thread job.... anything else, just send it.

Most baffle or end cap strikes are a result of the suppressor not being properly attached. Just my opinion, and your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Yeah, @DeadlyThreatDefense helped me set mine up. He may have used an alignment rod without me realizing that's what he was doing.
    Its a bummer he's not into shooting as much anymore.

I have a feeling my MPX is going to be really goofy to get set up. Youtube has me a little worried about it. lol

jonparker4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome advice, I ordered mine Wednesday afternoon and received them yesterday in less than 24 hours. That’s what I call service and it was only $34 for 3 rods with shipping.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom