• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Went and shot my Mosin Nagant this past weekend at 100 yards with iron sights and it sucked because I couldnt see what I was or wasnt hitting. I had to wait to the range went cold and walk down to see where I needed to adjust my aim so I am in the market for a range observation binocular. Anyone here have any experience with these?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Would suggest no bino's .... spotting scope. You want one that has at least 25X ... 40X would be even better. I can see a .224" hole at 200yds with my 25X but that's the limit. And mine is a good brand with good glass. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Most range type spotting scopes nowadays are variable power. 25X-45X,30X-60X,etc. Like binos or a weapon scope,in a spotting scope you most always get what you pay for,although this is not as critical(IMO)and the two others. This,unless you will be using it on a big game hunt and looking from mountain top to mountain top.

A good "enough" quality spotting scope to be used on the bench at the range can be had for little money nowadays. Take a look at Gander Mt., Cabelas,Academy,Sportsmans Guide,Midway,Optics Planet,Camera Land,etc,etc. --- SAWMAN

drew

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did you ever end up picking up a spotting scope? I'm really interested to get some input on a "good enough" model out there.

My background is in photography so my instinct is to buy Leica (I shoot with an old Leica)...but I don't have $2k to spare right now haha. Really looking more in the $100-200 range.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I always set my 60x spotting scope up but also use my binocs and a 50x monocular, if you want to try that before buying a spotting scope..it would help if they have a tripod mount but not necessary.

drew

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really like the idea of a simple monocular to be honest. Easy to fit in my bag/pocket/etc.

Thanks for the input everyone (and sorry to hijack this thread).

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I tried the monocular idea with a vortex 10x25. No better than looking through the 3x magn on my rifle. I'm in the market for a spotting scope at this time. Just sayin

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Next time you're at the range, ask some of the guys if they'll give you a peek through their scopes and/or binoculars. Nothing like a hands-on test. Power with clarity is expensive, so you won't want to over do it unless you plan on shooting at longer ranges in the future. What you need now can be done on the cheep. By the way, if you're interested in a pair of binoculars rather than a spotting scope, don't forget the marine outlets when it comes time buy. They often have great deals on decent binoculars.

drew

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ended up getting binoculars - Nikon Aculon 10x50...tried them out and was really impressed with the overall quality. The image is nice and bright as well as tack sharp. There is a rebate right now and you can get em for $100 shipped.

Can't wait for them to arrive!

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have a cheap barska spotting scope that was given to me as a gift years ago. It has a power range of 20x-60x. And has been great for all my needs. Came with a tripod, lens covers, and a case. Clear and sharp images. I can see .308 holes at 300yds with ease. (Furthest range I have available to me)

drew

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You know - I went to Bass Pro yesterday to look at binoculars and spotting scopes. Guy behind the counter told me the same thing. Recommended a Barksa scope..sounds like a nice setup! Thank you for the input by the way. That sounds like a killer deal.

Top Bottom