• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunslinger13

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    carried Glock 21 ,Para CCW , Kimber 1911 ,
    Glock 30s first few years but for the last 10 or so a Glock 27 for church and everyday gun and a Glock 23 for when dress allows or need extra rounds both with 9mm conversions and both dremeled /stippled and with red dots , wife carries Glock 43x its perfect for small hands

F843F083-C3E4-471B-989C-162B0BAE57E0.jpeg

Ingramite

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    20200209_111542.jpg

Size and summer carry?

This is a 1911 Government thats been dehorned and smoothed like a worn bar of soap. The finish is the tried,true, and well proven Armaloy that's been used on severe duty arms for decades. Coupled with a slim bushings set and slim micarta grip panels and a clip grip.

With a good belt this baby rides IWB held firmly against me at 3 o'clock covered by a lite t shirt.

Size does matter.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The lightweight Combat Commander is a bit large to be a Subcompact. Even the smaller .380 ACP 1911 Government Model doesn't size up as a Sub-compact. If it's a .45 ACP, perhaps it's time to travel up to Shooters and finger a Glock Model 36?
    Afterall, there is no replacement for cubic inch displacement!

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Come March my attire switches to shorts, an untucked polo, and JC Cruisers. It appears to me that most folks like the Glock 9mm family for CCW. But I'm not sold on 9mm Glocks with barrels shorter than 5 inches. I'm a big bore believer, so could I get some input from folks armed with the Glock 36 in .45ACP. If I'm going to switch to a subcompact and sacrifice caliber, concealability (tiny) probably rules out. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

G36 isn't much smaller than a G19. Had one for a few years. 15 round mags beat out 6 rounders to me. 9mm projectiles have come a long way in recent years and thats why I switched to 9mm. The G48-43× are only thinner by 1/10 of an inch compared to the G19.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    View attachment 91320

Size and summer carry?

This is a 1911 Government thats been dehorned and smoothed like a worn bar of soap. The finish is the tried,true, and well proven Armaloy that's been used on severe duty arms for decades. Coupled with a slim bushings set and slim micarta grip panels and a clip grip.

With a good belt this baby rides IWB held firmly against me at 3 o'clock covered by a lite t shirt.

Size does matter.
    1st -beautiful weapon. 2nd I'm notoriously bad about dinging, scraping, or scuffing cc firearms. ( dropped even) Im carring all day, everyday.. if i have pants on,, i have a weapon. I'd be scared to take that out of the house. Ymmv

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    G36 isn't much smaller than a G19. Had one for a few years. 15 round mags beat out 6 rounders to me. 9mm projectiles have come a long way in recent years and thats why I switched to 9mm. The G48-43× are only thinner by 1/10 of an inch compared to the G19.

Are 6 .45 ACP's greater than or equal to 15 9mm's out of 3 inch barrels?
    If your facing 7 perps perhaps?
    If your bracing just 1 perp??????????

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Marines in the current conflict. Countless minor skirmishes in between all over the Middle East, Central and South America. Over 100 years of vets have vetted the 1911 and the 45ACP. It all comes down to training and just how badass you are

Ingramite

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My theory is to pick a pistol that you do well with, as far as speed and accuracy. Then figure out how to conceal and carry it.

This approach naturally begins with bigger than sub-compact pistols as they have a bigger sight picture and an advantage in soaking up recoil. I guess sight picture on a self defense pistol that will most likely be deployed in short range point shooting might be a moot point though.

A lot of shooters begin with a small sub-compact pistol for the sole reason that it's more easily concealed. Smaller pistols that are harder to shoot well. Stout recoil of smaller and lighter pistols can easily cause both flinch and anticipation.

Last edited:

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Are 6 .45 ACP's greater than or equal to 15 9mm's out of 3 inch barrels?
    If your facing 7 perps perhaps?
    If your bracing just 1 perp??????????

You're mindset isn't dealing with reality here. All you gotta do is watch a little news to see that you should be prepared for multiple assailants. Best case scenario, you pop one, the others scatter. Bad people don't work solo, so i prepare for the worst. If someone wants to go 1 on 1, so be it... more pills for him. The caliber debate is over. Carry what you like, and I'll do the same. You asked for input, and you're debating every answer. Find what works for you, get plenty of training/practice, and stick to it.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yep.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200905-060257_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20200905-060257_Chrome.jpg
      110.2 KB · Views: 211
    • Screenshot_20200905-053124_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20200905-053124_Chrome.jpg
      129.5 KB · Views: 208
    • Screenshot_20200905-062525_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20200905-062525_Chrome.jpg
      123.7 KB · Views: 203

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nowadays,with the happenings going on in the US,the higher mag cap pistols are a good choice. There is no way that I would carry,or recommend a 5 or 6 shot revo. Especially with it's non ability for a quick reload.
    Moon clips,speed loaders,speed strips,etc, have never done it for me anyway. Even back in the daze that I was "forced" to carry a revo.
    If you did not mind "bigger",a Kel Tec PMR 30 on your hip and a CMR 30 in the back seat seems like a good - -> GREAT idea anyway. Using the same mags would be a huge plus. Of course that is a plus for my Glocks also. With Glock 31 mags,I can use them in my 32 and 33 for reloads if need be. --- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I pocket carry a p938. Has been my main pocket gun for 4+ years during shorts/short sleeve seasons. I don’t use the pinky extension magazine either. I have soft pocket holster and place a small paper notebook in front to hide shape. I feel comfortable with drawing and shooting. I have carried others but with kids and all the other shit I end up having to lug around, the p938 during the short/ short sleeve seasons it is my go to. I have better options in my vehicle/house, but for my pocket everyday all year option, I enjoy it. When I can wear a jacket/ layers I do sometimes carry other options.

Thank You. Have you ever experienced a failure to fire during a range session with your P938? Please & Thank You for sharing.

G-rat, the debate is internal. As Raven stated the .45 ACP has been vetted in Combat & on The Street. I've found the 9mm NATO to be wanting even in 5 inch barrels (thus the 17L & 34L reside in the Locker) I'm familiar with how easy it is for a person of my size/stature to effectively conceal a PPK/S, & the Sig P938 is a bit smaller while sporting 9mm NATO vice .380 ACP. Neither of which give me a warm & fuzzy, but both of which are far easier to conceal than a .45 ACP.

The most comfortable I've been with a CCW was a 19 oz .44 Charter Arms Target Bulldog, but as also stated reloading is time consuming. So a .45 ACP or .44 loaded to near Mag Vel has yet to be made in a pistol the size of a PPK/S. Yet the standard 6 rounds of a revolver with the ability to reload at the rate of a mag fed semi auto doesn't find me wringing my hands with concern. My anxiety rises when I have to compromise on known previous performance and the convenience of known previous concealment.

It's the compromise of Unobtainium!

Now if it seems that I've debated the inputs that I've requested, perhaps that is due to the fact that most of US never open up the Pro/Con book that we use to determine what sidearm we selected? Once we have made our decision/purchase it is normal to pushback/debate upon why others have not come to the same conclusion.

Since I'm still operating a keyboard it's obvious that my way has worked so far, yet I'd be foolish to think that the only way is my way, thus I ask others to share thier way. But yes, "Lucy You Got Some Splaining to do" I'm not afraid to ask or answer when our comparable shared experiences come to a fork in the road. Thanks for Y'all's Time & Experiences. If I rubbed Y'all's Rhubarb the wrong way, I Apologize

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nowadays,with the happenings going on in the US,the higher mag cap pistols are a good choice. There is no way that I would carry,or recommend a 5 or 6 shot revo. Especially with it's non ability for a quick reload.
    Moon clips,speed loaders,speed strips,etc, have never done it for me anyway. Even back in the daze that I was "forced" to carry a revo.
    If you did not mind "bigger",a Kel Tec PMR 30 on your hip and a CMR 30 in the back seat seems like a good - -> GREAT idea anyway. Using the same mags would be a huge plus. Of course that is a plus for my Glocks also. With Glock 31 mags,I can use them in my 32 and 33 for reloads if need be. --- SAWMAN
    Stop it! I don't need anymore guns!! , well maybe 2. . .30 rds of .22 mag might stop a BG or a whole group of BG's. Dammit

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just to speak to the caliber debate, there is plenty of empirical study out there of effectiveness of most modern ammo, even tested specifically out of short barrels. While gel isn’t street experience, it does provide apples to apples comparison between caliber and bullet designs.

I’m quite comfortable with 124+p HSTs or gold dots in just about any 9mm (I carry a CZ P07, Shield, or Glock 19 in that order of frequency and am comfortable with their differences). Also fine with standard pressure 147s in modern bullets. I wouldn’t fault anyone for going for more displacement, but I feel fine. I have no DD214 so feel free to dismiss my opinion. Respect to all of you who have served.

Here’s a link to the most comprehensive testing in one place I’ve found. No shortage of calibers represented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just to speak to the caliber debate, there is plenty of empirical study out there of effectiveness of most modern ammo, even tested specifically out of short barrels. While gel isn’t street experience, it does provide apples to apples comparison between caliber and bullet designs.

I’m quite comfortable with 124+p HSTs or gold dots in just about any 9mm (I carry a CZ P07, Shield, or Glock 19 in that order of frequency and am comfortable with their differences). Also fine with standard pressure 147s in modern bullets. I wouldn’t fault anyone for going for more displacement, but I feel fine. I have no DD214 so feel free to dismiss my opinion. Respect to all of you who have served.

Here’s a link to the most comprehensive testing in one place I’ve found. No shortage of calibers represented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To begin, Thank You again Kubasaki. (really close to Polish Smoked Sausage) I've heard a few folks opine about failures to fire/feed and as long as there is a single 147 Grain load that performs flawlessly I'll be wringing my hands a bit less than I would if armed with a .380 ACP Walther PPK/S.

A DD214 only denotes that Uncle Sam Wanted You, or you volunteered to be part of "The Greater Good." There are many folks without DD214's that Serve and Protect thier Communities every day. Your opinion is your opinion and it shall not be dismissed on account of a DD214 or otherwise in My Humble Opinion. Now I might give a little greater weight to folks with certain Campaign Ribbons/Medals and DD214's relating thier actual experiences, but I retain the privilege of selecting who was where and how much I weigh thier experience within the equation, if you don't mind?

In Military Parlance: I chose not to be a "Ring Knocker", yet I am "The One" that "Ring Knockers" race across the Hanger During Military Ceremonies to take selfies with. But experience & knowledge are not relegated to a DD214. JMHO.

But it does still equate to "There is no replacement to cubic inch displacement" as effective as a .355 projectile is at a certain velocity, a .43-45 projectile at the same velocity is more authoritarian. Same make, model, and velocity of projectile cubic inch displacement is always the trump card. JMHO. Now it's just a matter of what hand wringing vs concealability that I can live with?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If I am not mistaken,the 6" 357Mag,shooting a 125@1450 is still the very best "one shot" man stopper of all time.
    This . . . . for comparison purposes only. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: MY Glock 31will come really,REALLY,close to that. (HA!!)

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup, you are mistaken. It is and has been second best to the .44 Mag 240 grain and these have even been surpassed today! Sorry to repute your post SAWMAN, but no the .357 Mag isn't the end all! There are folks that don't currently describe to your philosophy ! But they carry heavier sidearms currently.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom