• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Come March it's time to retire the Glock 21SF as a CCW.
    Now some may say that subcompact CCW is a mistake.
    But what and why did you select a subcompact CCW?
    Now I'm most comfortable with a DA/SA Decocking lever equipped sidearm, but I'll share that I've got no problems with the 1911 manual of arms. But I have hesitations with attempting a snatch,grab, and fire with striker fired sidearms of miniscule proportions without any safety when drawn from within my shorts.

I'm just going to listen unless Y'all need or request an input.

Thanks for your knowledge, opinions, and perspective.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,I read the post re. a subcompact is a mistake also. Depending on the "official" definition of a subcompact I most likely do not agree with that assumption.
    I carried a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II for quite a few years and put quite a few rds thru it. It's 3" bbl was a pleasure to carry and the weapon had zero FTF and FTE issues using the Wilson 47D guts in the Kimber mags.
    Nowadays my EDC is a Glock 33. A little smaller than the Kimber,but not as flat. Love this gun also.
    I believe that a mistake that people make is expecting a EDC pistol or revo to do the job of a small light,compact,carbine. The distances that people train at is too far. IMO the max is 25yds. And that is a LONG max. 3,5,7,or at the absolute most 10yds,COM,second button down,is what works for me.
    People need to substitute some of those longer distances for good COM hits . . . FAST . . . at the 7 and 10yd line.
    Of course . . the above is in my opinion. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Striker fired is the way to go on compact and subcompact. You just need a good holster.
    Might I ask what your experiences are other than striker fired? Great Response but I wish you could elaborate on the grey areas vice giving me Black & White statements. Thank You.
    All sidearms have pro's & cons, Please tip my scales!

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have had sub compacts of all kinds. The 1911s had the most problems. I love sigs but if you take a da/sa gun and start looking at first round and solos up shots you will see a big difference. You basically have to learn to shoot two different guns - the double action for the first round and the single action for the second. The hardest round to get on point is also the most important - the first one

A striker fire shoots the same first round to the last.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For me . . I would never own a SA/DA with decocker. Too many gadgets,too complecatad,too much to learn.
    I suppose that this is why I switched from 1911 to Glock about 17 years ago now. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have had sub compacts of all kinds. The 1911s had the most problems. I love sigs but if you take a da/sa gun and start looking at first round and solos up shots you will see a big difference. You basically have to learn to shoot two different guns - the double action for the first round and the single action for the second. The hardest round to get on point is also the most important - the first one

A striker fire shoots the same first round to the last.

Excellent post, very enlightening.

I was eyeballing the SIG 1911 based P938 Series, but somehow I haven't heard much about the problems. Am I overlooking something? When you had problems in the past did it include Gold Dot 147 Factory Ammo?

Ingramite

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Sig P290RS might be a pistol that is worth looking at. It was the darling of the Sig sub-compact line immediately before their P365 made the big splash.

It's a DAO hammer fired poly frame that is small and smooth, made for pocket carry.
    This little gem was chambered in both 9mm and .380.

I was able to score the Sig laser site so I then removed the iron sights from the top of the slide for a true snag free presentation from my front pocket.

Pistols today, especially Sigs, have a shelf life about as long as a quart of milk. When they decide to drop a model it's like a bad habit. They do it frequently and when they do the pistols left behind are cheap. You just hope you don't need spare parts or magazines.

The long and short is that the P290RS is very reasonable, or at least it was before the world went crazy.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yep. As much as I like Glocks for EDC and competition, if WW3 ever came knocking I'd be reaching for my M9

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200826-182311_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20200826-182311_Chrome.jpg
      139 KB · Views: 223

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Sig P290RS might be a pistol that is worth looking at. It was the darling of the Sig sub-compact line immediately before their P365 made the big splash.

It's a DAO hammer fired poly frame that is small and smooth, made for pocket carry.
    This little gem was chambered in both 9mm and .380.

I was able to score the Sig laser site so I then removed the iron sights from the top of the slide for a true snag free presentation from my front pocket.

Pistols today, especially Sigs, have a shelf life about as long as a quart of milk. When they decide to drop a model it's like a bad habit. They do it frequently and when they do the pistols left behind are cheap. You just hope you don't need spare parts or magazines.

The long and short is that the P290RS is very reasonable, or at least it was before the world went crazy.

Duckyou made a very good presentation about the pitfalls of DA sidearms. Even more important is the training level required for DA/SA sidearms. But I have an ingrained 1911 manual of arms within my muscle memory, so with an OAL of 5.9 inches, OAW of 1.1 inches, and a 17 oz weight, the P938 is nearly the same size/weight as the Walther PPK/S OAL 6.1 inches, OAW 1 inch, 19 oz weight. .380 ACP vice 9 mm Parabellum there is no approximate difference at short barrel velocities between the two chambrings other than factory weights of the projectiles. (JMHO) Now just because I understand and side with your opinions, perhaps we are overlooking more modern input from other members? Thank You for your insight.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep. As much as I like Glocks for EDC and competition, if WW3 ever came knocking I'd be reaching for my M9

I probably shouldn't respond, but can you tell me why the P226 made the grade for 5326 NEC members? I can, but don't want to delve into M9 Beretta failures. Perhaps those M9 Failures lead to 5326's being armed with P226's? Why are the Combat Craft Members being armed with Glock 19's nowadays? Perhaps another better sidearm?

We can can go to WW3 anyday Raven, love to have you on my side! Think You would be willing to learn from my experience? Or is the past no more than just the past and I should be all ears on your current knowledge????????????

Not poking you in the eye, listening with both ears so that you can educate me with what is happening to today's Warriorior. Thank You for your input. But the M9? Really?

Last edited:

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    having carried a gun for the better part of 3 decades now, G19 is EDC. when i can't because of environment, or dress, i switch to a G43. same thing, just smaller scale. its platform commonality for me. glocks are pretty ingrained on me now and the controls are the same. i never juggle carry guns or platforms. carried a DA/SA for years, SA only too, but for roughly 20 years it's glock. glocks go bang but don't do much else for me. reliability is paramount and they prove to be just that, over and over again.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    having carried a gun for the better part of 3 decades now, G19 is EDC. when i can't because of environment, or dress, i switch to a G43. same thing, just smaller scale. its platform commonality for me. glocks are pretty ingrained on me now and the controls are the same. i never juggle carry guns or platforms. carried a DA/SA for years, SA only too, but for roughly 20 years it's glock. glocks go bang but don't do much else for me. reliability is paramount and they prove to be just that, over and over again.

There are many who have carried, but thankfully few that have drawn. Which perspective was it that you wished to present the other members of the forum?
    (Sorry if I made you uncomfortable)

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    The g43 for deeper concealment. Sorry, i tend to ramble after being locked up in the house with my 2 lils for 5 months!

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The g43 for deeper concealment. Sorry, i tend to ramble after being locked up in the house with my 2 lils for 5 months!
    Rambling, a problem I also have.
    We do need to have a meeting of the mind sizes!
    Please examine the dimensions of the largest of weapons being carried!
    Keep those lils safe regardless of the sidearm you choose to defend them.
    Please perform at a level that I need not drop a Nine Line to bring you back to Momma & the 2 littles. But if it's required, I shall perform the task. Just My Humble Word. Perhaps my word is actually my bond?

G43 is a little larger than the SIG,striker fired vice 1911 SA, but definitely in the subcompact class. Every time I look into Glocks lineup I'm so tempted by the G30, guess it's technically a subcompact? With short barrels I don't know just how much difference there is in .380 ACP & 9 Parabellum other than projectile weight & muzzle flash? So lets say that the dimensions of the Glock 30 would be the extreme upper end of subcompact?

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Come March my attire switches to shorts, an untucked polo, and JC Cruisers. It appears to me that most folks like the Glock 9mm family for CCW. But I'm not sold on 9mm Glocks with barrels shorter than 5 inches. I'm a big bore believer, so could I get some input from folks armed with the Glock 36 in .45ACP. If I'm going to switch to a subcompact and sacrifice caliber, concealability (tiny) probably rules out. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    No glock here. KT PF9. Galco lite shoulder holster ,owb belt slide or pocket sleeve. That shoulder rig is the "E" ticket ride. The PF9 is way more accurate than iam even with the dao trigger. Double strike, no bs safety, DROP SAFE,16 oz loaded. Light. Goes bang and kills with authority. Ymmv.

Attachments

• 20200421_163859.jpg
      20200421_163859.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 201
    • 66742-ae6335a4f1c97cf0eae9c870f757072c.jpg
      66742-ae6335a4f1c97cf0eae9c870f757072c.jpg
      73.7 KB · Views: 184

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Love the Galco Miami Rig, but concealment under a Polo?
    Got a couple of cargo pockets in the Bermuda Shorts, I'm well versed in behind the back carry, but I don't need a hole in my six while under distress!

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Love the Galco Miami Rig, but concealment under a Polo?
    Got a couple of cargo pockets in the Bermuda Shorts, I'm well versed in behind the back carry, but I don't need a hole in my while under distress!
    Tee and fishing shirt, shorts, flops. Miami rig is nice, got one for my 1911. Lite rig with the pf9 is fantastic. RackinRay turned me on to it, (thanks Ray) can even carry spare mag. A#1 for cc.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tee and fishing shirt, shorts, flops. Miami rig is nice, got one for my 1911. Lite rig with the pf9 is fantastic. RackinRay turned me on to it, (thanks Ray) can even carry spare mag. A#1 for cc.

Never been printed with a Miami Rig while sporting a Tee or Fishing Shirt?

Top Bottom