• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Imnotbruce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I'm going to be dehorning a Beretta 92 soon as a project and I intend to send it to Mahovskys to finish the whole gun in their Nickel Boron coat for wear/corrosion resistance and to smooth up the internals similar to the Langdon NP3. But I've read a few different things about Beretta's bruniton finish, namely how resistant it is to corrosion (even though I've had no trouble getting a few bruniton guns to look like they're wearing through). Does anyone here have experience stripping bruniton finish? I was going to let the slide sit in acetone for a while and see how that worked, but if someone has experience I'd love to hear what worked for you.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    Why not buy an Onyx instead? I may be missing something. However, I can't think of a reason you would want to strip a Bruniton finish. How would you be bettering yourself?

Imnotbruce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Why not buy an Onyx instead? I may be missing something. However, I can't think of a reason you would want to strip a Bruniton finish. How would you be bettering yourself?
    The thinking is because I'd be filing the frame for the dehorn (modify beavertail, undercut trigger guard, bevel the callus/sore maker on the triggerguard) I'm going to refinish the frame to protect the exposed aluminum. If I'm going to refinish the frame it would be an opportunity to get the slide in a matching finish, to quiet that nagging voice in my head every time I look at the gun. And for the internals, nickel boron would be a benefit. So I'm getting the frame and internals coated/plated I figure why not throw in the slide and have the whole set. CCR and Mahovsky both have very reasonable prices for what look like very fine finishes(CCR with CPII, Nikote. And Mahovsky with metalife, NiB.)

The gun would also be a labor of love because all my bases are covered and this would be a fun project to pour money into and brag about to people I don't know who don't care.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Hottest stuff I ever used as far as a stripper is the Aircraft paint remover they sell in spray cans. They might make it in a paste form, not sure tho. One can should do the job tho and works fast. That's if it will cut that finish tho. They used to sell the spray cans of it at Walmart for cheap.

Top Bottom