HD Tactical

Stopped by a northern Indiana gun shop today....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've got a Honda S2000 that I've never pushed through some curves. I'd love to do a road trip there. I may have to plan a trip up there this spring. Is there anywhere closer than Tenn and the "Dragon" that I could go to? FL roads just don't hack it.

Thanks for the reply.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm in a few car groups, there were some guys talking about a "mini dragon" somewhere in Alabama, never looked into it.

Yea any of the 2 seater rwd cars are fun, there were a bunch of Miatas up there which I expected.

On the flat stretches we got up to about 80mph, it's a twisty road so big power isn't needed, more torque than anything to come out of the corners but you are literally turning the wheel just about the whole time and you can't see through most corners, why the general rule is to stay on your side of the road and hope you don't go off the edge if you're pushing it.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I might be wrong but isn’t there over 300 curves in that 11 mile stretch of road.
    Had to look it up 318 curves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yup, 318 curves in that 11 miles, most with no guard rails. The tree full of bike parts at the Motorcycle Lodge there in Deals Gap says enough..

20201001_090702.jpg

And yea one didn't make it..

20201001_090009.jpg

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Interestingly, I went and got a haircut yesterday and wound up talking to a guy while waiting. He is a "bike" rider and has done the Dragon many times. He has a cabin in NC. His comment is "do it". Says that it is about an 8 hr drive up there.

CARGUNGUY, I'd love to do the Dragon in my C2 Corvette (if I could ever fulfill my dream).

Still gotta do more research and try and plan a trip this spring. Trying to convience my neighbor, e is a Harley guy, to do the trip with me.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea, it is fun but know your limits and capabilities. One from the other day, guy came in the corner a little too hot. I bet the bike went over the edge.

FB_IMG_1612295796346.jpg

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's about 50% of the ride is the possibility of either (50%) eating the side of the mountain wall or (50%) flying off a curve either from your non-driving skills, or that of others. And I'm talking Pearly Gate plunges if you go off some curves. Very Very few guardrails, And then you have the totally inexperienced riders there. They drive 10-15mph the whole way and don't use the pull-overs, forcing others to dangerously pass them, dangerous because you can't see what's flying around a curve toward you, sometimes until it's too late.
    Many wrecks annually, and at least 1 death every year except 1998, there were 5 deaths in 2009.
    Many, Many Idiots. Seen 2 bike crashes when I was there, 1 going up and 1 coming back down both crotch rockets. I ate the inside wall near the top end when 3 mg's and a 'vette were racing down and trying to pass each other. That 1 asshole (mg) barely missed my freeway bars all the while my right grip was scrubbing the wall. My bike was off the pavement when the 1st two were passing on a tight curve (well they're all tight, but this one was super tight). The 'vette (last car) cut back to his side and jammed his brakes, he did say sorry for what it's worth.
    So if you go, be careful. It's a nice ride if you catch it when the macho idiots aren't there.
    Sometimes it's cheaper to rent a cabin than it is a motel. So check that too. g/l.

Last edited:

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea we stayed in Robbinsville. Nice drive from there to the Dragon. People pulling over is to good courtesy to others. We went up and were balls to the wall for what it was, if someone was slow we backed off and they pulled over for us, then back to it. Definitely stay on your side of the road and don't pass. I'll hammer a car through there but I'll do it safe. Stupid is where you get wiped out.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Did some research. Found a web site with a lot of info. Found this interesting:

1. "Average Tail of the Dragon Corner" would be defined as follows:
      • Turn Entrance - 61 feet
      • Turn Radius - a 120 degree arc of constant 29 foot radius,
      • Total radius length - 61 feet
      • Turn Exit - 61 feet
    2. The turn Entrance and turn Exit legs would be at a 60 degree angle to each other
    3. Average Apex-to-Apex distance - 183 feet
    4. Straight line distance from Start to Finish of the 11 convoluted miles - 6.7 miles

So, if the Dragon were "standardized", you would have 318 corners 183 feet apart, each with an Entrance/Exit angle of 60 degrees and a corner radius of 29 feet. THAT IS TIGHT.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea, and like you said that is average numbers.... some are really tight and some are nice and smooth.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    this thread went way off-topic, but since we're there...

Make sure you guys that go up there to ride/drive also hit the Cherohala Skyway, and there's a smaller and I think almost more fun road called the Moonshiner or something like that not far from the dragon. Bigger cruiser bikes that like to stretch a longer easier ride will also enjoy the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Foothills Pkwy is also a nice scenic ride.

nrajeeper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To keep with the detour....

we were in a VA and came across the "Back of the Dragon".... we were in a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited so speeds were low but nice views...

Never been on the Tail, but going by the pictures here and elsewhere, the Back looks tame.... but if in VA, might be worth the look...

I need to see what my non-local friends are finding for ammo - TX, AL and Tampa area.

Top Bottom