• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Asked and ANSWERED multiple times. It's still cheaper than the vast majority of center fire rounds, has low recoil, allows shooter to optically stay on target(s) and cycles for faster follow up shot(s) or engagement of multiple targets like the following:
    Boar, deer, antelope, yotes, prairie dogs, jack rabbits, nutria, wild invasive goats, coons, rock chuck, marmot, ground squirrel and crow: multiple animal = multiple shots = Semi-Auto. For the mere fact of "wanting" a faster follow up shot, no matter "what" your shooting: is more then enough justification on its own and so is any application towards personal defense. It was extremely popular with Aussies for "Roo" population control until they banned it. However, their gov still uses it for that purpose.

Do 8-9 million 5.56/.223 semi-auto rifle owners hunt those animals? No. It has other uses as have also been identified in other comments. You apparantly abandoned the loosing 30-30 comparison and now are playing a "that a civilian can realistically accomplish" angle. You keep po pooing every sensible answer that has been provided to you. Are you just eliminating every possible use except that common AW ban cry that there's only one use for weapons of war shit? Is that the agenda you are trying to push? Spit it out and be done with it.

Now about your following:

A 7.62 x 39, 6.5 or 7.62 x 51 AR with proper loadings and a legal hunting 5 round mag, shall outperform the 5.56 on game animals both large & small. Hence the 5.56 being compared to the 30-30 to which it can't even compete afield on deer or larger game.

The semi-automatic 16 inch barreled .223/5.56 isn't a weapon of war, and it shouldn't be confused with class III Full Automatic 11.25 or 14 inch barreled actually effective Home Defense AR's that run higher on a much higher budget. Leave the Motion Picture/ Video Game class III AR's on the screen. The average AR is at best a mag feed semi-automatic that is limited to a 5 round mag afield by LAW. Take away the pistol grip & DI cycling system and it's no different than any other semi-automatic hunting rifle over the last century, and is under powered compared to it's contemporizes.

So I'm not poo pooing sensible answers, I'm just not listening to the Fan Boy want to be answers that refuse to accept that the Best Role for the .223/5.56 Civilian Semi-automatic AR is as a Target or Small Game Varmint rifle afield. Right or wrong most States use the 1000 foot pound kinetic energy formula for (200 lb) Deer sized & above game animals, which restricts the .223/5.56 x45 to 100 yards at most. So I'll spit it out, what reason would you have to purchase a .223/5.56 AR to take afield when the 7.62 x 39, 6.5, 7.62 x 51 Civilian 16 inch Semi-automatic AR's which can cost less to feed (7.62 x 39) nearly equal to feed (7.62 x 51) and all 3 outperform the .223/5.56 afield?

So perhaps thinking about what a civilian with a semi-automatic 16 inch barreled AR in caliber's other than .223/5.56 can accomplish should temper your agenda. JMHO.

So now that I've spit it out, perhaps we can get on with the more sensible answers?

But just sticking a 6.5 out the head portal and expending a round has yet to have prepared packages of venison delivered to my door and stowed in my freezer. What am I doing wrong???????????????

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is your OP Q/Issue:
    So since a properly placed 30-30 performs better harvesting game animals at 150 yards, than the 5.56 can hope to perform! Just what does a Semi-Automatic 5.56 offer that a civilian can realistically accomplish??????[/URL]
    From the beginning I pointed out the cartridges were designed for totally different purposes. A lot of 5.56 semi-auto realistic uses were listed. NOW, you want to add THREE more calibers against the 5.56 for comparison. YOU want to be in charge of AR barrel length for home defense too. Your arguments are worse than eating a soup sandwich. When you are loosing the debate: YOU change the boundaries.

What insightful information was revealed? Started as a worthless topic and will end as a worthless topic.

Crabbyguy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    This is your OP Q/Issue:

From the beginning I pointed out the cartridges were designed for totally different purposes. A lot of 5.56 semi-auto realistic uses were listed. NOW, you want to add THREE more calibers against the 5.56 for comparison. YOU want to be in charge of AR barrel length for home defense too. Your arguments are worse than eating a soup sandwich. When you are loosing the debate: YOU change the boundaries.

What insightful information was revealed? Started as a worthless topic and will end as a worthless topic.
    Preach! You can’t talk sense into a thread like this especially if you’ve read other threads by the OP. I just stop feeding trolls

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So it seems to be time for the bottom line:

Due to extra mild recoil of the AR .223/5.56 I expect it to perform well when coupled with an NVG to reduce scope eye. When hog hunting after dark the combo works well out to 75 yards. After 75 yards performance drops.

Once the day scope is in use there are many more authoritative calibers that increase the range and performance in the hunting field. So the AR .223/5.56 is a premium target rifle out to 600 yards in the daylight.

As to Home Defense I'll leave that up to Y'all, but I once again believe that there are better choices.

So I'll leave Y'all to have the last words. Thanks for the input.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The AR in 556/223 is the best coyote rifle ever invented.

Top Bottom