• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    30-50 cents per round gets reduced by the number of times you can reload that brass. I've got .357 brass with probably 10-12 firings on them at mag pressures and I've got .38 brass that has probably 20 on them before I start seeing split cases. That means that the first loading might be 64-84 cents the following loadings are 34 cents per round, which is a hella lot cheaper than factory ammo. I rarely consider brass cost in the cost of reloading because the cost diminishes with each loading I get out of that brass until it's so negligible that it doesn't really matter.
    I don't have much experience with .44 magnum loading, so I don't know how many times a single brass case can be reloaded, but unless you're using garbage brass or a worn out cylinder that allows for a good bit of brass expansion, I can't imagine a scenario where you wouldn't get less than 8 loads, and that's running hot ammo.
    Within any lot of brass there will be weaker cases, and the higher the pressure the quicker some fail. But per round costs should reduce until you once again need to replace the brass. Another way to look at it, if you purchase a thousand rounds of factory loaded ammo that is reloadable, you have an immediate supply on hand plus 1000 pieces of brass for the future, and time to collect components while stocked with usable cartridges. Some Brass has more desirable features (IE Military Rifle Brass has a thicker webbing) and may only be purchased in quantity in Factory Loaded Form.

Just like powder cost, if IMR4227 is used in place of Unique not only is the cost per pound greater but since it'll take a 24 grain charge to drive a 240 grain JHP to 1200 fps (instead of 11 grains of Unique) your powder costs more than double. There are only 7000 grains in a pound of powder, so 11 grains of Unique will throw 636 charges but 24 grains of 4227 will only throw 291 charges.

Yet, projectile costs are probably the greatest variable. Back when wheel weights where made of lead it was possible to cast a Number of Bullets to the penny, instead of the current rates of $ per hundred. One of the advantages to Copper Jacketed Projectiles is reduced Lead Fowling and subsequent less time, effort, and cost for firearm cleaning.

But everything comes at a price! As Daezee said, reloading allows you to tailor your loads to attain maximum accuracy and consistency for individual firearms. No two firearms (even from the same Model & Maker) will achieve maximum accuracy with the same load. So reloading allows for complete customization, yet it might also give one trouble in a court of Law (Self Defense.) dependent on the jurisdiction.

If I could find a .44 Mag 240 JHP @ 1200 fps load in reloadable brass at/or less than $1.10 per round it would make me happier than the CCI Blazer Not reloadable aluminum cased, but as of yet I haven't found such a critter. Everything's a trade off. JMHO.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Have you looked on Ammoseek.com for 44 mag? I've found a bunch on there for less than $1/rd of fmj and even jhp ammo. Defenderammunition has 4227 in 8lb jugs for $275+hazmat and are a reputable company. They're out of primers of all shapes and sizes though.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you looked on Ammoseek.com for 44 mag? I've found a bunch on there for less than $1/rd of fmj and even jhp ammo. Defenderammunition has 4227 in 8lb jugs for $275+hazmat and are a reputable company. They're out of primers of all shapes and sizes though.
    Looking at the magtech 240 jacketed hollow point at 1180 FPS. They don't have a thousand rounds though.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Cheycast makes decent coated bullets if your not wanting plain cast. Used em for 30 carbine, 9mm and have to load up some of the other cals I'd loaded.

2400 is a good powder for 44 mag.

gnappi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Over the years, I've dropped calibers from my load bench like .44 special / Magnum, 9mm, 30-30, .222. These were dropped in favor of calibers which had nearly duplicate or superior traits like the .45 Colt, .38 super, .308, and .223 and I'm not sorry I did. My load benches are still crowded but manageable.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well... I just reached a new all time low making me think I'm getting close to calling it quits as far as reloading certain loads... I just paid a little over $55 a pound for Re15.

I have an excellent load worked up using that powder with 69gr SMK's but I'm almost out and it's been very hard to find. Back in Sept I had an order in and asked for delayed shipping as I was going out of town... they said no problem... well, they apparently sold my order to someone else, apologized, and said I'd be placed on a BO list. Well, they got a shipment in last week and I did not get any... I wasn't happy. Sent an e-mail and made a call today. They were very apologetic and after a brief hold, was processed for four pounds. Maybe I just cut someone out? Hope not. Bad news is the price was much higher, I almost passed, probably should have.

Hate to say it... but at that price, once it's gone, I'm moving on regardless. When the general prices get there I'll just enjoy what I have.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have it on my shelf here at the house...sorry I can't ship it. Don't you have someone that runs back and forth to ATL?

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I may have it confused with another forum...LRH maybe. I really only use it in my .308 but know some 68,69 and 77 loads work well with it. I have shot some 77s using it and it works really well. I also understand 8208XBR works pretty well at those weights. It might be worth the time to work it up if it is a little easier to get to have 2 choices. My roundtuit is pretty big it seems.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I may have it confused with another forum...LRH maybe. I really only use it in my .308 but know some 68,69 and 77 loads work well with it. I have shot some 77s using it and it works really well. I also understand 8208XBR works pretty well at those weights. It might be worth the time to work it up if it is a little easier to get to have 2 choices. My roundtuit is pretty big it seems.

I do have ten pounds of 8208XBR...

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve just started working up new loads for the powder I have. I needed some trailboss and unless you find some that an individual is willing to sell it’s impossible to find . I’ve now work up a subsonic load for the 350 legend with powder that I have a large supply of . I’m likely ok for the for the duration, at this point in time. But I’ll not be trying any new calibers until things get back to normal, if they ever do———

Top Bottom