• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I sent you a chat with a pic and info on it
    My interest in the SOCOM 16 is the ease of removing the scout scope and utilizing the tritium iron sights. The conventional mounting doesn't allow for such easy on/off availability. Thanks for the pics and pm.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, Revolution takes standard mags.
    Don't you think that the Revolution is a bit pricey for a DI AR? What makes it that much better than Rugers SFAR? Perhaps I am biased toward Piston driven .308 Pew-pews? After all Uncle Sam made me drag around an M-14 back in my teenage years.

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What makes it that much better than Rugers SFAR? Perhaps I am biased toward Piston driven .308 Pew-pews? After all Uncle Sam made me drag around an M-14 back in my teenage years.
    Ambi controls on the lower are super nice, ambi charging handle. Good trigger. Nickel Coating on the bolt carrier. More adjustment on the gas block. 416 steel barrel(ruger is 4140), Is that double the price nice... ehhh...

Bench pew( big scope) or move around pew(irons, red dot)?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ambi controls on the lower are super nice, ambi charging handle. Good trigger. Nickel Coating on the bolt carrier. More adjustment on the gas block. 416 steel barrel(ruger is 4140), Is that double the price nice... ehhh...

Bench pew( big scope) or move around pew(irons, red dot)?
    Since it goes Pew-pew, how about outside the 300 yard Rambo Kill Zone SHTF 24/7/365 anytime- anywhere, and we can add picking up the scraps from other black on black outside the Rambo Zone operations. But it may get much more use harvesting Bambi & Company, along with honing skills on paper, than for it's intended recreational purpose. LOL. Once you start drawing social security the odds of drawing a paycheck for Out of CONUS Operations decrease exponentially. YMMV. Yet nobody has asked what distance may be required to swim, prior to how long you need to run around, before you settle down to make an extreme long range shot. Now just what expectations are to be taken seriously by the AARP Crowd? Better yet, what check box may you underestimate during your pre operational checklist that those used to be AARP Warriors may still be capable of one time when properly equipped with a .308 Pew-pew. But at this stage in life it's just RECREATIONAL! LOL.

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since it goes Pew-pew, how about outside the 300 yard Rambo Kill Zone SHTF 24/7/365 anytime- anywhere, and we can add picking up the scraps from other black on black outside the Rambo Zone operations. But it may get much more use harvesting Bambi & Company, along with honing skills on paper, than for it's intended recreational purpose. LOL. Once you start drawing social security the odds of drawing a paycheck for Out of CONUS Operations decrease exponentially. YMMV. Yet nobody has asked what distance may be required to swim, prior to how long you need to run around, before you settle down to make an extreme long range shot. Now just what expectations are to be taken seriously by the AARP Crowd? Better yet, what check box may you underestimate during your pre operational checklist that those used to be AARP Warriors may still be capable of one time when properly equipped with a .308 Pew-pew. But at this stage in life it's just RECREATIONAL! LOL.
    I really like the 716I from sig for a 24/7/365 SHTF off the shelf. The one I have has a few thousand rounds through it and has been 100% reliable. the reliability of it is what really got my attention. Shoots around MoA and was designed to be a battle rifle to dirt nap commies in the mountains in Asia. 16" thin barrel so not a boat anchor. Last time I shot it, I was tagging a 36tall x22 wide steel repeatedly at 1030. Took 3 shots at the 10" at 1060 steel and connected on the 3rd shot, that load goes sub sonic around 925...

IMO dollar to performance... she's a contender. Just swap the trigger, the factory trigger is creep city. A CMC 3.5lbs solved that.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Less than MOA at 1k+ with a subsonic round? That's just dumb luck. 1K Sub MOA with M118LR 98 percent of the time, that's a Military Qualification. 100 percent reliability, that is saying something. 600 yard scores are more relevant with 16-18 inch carbine barrels. 10 shot 600 yard groups quickly explain why precision firearms use thicker/heavier barrels. But since the "Buff Boys" favor the HK, it has earned enough merit to investigate. JMHO. Yet UGLY SCAR has superceded the HK afield in .308 Win. WHY?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd like to see someone hold MOA to 1K with an off the shelf 16" barrel .308 AR. $100, says ya can't.

and 925 yards not the muzzle velocity.
    Not sure that the Remington XM3 is considered off the rack anywhere other than the Military? USMC, had both the rifle and the qualifications with the rifle. But that was back in the days of wooden ships & iron men.

Last edited:

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure that the Remington XM3 is considered off the rack anywhere other than the Military? USMC, had both the rifle and the qualifications with the rifle. But that was back in the days of wooden ships & iron men.
    Thats not an Auto Loading Rifle.

$100 and I'll buy you lunch.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats not an Auto Loading Rifle.

$100 and I'll buy you lunch.
    Since I've already started that 1K with a 16 inch thin barrel AR would be nothing more than dumb luck, that's one challenge that I wouldn't put money on. Now a ploughman's lunch that's more appropriate for dumb luck shots. Since I no longer have any of the M1A's/M-14NM's that had been used during 1K Expert Qualifications, we would need to be so equipped for a trip to Fort Stewart's Red cloud Range on a MWR weekend. Otherwise I only have Bolt Actions at my disposal currently. But the Pew-pew.308 I now speak doesn't need to make 1K Expert Qualifications. Most likely target range is probably 600 yards and it won't be used on game animals over 300 yards. Doubt I'd even bother to Register it for use at the 750 or 1K yard KD line at Fort Stewart since I have plenty of bolt actions already available. Currently more interested in carbine length Pew-pews than 22 inch air gauged lengths. So the SOCOM 16 or 18 inch Scout models of M1A's are of greater interest. But Stainless Steel 5R barrels are of more interest than 6R carbon steel. Guess everything has trade offs. Not to thrilled with DI AR's, put they are easier to maintain afield than M-14 variants, just not as accurate.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So my current school of thought. I've been an M-14 kind of guy since the 60's. But the downfall of M-14 variants has always been field cleaning. Every time you lift the action from the stock you risk a zero shift, and over time it distracts from the firearms mechanical accuracy. Now cleaning with a pull through OTIS system is an option, but it is a PITA if you ask me. JMHO YMMV. But the SOCOM 16 with tritium irons and a scout rail has a certain appeal since I've already got the Burris Scout scope with QD Warne rings from the failed Ruger Scout Rifle experiment. But a Pew-pew Scout Rifle? But it's going to be much heavier, and I ain't getting any younger! Yet I've already gone the FN SCAR route, and it's no longer in the small arms locker. To that end, I no longer have any of the multitude of M1A SM's or NM's in the locker. Not to mention that the DI DMPS REPR .308 also proved to be more useful on Targets than hunting afield. So maybe the SOCOM 16 is the next candidate? Or maybe the DI RUGER SFAR with it's 16ish 5R barrel? https://www.ruger.com/products/sfar/specSheets/5610.html. What do Y'all think?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've run into an operational question that requires assistance. Having never shot a 16 inch M-14/M1A, does the muzzle flash effect night vision to the point that the tritium sights are of no use after the first round is fired? Since the tritium sights are the major point of differentiation between the SOCOM 16 and Scout Squad, if they are operationally ineffective after the first round their value is minimized. Thanks for sharing your experience in advance. Do Y'all feel that the SEI Vortex would make enough of a difference? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004721872

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have I finally asked the question that stumped the panel? Like back during the days of the Game Show "To tell the truth"! I feel confident that we have folks that have operated a SOCOM 16 after dark. I ask that they share their knowledge. Perhaps those that have operated the SOCOM 16 after dark have not used it under primitive conditions?

Top Bottom