• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just what Pew-Pew.308 Win do I need? Believe me when I state I have the skill, but what Pew-Pew do I need? Awaiting your response?

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What would be the intended purpose of this 308

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree that the Browning BAR and the Winchester 100 are great picks. The only flaw is the Gas piston will corrode if not taken care of. I love buying these old guns You never know what combination of gun and stock you'll run across , check out the Model 100 with the thumb hole stock. Also for fast handling brush guns don't rule out the Winchester model 88 or Browning 81.
    20230407_132745.jpg

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For bean fields and long shots on the power line I would have to go with a good bolt gun. View attachment 218500
    I think I have all the bolt actions I need at this time. Yet I find myself without a single semiauto.308 Win/7.62 x 51. That SOCOM 16 is real tempting, I've already got a Burris scout scope with warne QR rings. But AR style Carbines are much easier to maintain. YMMV. Carbine length barrels are a bit hard to find on a BAR. Been a few years since I've handled a Browning. Remington used to make a semiauto hunting rifle in .308, forget what the model number was?

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Pretty subjective question. And depends a lot on weather you're one of the poors, like me, or if the sky is the limit! I'm fine with my Howa 1500s in 308. I have a NEF single shot bastard that get beat on. I've owned just about every milsurp 7.62x51, both bolt action and in semi-auto; HK G3 as well as the SL7 & 770, FAL, M1A, M1, FN-49, MAS 49/56, CETME, Saiga... The SL7 was my favorite, the most accurate was a FAL paratrooper, I really liked the FR8 as well. I only got into ARs in the last few years, I have 2 in 308 with an extra 6.5 upper, I don't have enough trigger time on any AR to form an educated opinion.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pretty subjective question. And depends a lot on weather you're one of the poors, like me, or if the sky is the limit! I'm fine with my Howa 1500s in 308. I have a NEF single shot bastard that get beat on. I've owned just about every milsurp 7.62x51, both bolt action and in semi-auto; HK G3 as well as the SL7 & 770, FAL, M1A, M1, FN-49, MAS 49/56, CETME, Saiga... The SL7 was my favorite, the most accurate was a FAL paratrooper, I really liked the FR8 as well. I only got into ARs in the last few years, I have 2 in 308 with an extra 6.5 upper, I don't have enough trigger time on any AR to form an educated opinion.
    Got some time on a Knight's Armament, but it couldn't compete with an M1A SM on the 1K Range. Yet at 750 yards the playing field was even. Spent time behind an FN SCAR, but chrome barrels ain't really made for extreme distance precision. Yet 3K$ isn't exactly recreational, and I have all the extended long range firearms I'll live long enough to use. Nowadays it's more about carry weight. A 16-18 inch lightweight carbine in .308 Win will probably accompany afield long before a 13 lb precision rifle. I've succumbed to Good Times and Gravity, but I do have the ability to do ONCE, what I once did. Yet shots beyond 300 yards are taken on paper nowadays. Hopefully the need to make such shots to defend those with the Flag and a ISAR patch on their shoulder, or more critically those in my bloodline never need to be considered on sovereign soil? So Pew-pews are just for fun. Since I've got enough 7.62 NATO rounds to last my lifetime, the lack of a Pew-pew gnaws at my conscious mind. YMMV.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The SCAR, IMO, is just ugly. My 2 AR10s are 16 & 10.5 inch, the 6.5 upper is also 16", only because I got such a great deal on the barrel, and built around it, everything is Diamondback! So total in that upper is >$350 + another $300 on a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50. TBH this will be the first time I've ventured away from NATO standard semi-auto rifle ammo. Back in my self-employed, non-poors, days I had 10,000 rounds of surplus 308 stacked up 1/2 ADI, then cases of everything considered premium surplus; DAG, Hirtenberger, SA...
    My grandkids will still be shooting 308 long after I'm gone.
    M1As, I do miss those, 1 was all GI Winchester parts on an Armscorp NM receiver, a sweet rifle. Other was SA scout-squad. I've looked hard at the 16" SOCOM 2. Being you already have the scope, I think you already made your decision??

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a springfield armory m1a loaded with a scope mount if interested
    CASM or Brookfield? Is the rifle butt modified with a comb riser? Adjustable saddle or neoprene wrap? The advantage of a scout scope is the lower height when compared to conventional mounting.

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do not know what budget we're disgusting here, But another fine option is the Sako Finnwolf, It is an improved version of the Winchester model 88. They actually use the same scope mount. It has a Spring assist lever, If you push the lever with your finger it will actually pop open as pictured. It is very accurate, It's actual only flaw is it's price. If you could pick one up for under $1500 it would be a good investment.
    20230408_100851.jpg

Scorpio7821

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    CASM or Brookfield? Is the rifle butt modified with a comb riser? Adjustable saddle or neoprene wrap? The advantage of a scout scope is the lower height when compared to conventional mounting.
    I sent you a chat with a pic and info on it

Top Bottom