• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Browning Citori that has Duracoat mossy oak duckblind camo from the factory. The problem is that I took it out of the safe the other day and the finish on the wood parts (not barrel or receiver) are very sticky. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have looked online but the forums discuss sending it back to Browning but rather not go through the hassel if at all possible. The gun is in as new condition only been to the dove field one time but did not shoot it so whatever is going on is happening in the safe.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Not on a firearm but I've experienced it with wood and on plastic before.

Usually when it's hot and damp. Which I hope your safe is not.

Did it possibly get wet in the field, or the piece next to it? If you haven't already, is drop some celica(Cilica?) in there just to be safe.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Not on a firearm but I've experienced it with wood and on plastic before.

Usually when it's hot and damp. Which I hope your safe is not.

Did it possibly get wet in the field, or the piece next to it? If you haven't already, is drop some celica(Cilica?) in there just to be safe.

some safes are heated, could there be a heat source? lightbulb? would that cause that effect?

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do keep a golden rod dehumidifier in the safe which this time of year makes it warm inside. I have the gun out of the safe and in the ac so hoping this will help. The gun has never been wet or in any bad conditions. Hopefully being out in the ac will help.

Direwolf

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tons of guns with the duratouch finish are getting sticky. Browning will warranty it but you have to send then the gun and who knows how long the turn around time will be. A friend of mine had a new a5 with this problem and he opted to remove it himself using alcohol and white scotchbrite (extra fine). Worked like a charm. He used a toothbrush to get in the checkering. Looks like a brand new synthetic stock afterwards.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This was quite a while back and I have taken care of my problems by taking my gun back to Scott’s,they sent it back and it was fixed it took about 6 months to get it back but no charge. My Son had the same issue with his (I bought both at the same time) but didn’t realize it till later so I took it back to Scott’s , his took a year to get back and when I went to pick it up I was told that it would cost $65.00 for handling. I questioned this and was told that they had always charged this, I told them differently and was told it is what it is. That was shitty in my way of thinking.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    A friend of mine had a recent manufacture Browning Gold or maybe Silver and the camo turned sticky. He stripped it all off.
    I had some Leopold binoculars with a rubbery camo coating that became sticky.
    Leupold sent me a new pair.

BDrinkard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a a bolt . Sent it back to browning they had it back to me in about two months . Customer service was very easy to deal with.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    I do keep a golden rod dehumidifier in the safe which this time of year makes it warm inside. I have the gun out of the safe and in the ac so hoping this will help. The gun has never been wet or in any bad conditions. Hopefully being out in the ac will help.
    I also use a Golden Rod in my safe. And it does make the safe really hot this time of the year. I was going to suggest exactly what you are doing. It might take a week or two to stabilize the finish. I think the finish might be okay just not suited to really hot environments.

Top Bottom