• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The only time I was hit by a fragment was at an indoor 50 ft range in Hammond IN. It was from a 9mm pistol that someone else was shooting.
    I remember someone at another range firing a 6 inch barreled 44 spl with target sights with some lead factory ammo at a pepper popper. The intact bullet bounced straight back in an arc about 70 ft in the air, hit the tin roof of a near by shooting position, rolled off the roof and was still intact. The fellow that picked it up claimed the bullet was still hot.

Years ago I was shooting along a power line easement. I shot at a can about ten feet in front of a telephone pole. Next thing I knew it felt like a wasp stung my in the inner leg just below my crotch... I looked down and saw the .44 Mag bullet I just fired.

It apparently entered the dirt at/near the can and ran horizontally through the dirt and struck the buried portion of the telephone pole and ricocheted back at me.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frommerstop, is that range on Kennedy Ave?
    The range in Hammond, IN, that was about 1996 and I just cannot remember street except was if I was going east the range was just a few blocks from a high bridge. It was underneath a gunshop. There had been a range years earlier in Oakpark that was closed that I used in the 60's and others in the 70's NW, Bells on Mannheim road and also one out in Lyons, Il.
    Hammond is full of rail crossings and bridges or at least it was then. I was working on a clean up of the former Joliet Army Ammunition plant and staying with my parents on weekends in Chicago and would drive down to hammond since it was not too far from the chicago south side. I also would fill my diesel car with the cheaper fuel on the Indiana side of the state border.

jam0066

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have been shooting polymer coated lead (acme and blue Bullets) from my 9mm and 45 for a couple of years with no issues at 15 yards.

Jacketed? Absolutely get splashback periodically

Plated is an absolute disaster. I had some hard plated speers in 9mm that didn’t deform at about a 130 power factor and the whole bullet would deflect at random angles. Do not recommend for steel

Top Bottom