• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uilleam

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I'm looking to possibly sell this rifle. I'm just trying to get an idea of what this rifle would be worth. I've seen some crazy numbers on Gun Broker. The serial number shows it was made in 1902. I'll post some pictures soon.

Are these desirable collectors items?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I'm looking to possibly sell this rifle. I'm just trying to get an idea of what this rifle would be worth. I've seen some crazy numbers on Gun Broker. The serial number shows it was made in 1902. I'll post some pictures soon.

Are these desirable collectors items?
    Yes they are most desirable IF in correct as-issued configuration (I.e., not cut down rifles, not cut down or sanded stocks, not refinished, original USGI sights, not rusty, and not drilled for commercial sights) and have a nice bore for shooting purposes. As a model 1898 Krag rifle owner, this is my opinion. I have a reference book on the Krag so would be happy to view your photos, but I am not an expert on Krag's.

Note: Based upon the manufacture date of 1902 and that you say it's a carbine, I suspect it's a civilian cut down model 1898 rifle made to look like a carbine, as the model 1899 carbine came into being after 1898 and superseded the 1898 model carbine manufacture, so a model 1898 carbine made in 1902 should be incorrect. Double check the receiver date to make sure it doesn't say "1899".

It took me a while to find my rifle with its nice bore (I shoot cast bullets in mine) with much original finish and was happy to pay $1000 for it compared (as you've seen on Gun Broker) to what some people value them at. I got mine on Gun Broker and was surprised I was the only bidder.

Last edited:

Uilleam

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yes they are most desirable IF in correct as-issued configuration (I.e., not cut down rifles, not cut down or sanded stocks, not refinished, original USGI sights, not rusty, and not drilled for commercial sights) and have a nice bore for shooting purposes. As a model 1898 Krag rifle owner, this is my opinion. I have a reference book on the Krag so would be happy to view your photos, but I am not an expert on Krag's.

It took me a while to find my rifle with its nice bore (I shoot cast bullets in mine) with much original finish and was happy to pay $1000 for it compared (as you've seen on Gun Broker) to what some people value them at. I got mine on Gun Broker and was surprised I was the only bidder.
    From pictures I've seen on the internet it seems to be all original except maybe the stock. I couldn't find any markings on the stock. The barrel I'd say is fair to good. It's a cool rifle that I was hoping had seen use in the war.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Please reread my post...it was updated with some date vs model conflict info At the same time you were replying. Thank you.

Uilleam

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Please reread my post...it was updated with some date vs model conflict info At the same time you were replying. Thank you.
    Here are some pictures I took this morning so I could do some research at work.

Attachments

• IMG_2395.JPG
      IMG_2395.JPG
      219.8 KB · Views: 24
    • IMG_2396.JPG
      IMG_2396.JPG
      494 KB · Views: 26

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Per page 231 of The American Krag Rifle And Carbine, Model 1898 carbines are in the serial number range of 113,600 through 139,000. Model 1899 carbines are 362,433 through 368,602 and 420,710 through 420,810 (the closest carbine ranges to your serial number). Your serial number is in the Model 1898 rifle range. Just reporting what the book says.

It would appear someone cut down a Model 1898 rifle to look like a carbine. Apparently that was common back in the day to make a handier firearm. Could it be a DCM sale carbine made from a Model 1898 rifle? Documented DCM carbines are rare. Bannerman and other makers of cut down rifles are much more common. None of this doesn’t mean it’s not a handy rifle for shooting and enjoying.

Is there a cartouche on the left side of the stock? If yes is it in script letters? Is the front sight dovetailed and braised onto the barrel or is the front sight base larger in diameter than the barrel (in other words a Model 1903 Springfield sight altered to fit a Krag barrel)?

Uilleam

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Here are the pics!

Attachments

• IMG_2401.JPG
      IMG_2401.JPG
      300.9 KB · Views: 41
    • IMG_2402.JPG
      IMG_2402.JPG
      350.2 KB · Views: 46
    • IMG_2403.JPG
      IMG_2403.JPG
      455.4 KB · Views: 42
    • IMG_2406.JPG
      IMG_2406.JPG
      234.8 KB · Views: 43
    • IMG_2407.JPG
      IMG_2407.JPG
      270.5 KB · Views: 40
    • IMG_2408.JPG
      IMG_2408.JPG
      248.7 KB · Views: 45
    • IMG_2409.JPG
      IMG_2409.JPG
      261.8 KB · Views: 38
    • IMG_2410.JPG
      IMG_2410.JPG
      323.5 KB · Views: 43
    • IMG_2411.JPG
      IMG_2411.JPG
      184.8 KB · Views: 38
    • IMG_2412.JPG
      IMG_2412.JPG
      212.4 KB · Views: 43

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Based upon my research, and I’m not a Krag expert, yours is not a desirable DCM carbine sold by the government. It fails having the wrong front sight and stock. Previously mentioned, the serial number is that of a rifle. It would therefore appear to be a rifle cut down by a non government entity to look like a carbine. It’s value is that of a shooter in my opinion. I also do not see a real carbine rear sight, but a rifle sight. Again, my opinion.

Uilleam

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Based upon my research, and I’m not a Krag expert, yours is not a desirable DCM carbine sold by the government. It fails having the wrong front sight and stock. Previously mentioned, the serial number is that of a rifle. It would therefore appear to be a rifle cut down by a non government entity to look like a carbine. It’s value is that of a shooter in my opinion. I also do not see a real carbine rear sight, but a rifle sight. Again, my opinion.
    Thanks! Now I need to figure out how much it's worth =)

Top Bottom