• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been out of the reloading business for about 20 yrs; looking to restart. What's the shelf life of open containers of smokeless powder? Primers? Also need some bullets. Got a good source for .357 plinking projectiles?

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    When you say "open containers" do you mean they were opened , then sealed with the cap ? OR do you mean you opened them, then left them opened and the powder exposed to air ?
    were the powders & primers stored inside and in temperature controlled , or left in a container in your shed / shop where they were exposed to the "elements" ?
    It might help if you listed specifically what Cal. and Wt. of bullets you were looking for

ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Powder containers have caps installed. Stored in a garage workshop, ambient humidity, temp ranged from 40 to 90. Looking for garden variety 158 gr RN plated or jacketed.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Powder containers have caps installed. Stored in a garage workshop, ambient humidity, temp ranged from 40 to 90. Looking for garden variety 158 gr RN plated or jacketed.

I like Bayou Bullets for poly-coated lead.

I would load a handfull of rounds with your powder and see what happens, chances are it will be fine.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    if it has a red powder looking stuff in it I wouldn't use it

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Ball, flake or small grain pistol powders probably good for 40 years or more. Ball rifle powders probably good for 40-50 years or more. Stick powders ought to got at least 30 years, but don't last as long as ball powders. Primers: at least 40 years.

Open cans and sniff. If an ether smell, still good. If an acidic, obnoxious smell, probably bad. If yellow or red "smoke" comes off, bad. If powder looks rusty, I'd say bad.

The above answers are based upon my experience and readings over the years.

Too bad you weren't able to take advantage of the estate sale components I recently listed and sold pretty quick. Had 38/357 plated pretty cheap. 38 and 357 reloaders bought all the 38/357 bullets and 357 brass. Powder went quick too. No components are left for sale.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Primers are going to be the hardest thing to find. You have to set alerts online and keep watching on the forum for anyone posting them for sale. As for powder I was in Uber's yesterday and they had a pretty decent assortment. Ranger firearms in Ft. Walton has even more and a good assortment of cast lead and jacketed bullets. Both shops get primers in fairly frequently but you have to call or check every day because they go fast. As far as ordering cast bullets I shoot bullets from cimarron bullets, S&S casting, acme, Bang and clang, and summit city. Cast bullets aren't hard to find right now. Brass is hit or miss at Starline but keep checking and if they list it as "backorder" you can place an order for it and usually they ship in a week. I just got some 38 special +P because it is the same as 38 special, just marked +P on the headstamp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom