• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've been shooting some of my AR15's for a challenge thread on Predator Masters Forum.

I wanted to share the results I got yesterday with one of my AR15's, I built it about twenty years ago and it has a Wilson (IIRC) 24" bull barrel. Hand loads with 52gr SMK's. Shot at 100 yards with front and rear bag.

I have ALWAYS shot excellent groups with this rifle using the 52gr SMK, it likes Nosler BT's as well. I was quite pleased with these two 10-shot groups but wasn't really surprised with the results.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Awesome movie, I rewatched it last weekend.

The firearms guy for the movie was on-$%^&ing point.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Look at that every shot in the same hole. I use this method lol

"You got one of them for me?"

"No sir... you just volunteered to be my A-gunner. Here's you a whole duffel bag full of 20 round mags that won't last but like 5 seconds each. Keep them loaded and keep up with me... or else."

Fng1911

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Absolutely great shooting! I keep telling my wife I need to buy a more expensive AR if I want these type of results. After showering and telling her, she said I’m just coming up with excuses why I can’t-out shoot her and I need to get better LoL

Excellent marksmanship

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So from here do you adjust your scope to bullseye or leave it as is? Great shooting!

I made no adjustments, I was just shooting for a group. I've not shot that rifle in a while and actually forgot what load it had been zeroed for last. In fact, I'm not too sure I actually zeroed it per se after replacing the previous scope with the Leupold that's on the rifle now, I think I just did a dirty zero and left it at that.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In a hunting situation, that’s a one and done rifle .Nice shooting , I’d be more than happy with those groups.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How well does it shoot offhand? Seems to do just fine from the bench. Good Shooting Sir. I find that Hornady 55 grain flat based spire points can make some real tiny groups also. Well done Sir. Was group A the cold bore? I ask because of the two rounds that drifted left towards target center. Or shooter induced?

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How well does it shoot offhand? Seems to do just fine from the bench. Good Shooting Sir. I find that Hornady 55 grain flat based spire points can make some real tiny groups also. Well done Sir. Was group A the cold bore? I ask because of the two rounds that drifted left towards target center. Or shooter induced?

I'm pretty sure the groups would double in size if I tried off-hand.

As for the two shots you asked about, I intentionally aimed slightly left for those two shots as the main hole was big and I thought I was missing the target.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm pretty sure the groups would double in size if I tried off-hand.

As for the two shots you asked about, I intentionally aimed slightly left for those two shots as the main hole was big and I thought I was missing the target.
    Purposely shooter induced then. Did purposely opening the group size effect the results of the challenge?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Purposely shooter induced then. Did purposely opening the group size effect the results of the challenge?

No... people stopped posting, I suppose others were demoralized? That was not my intention. I posted other groups from other rifles that were not as small but it didn't stimulate further participation.

I thought the thread was more about good-shooting AR's but the thread lost traction and died.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No... people stopped posting, I suppose others were demoralized? That was not my intention. I posted other groups from other rifles that were not as small but it didn't stimulate further participation.

I thought the thread was more about good-shooting AR's but the thread lost traction and died.
    Think it was the two ten shot groups? Most folks don't shoot ten shot groups, more or less two of them. I've gotten many responses to the 10 shot 8 inch paper plate standing unsupported for practice prior to hunting season. But in retrospect there are not that many folks that kept 10 out of 10 on an 8 inch paper plate at 100 yards. Usually it came down to how many out of ten can you keep on the 8 inch paper plate. Even less posted photos of a 10 for 10 at 200 yards. But perhaps the challenge of shooting unsupported standing inspires more curiosity then how small a group size your AR can shoot? Tiny groups mean serious time developing loads at the reloading bench. Popping ten rounds of your common hunting loads into an 8 inch paper plate while standing doesn't demand much extra time, effort, or money? YMMV. If folks accepted the original challenge, then there should have been a few that strived to meet or exceed your groups. There are some really competitive folk out there. JMHO. YMMV? I realize that I'm just an Old Curmudgeon, but I've shot 5 five round groups at 100 yards with my AR often enough you would have raised my curiosity. FWIW. Perhaps it might have got more traction if you standardized the ammo to be used, like LC .223 XM193 or Fed 5.56 M193? But that might have compromised the intent of precision AR's. But it would have allowed many more folks that don't handload to participate? About that Hornady 55 flat based spire point load? If you got any IMR 4198 laying around, 21.4-5 grains in LC brass with REM 7 1/2 BR wasn't the fastest. But it did make some tiny groups in my AR. YMMV.

Attachments

• pic for site.jpg
      pic for site.jpg
      5.8 KB · Views: 30
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom