• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mullet Hunter

Master
    Looking to get a 22 hornet, I really don’t know much about the caliber, however everyone I’ve ran across in the past that had one, loved it. You guys help me out with what I might need to know before I make a purchase. Best brands, old and new, most accurate, performance, issues, ETC. any advise would be much appreciate. Would mainly target shoot with it , maybe the occasional Crow, or tote across the back pasture. y’all steer me in the right direction. I really wish they made a decent bolt gun in 5.7x28… unfortunately they don’t…

Raven

Master
    I really wish they made a decent bolt gun in 5.7x28
    Plenty of high quality short action bolt guns out there in that other tactical .22 caliber: 223/5.56. And 223 is a longer range cartridge for half the cost of 5.7. Of course, you could always have a custom high quality bolt gun barrel chambered for you in any caliber you want, including FN 5.7, and that's what I would do. On a mini Mauser action from Ruger or Zastava. I'd definitely want a stainless steel barrel and definitely want that Mauser bolt for controlled round feed

lil'skeet

Master
    I'm not much for Taurus, but have always wanted a Raging Hornet revolver.they have gone 5x in price if you can find one. Ammo cost is insane to go along with it.

ccc

Master
    Ahhhhhh the one that got away. I had a break action, single shot, bull barrel NEF (New England Firearms) with a 3X9 that was a TACK DRIVER. Being a center fire cartridge you can legally take big game with it, not that you would want to, it’s not what the cartridge was made for, but you can. The bullet is screaming out the barrel incredibly fast, so fast if it hits a twig down range, it will detonate and not reach its target. I have always had a love for the little hornet, and would buy another given the chance.

capt.joe

Master
    Has anyone here used the 22 k hornet or 218 mashburn bee? Ive always liked the idea of those wildcats for my tc contender. There is even one based on a 327 federal magnum case.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    I think the appeal is low recoil and varmint hunters like the hornet to save pelts. However you are giving up a lot with a 5 degree shoulder. If you are wanting to push 40-50 grainers at 3000fps the 221 fireball is the best option. The selling point for me is Lapua makes fireball brass

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Plenty of old timers have used the ‘ol Hornet for decades to harvest truck loads of deer. It’s also a favorite of poachers.
    I like the Sierra 45 gr bullet in mine (may be discontinued now).

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Savage made a 5.7 bolt gun. You can maybe dig one of those up. People sell the occasional custom 5.7 rifles here n there. I think you'd do well going the 5.7 route. Those 22 slender cases don't do well in semi auto. They're too long and skinny. They do well in bolt guns etc. Just later If you decide to go semi auto you'll have to change up calibers yet again. 5.7 was made to run either way. Unless you're just sold already on a bolt gun only I would suggest the new Ruger 57 carbine. 57 ammo will drop in price again soon. More makers are coming up with thier versions. Lastly it's a caliber that people are actually making subsonics etc for. Loadings from 27-50 something last I checked. It's just a matter of time till some more makers start dropping 5.7 bolt models too I'd say because of the recent 5.7 craze.

Midnight son

Expert
    There is a certain nostalgia about the Hornet. Ross Seyfried wrote a lot about the little cartridge. Many years ago I saw a pretty stocked rifle with an interesting looking receiver sight mounted in the used gun rack. It was a Savage 23d, the Hornet version of the 23 series. I think it may even be the deluxe version as the wood is very good and has checkering fore and aft. It prefers 40gr. .224 Sierras over Lil' Gun and a small pistol primer ala Seyfried. It also shot factory Hornady 35gr very well. I neck size only with a Redding neck sizing die.

If you want one get one. Doesn't CZ still produce? It is a lot of fun and in my opinion there just is no substitute.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Logically , and since you reload you will be far better off going with a 223 bolt gun , and here is way.
    1. Weapons; only 2 that I know of are available, both are single shot break
    opens.I don't know anything about NEI's but have here both good and bad.
    I've shot a 10" T/C 22 Hornet in pistol silhouettes more years that I care to
    remember. The cost of a rifle set up on a T/C frame would be about equal
    to a custom barreled bolt gun.
    2. Brass ; search and see what is available for 22H, 221 FB, and 223.
    3. Range ; you say "across the pasture" ? a 22LR will shoot a long way, will
    kill at 200 or 300 yds.. The NEI, if you could find one in 22 H is probably
    Twisted for 40-45 gn bullets. Now, you could probably drive a 45 gn bullet
    fast enough to kill at 300 yds. but at the expense of very hard to find brass
    and hope the tree farts {wind} aren't to bad.
    What are you looking for ? for what purpose ?
    If I were looking for a 300 yd 2 MOA weapon, I'd look for a Savage Axis 1.
    Because of the Axis 2 dealers are pricing the Axis 1 to sell. Either one in
    223.Good brass and 1x LC brass are available. Their barrels are twisted to
    allow the use of 55 gn BTHP bullets.
    Just my $ 0.02

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Yeah 223 is nice. Able to run in both bolts and semis. Always a good choice

FLT

Master
    I love the 22 hornet, it has more energy at two hundred yards than a 22 magnum has at the muzzle. One big factor for me is how quiet it is , most folks will think you are shooting a rim fire 22. I have had numerous hornets as I have collected them for many years. Most younger shooter’s aren’t impressed with them , I think because they aren’t loud enough and Don’t have a lot of recoil. It’s always been my caliber of choice for the same reasons. I’ve always felt that a man that owned a 22 hornet and a 3006 bolt action rifle , was pretty well set for any game animal that he would care to hunt in the United States.

.22 cents

Master
    +1 for .223. Call it a 22 Murder Hornet. You can download them to Hornet speeds if you wanted to.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Fellas I have many .223’s in bolt auto single shot, etc. I’m interested in a much smaller round like the 5.7, or 22 hornet. I really want a good hornet bolt gun, just don’t know which brand is best for me.

Reactions: FLT

ccc

Master
    Fellas I have many .223’s in bolt auto single shot, etc. I’m interested in a much smaller round like the 5.7, or 22 hornet. I really want a good hornet bolt gun, just don’t know which brand is best for me.
    Either the Savage or the CZ would be great options with me leaning a little more to the CZ. But Savage with the accu trigger would be a fine shooting rifle

Top Bottom