DK Firearms

So I bought my first set of body armor, now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Hey guys! Body armor has never been high on my priority list, but I ended up seeing what I thought was a decent bargain on AR500 III+ and picked up a set. Any tips on storing steel armor in humid Florida? Recommendations on care, or maintenance? Thanks!

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Get fragmentation soft panels for front and trauma pads for the backside. Are they coated or raw? For steel theres not a lot to worry about. Take them with when you shoot and train like you fight!

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Yup, got trauma pads for both sides and they are coated! AR500s site had a combo of two coated III+ plates, set of pads, and carrier for $250.
    Gotta find some cool pouches now.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yup, got trauma pads for both sides and they are coated! AR500s site had a combo of two coated III+ plates, set of pads, and carrier for $250.
    ANS in Crestview and Ft Walton have the cheapest pouches around. One stop shopping too at the Ft Walton store

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    When it comes to getting pouches, you first need to decide what your loadout (pistol mags, rifle mags, etc.) is going to be. You also need to consider a IFAK as well. One my setup, I also mounted a hydration pack on the back.
    AR500 Testudo Plate Carrier with Tactical Tailor Hydration pack.JPG
    AR500 Testudo Plate Carrier with Tactical Tailor pouches.JPG

Here is a pic with the IFAK mounted (my right side).

009.JPG

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I ordered one of the heavy duty plastic hangers off Amazon, "Tough Hook" I believe, and then used a heavy rated sheet rock hook to hang. Mine are composite but need to keep dry nonetheless.
    *Edit to add* for a civi' use, keep it simple to start with, accessories add bulk that may not be necessary.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Now what? Don't assume everyone shoot center-of mass.
    Friend I went to school with joined the Sheriff's when I joined the Marines. (He still has a career, after he broke nearly every bone in his body wrecking his cruiser, when I got put to pasture after a simple knee surgery, even though I was still running my 3 mile PFT and completing obstacle courses... tell me who made the smarter choice). He let me know a few years ago that there's so much new and surplus body armor on the market and in the hands of the criminals now, and that the LEO's are encountering armor so much now, that the LEO's are training to shoot below the waist now. On an average man (who isn't morbidly obese) there is just as much body mass below the waist as there is above the waist. Only thing to help with that are these groin flaps to hang off the front and back of a vest. There are soft armor inserts available for these groin flaps that are good for 9mm FMJ... but you'll still feel the impact of course. Another option is if you don't think you'll be sitting down much, get the size "Tall" vest, so it covers more below your belt on a not "Tall" torso. And then practice not getting shot in the first place. Go play paintball. Airsoft. Water guns. Dodge ball even. Anything to get you ducking, dodging and diving!

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Friend I went to school with joined the Sheriff's when I joined the Marines. (He still has a career, after he broke nearly every bone in his body wrecking his cruiser, when I got put to pasture after a simple knee surgery, even though I was still running my 3 mile PFT and completing obstacle courses... tell me who made the smarter choice). He let me know a few years ago that there's so much new and surplus body armor on the market and in the hands of the criminals now, and that the LEO's are encountering armor so much now, that the LEO's are training to shoot below the waist now. On an average man (who isn't morbidly obese) there is just as much body mass below the waist as there is above the waist. Only thing to help with that are these groin flaps to hang off the front and back of a vest. There are soft armor inserts available for these groin flaps that are good for 9mm FMJ... but you'll still feel the impact of course. Another option is if you don't think you'll be sitting down much, get the size "Tall" vest, so it covers more below your belt on a not "Tall" torso. And then practice not getting shot in the first place. Go play paintball. Airsoft. Water guns. Dodge ball even. Anything to get you ducking, dodging and diving!
    Yeah, I wasn't going to go into specifics 'cause that tends to hurt/offend some, but you are spot on in more way that one with aiming lower.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Just wanted to share the setup for now! Decided to go light since I'm not expecting to go to war lol, and as pictured it hangs right at 25 lbs with the mags loaded. I'll have to try taking this out to an airsoft or paintball match to get moving around more!

Attachments

• 20220628_162020.jpg
      20220628_162020.jpg
      862.9 KB · Views: 49

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Likely a final update, but wanted to show where I went with it! I set up the cummerbund with QD clips so I don't have to fuss with velcro each time I use it, and went for bungie AR pouches with top flaps, so I can run clamped MP5 mags and AR mags without having to fool with molle. It's pretty hefty with 6 mags, so I'll need to find some shoulder pads lol.

Attachments

• 20221222_180418.jpg
      20221222_180418.jpg
      433.6 KB · Views: 34
    Top Bottom