• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garym

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Been thinking of turning a cheap 22 revolver such as a heritage or wrangler into a smooth bore to shoot rat shot out of.
    Has anyone done anything like this?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Been thinking of turning a cheap 22 revolver such as a heritage or wrangler into a smooth bore to shoot rat shot out of.
    Has anyone done anything like this?
    From what I understand it's gotta be rifled or else it's not a handgun anymore, but a short barreled shotgun or maybe even an "other" and must be registered. But I'm not a gun lawyer. I'd call up and ask the Class 3 gunsmith guru at Jay's Range in Baker. If I'm not mistaken, this is why the 410 revolvers have rifled barrels

I do know that for the money involved with registration, swapping barrels or milling an original barrel you'd be better off just buying a 410 shotgun revolver or if you want lightweight then buy a S&W 642 and use 38 Special shotshells. You'd be more lethal with a higher success rate than 22lr too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220831-220025.png
      Screenshot_20220831-220025.png
      1.5 MB · Views: 65
    Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Specifications Henry Garden Gun Smoothbore .22 LR Shotshell » Model Number H001GG Action Type Lever Action Caliber .22 LR Shotshell Capacity 15 Rounds M.S.R. Price $468.00 Additional Specifications Barrel Length 18.5" Barrel Type Round Blued Steel Rate of Twist N/A Overall Length 36.5" Weight 5.25 lbs. Receiver Finish Black Rear Sight Fully Adjustable

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Specifications Henry Garden Gun Smoothbore .22 LR Shotshell » Model Number H001GG Action Type Lever Action Caliber .22 LR Shotshell Capacity 15 Rounds M.S.R. Price $468.00 Additional Specifications Barrel Length 18.5" Barrel Type Round Blued Steel Rate of Twist N/A Overall Length 36.5" Weight 5.25 lbs. Receiver Finish Black Rear Sight Fully Adjustable
    Yep, winchester back in the day made them for gardens. Also carnival shooting gallery's your really not that bad a shot. Ya don't really need to mod one just get an old revolver or rebarrel with a 32 Barrel. Ymmv

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have one of the Henrys and so does my son,great way to start a kid shooting a real gun. Let them shoot at balloons, no kick loud pop and more than likely gonna hit the target, and oh by the way they are deadly on rats and starlings.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I've seen people buy old 26.5mm flare guns and buy inserts to make them into a homemade firearm legally. Buy a 22 insert adapter and then drill it smooth and you're in business. You can also get all sorts of other caliber adapters for them.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have a Remington bolt action .22 smooth bore that I picked up several years ago. I am here to tell you that the smooth bore definitely makes a huge difference in the lethality of those .22 shot shells. I would venture to say that I have killed rats from every bit of 25 feet away versus the normal 5-6 feet.

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've killed plenty of rats and snakes with my 6" Heritage from 10' or so with no problem, usually with the first shot. Not sure you really need to change it to a smooth bore. As the others have said for longer shots the smooth bore rifles are great.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    I would search for an old RG swing out cylinder and "wear the bore out" somehow. Besides when is the last time any LEO has asked to inspect the bore in your .22? Even if so, it would be very believable that the old RG had lost its rifling.

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ive been thinking of throwing my 22 adapter in my derringer and my single shot .410 topper to see what the shotshells do. I also want to ream an adapter for 22 mag

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ive been thinking of throwing my 22 adapter in my derringer and my single shot .410 topper to see what the shotshells do. I also want to ream an adapter for 22 mag
    I've played around with several 12ga adapters, they are fun and also suprisingly quiet.... 9mm, 22, 45colt, 357. Rifled ones work the best. My tactical single shot...lol.
    20200506_135428.jpg

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am 65 years old , I have shot rat shot in 22 revolvers since I was old enough to hold a 22 revolver. I am at a loss as to why you think you need a smooth Bore barrel. I have lived on a farm my entire life. The 22 With rat shot in it is just a Tool that is necessary For the environment in which We live.For my education would someone please explain the need for the smooth bore.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am 65 years old , I have shot rat shot in 22 revolvers since I was old enough to hold a 22 revolver. I am at a loss as to why you think you need a smooth Bore barrel. I have lived on a farm my entire life. The 22 With rat shot in it is just a Tool that is necessary For the environment in which We live.For my education would someone please explain the need for the smooth bore.
    I totally agree,my first was a Springfield bolt action that my Uncle gave me. This gun has countless rat shot fired through it, not well maintained over the years and still you can shoot a squirrel in the head at 50 yards easy . I have shot starlings with gallery 22s at 50 + yards numerous times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom