APOD Firearms

Slam fires: primers and reloading for semiauto rifles.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like if I want to do reloading I will have to use the primers that I have on hand. No telling when I will be finding small pistol and small rifle primers at normal pricing. If I find some, I of course will I buy.

Many sources suggest using the CCI hard primers for 5.56 and 7.62x51 and other semiauto rounds. Now my rem 6 and a halves are going to the 30 US M1 carbine and that is supposed to be right primer for it even if some people on the internet say otherwise.
    The big question is the AR15 with 300 black out. I would like to use some of my standard small rifle Winchester small rifle and believe it or not RWS primers. I only have one carton of No 41 cci small rifle 5.56 primers.
    The big worry is slam fire.
    I have loaded the M1 and M14 rifles with standard primer did not have any problems. For the AK, SKS, type rifles I would only use the Hard CCI no 34 that I have enough of.
    Do any here know of slam fires using standard primers

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If you read it on the internet {many sources} it just has to be true ??? TOTAL BULL SHIT.
    I've run 7 1/2 and 205M through two AR's with no problems, also 210's and 9 1/2 through 2 308 AR's and an M1A with zero problems. Can't speak to the others.
    Just make sure your primers are seated below the case head, which hasn't been a problem with any hand held priming tool I've used.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you read it on the internet {many sources} it just has to be true ??? TOTAL BULL SHIT.
    I've run 7 1/2 and 205M through two AR's with no problems, also 210's and 9 1/2 through 2 308 AR's and an M1A with zero problems. Can't speak to the others.
    Just make sure your primers are seated below the case head, which hasn't been a problem with any hand held priming tool I've used.
    What I know from my own experience is never to let something like an SKS slam shut with the bolt in the fully retracted position on an already chambered round. The round did not go off, but it left a good indentation on the chinese military primer. If I had repeated it, likely the primer would have detonated.
    For single loading I was taught with the M1 garand to let the bolt close on a chambered round from about 40% retracted back position.
    I guess after priming find a flat piece of smooth steel and stand the case up to see if the primers are at least flush.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've never had a problem, neither of my brothers have ever had a problem, none of my friends who reload and shoot semi-auto have had a problem, none of the folks who have ever taken one of my classes have ever had a problem, in the courses I've attended I've never witnessed a problem, and in all the fun range time over the years with friends shooting reloads have I ever witnessed a problem.

I believe proper primer seating is the answer.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I use #400 CCI SRP for ALL of my 5.56 and 300bo loads. I've probably sent around 2000 of them down the tube and not a single issue with them. I hit the bolt release each time and have never encountered an issue. Not so say this it's impossible to happen, but hasn't happened so far. I'm pretty rough on my guns and treat them like the tools they are. I don't baby them. Tube fed may present a one in a million issue, but I honestly wouldn't stress it. If it says small rifle primer on the box, send it.

10wt308

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    been handloading for 50 years and for about 35 of those we used regular cci and Winchester primers without incident. Now, with the “new information” and just in case I use the “harder” primers.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never had a problem as of yet. But I wouldn't be so bold as to say it couldn't happen . On a some what related note , I had a bad primer the other day . I believe that is the first one I've had in 30 or 40 years of reloading .

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The rotating cam bolt design prevents slam fires from happening the the AR. It’s very easy for it to happen in something like an SKS with a floating firing pin and nothing to prevent the firing pin from sticking forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On a reload some years ago someonw claimed he had a 303 Enfield go off as he gently rotated the bolt shut. I would guess a high primer and dirty primer pocket.

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Full length resize with small base dies and I can't see how you'll get slam fire unless the firing pin and/or primer is protruding beyond specs, other than a dirty chamber that won't let the round seat........ In my experience, autoloaders of any kind want factory specs; fire formed cases (not resized, or just neck sized) are hit and miss, at best. Good luck.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom