• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i am doing some research on the Son Tay Raid for a project we are working on where i work. i THINK i once saw a thread on here about the single point scope that was used by the heroes on that POW camp rescue effort. if anyone can point me to that OR ANY info on the single point scope, i would be appreciative.

Attachments

• Richard-Meadows-Son-Tay-Meadows-8.jpg
      Richard-Meadows-Son-Tay-Meadows-8.jpg
      17 KB · Views: 49
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    i am doing some research on the Son Tay Raid for a project we are working on where i work. i THINK i once saw a thread on here about the single point scope that was used by the heroes on that POW camp rescue effort. if anyone can point me to that OR ANY info on the single point scope, i would be appreciative.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    when i became a civilian police officer at Hurlburt in 2009 they gave me a GAU-5. didnt know what it was. i had to look it up. all the M4s had acogs and for some reason the three civlian cops werent allowed to have them. our rifles were iron sight. still outshot everyone on my flight but two.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    As you probably know there was a to scale POW Camp on Eglin AFB that was used for rehearsal of the rescue mission. I actually got to see it briefly when I was stationed at Hurlburt Field. I haven't been to the Armament Museum at Eglin in years, but there very well may be an example of that mount there. Good luck!

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    As you probably know there was a to scale POW Camp on Eglin AFB that was used for rehearsal of the rescue mission. I actually got to see it briefly when I was stationed at Hurlburt Field. I haven't been to the Armament Museum at Eglin in years, but there very well may be an example of that mount there. Good luck!
    i will check on that but the AFSOC historian tells me that there isnt much about son tay at the armament museum. but then he isnt a gun guy so i will check for myself. i know about the rehearsal camp but didnt think there was anything left. up at duke, or around there, i think.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Really good read, also great info on an early red dot optic! thanks!
    after reading this i realize my issued weapon must have just had the just the GAU 5 lower because the barrel was definitely 16 inch, not 10. i do remember the recievers were very mismatched in color and went together sloppy. when i shot it i would twist it a bit to take the play out of it. i couldnt find any pics of the rifle, you would have thought i would taken a picture of it but all i have is pics of my stupid mug and the guys i worked with.

Attachments

• p_00054.jpg
      p_00054.jpg
      253.6 KB · Views: 46
    • p_00055.jpg
      p_00055.jpg
      213.2 KB · Views: 45
    • p_00267.jpg
      p_00267.jpg
      185.5 KB · Views: 41

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    FWIW, the GAU-5's we carried in the 20th SOS were slick side models w/ A-2 sights w/ 12.5" barrels. They had the smaller CAR style 3 position stock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom