HD Tactical

SHTF Handgun, whats your favorite go to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mambeaux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ll grab my Glock45, something about this pistol just fits right. I shoot it better than my 17 or other full size. I like my Glocks because they work, bone stock, so I keep them that way (internals atleast). Not going to do any competition shooting with it, but its going to go bang and w/these +5’s, I have a lot opportunities. The surefire is an added solid 1000 lumens to the face as well.
    I have a G45. Do have to change the slide to add a Holosun?

SMeyer524

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I have a G45. Do have to change the slide to add a Holosun?
    Mines an MOS, so unless yours is as well, you would need to get it milled to add a Holosun or RMR.

I take that back, they do have beaver tail options that replace rear sight with a plate. Cons to that is you lose your back up irons.

Mambeaux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mines an MOS, so unless yours is as well, you would need to get it milled to add a Holosun or RMR.

I take that back, they do have beaver tail options that replace rear sight with a plate. Cons to that is you lose your back up irons.
    Thanks for the info! If my dealer has a G45 MOS Blue Label I will it and my G45 will be for sale

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess it really depends on how you define SHTF. At my age, I don't intend to engage in any running gun fights so I define SHTF as a more "threat to me personally" thing. If I could not avoid a SHTF scenario, and was forced plan/carry for it, I would want something that will work under just about any condition I can thnk of, including being pressed against some animal that might have me down. That's a revolver. For me, S&W model 69, 2.75 in barrel. .44 mag, cause my intent is to end this as quickly as possible and walk away. I know, old school.......

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    I guess it really depends on how you define SHTF. At my age, I don't intend to engage in any running gun fights so I define SHTF as a more "threat to me personally" thing. If I could not avoid a SHTF scenario, and was forced plan/carry for it, I would want something that will work under just about any condition I can thnk of, including being pressed against some animal that might have me down. That's a revolver. For me, S&W model 69, 2.75 in barrel. .44 mag, cause my intent is to end this as quickly as possible and walk away. I know, old school.......
    I almost said my 686+ snubbie just so you know!

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, been lookin' at those and the Ruger GPs. The only thing holding me back is I'd have to start buying/loading another caliber. In my late 50s, that may be on the horizon. FWIW, my EDC is a plain old Springfield subcompact in .45 ACP. I bought the 69 as a woods gun with a concealed carry option, but around here, I can only conceal the 69 as weather/clothing permits.

Last edited:

focusfront

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't have one. All my handguns throw the brass away. I almost wonder if the best wouldn't be something like a stainless Ruger New Blackhawk in .357 magnum, with a 9mm extra cylinder. If you can get ammo for anything, you can get it for that. And it puts the hrass right in your hand. It doesn't shoot or reload fast, but it's never going to break and needs almost no maintenance. I guess it depends on whether your vision of shtf involves a zombie apocalypse or not.

Redleg155

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Glock 34 Gen 5- extremely short term.

Beretta Bobcat .22 if the Sheriffs Office shows up at my door due to an immediate evacuation of if I am forced to go to a shelter.

Everything I own if I can plan things out and load my truck.

To be honest, most likely my SHTF weapon will be whatever I happen to be carrying at the time something happens. No guarantee I can make it back to the house... in that case G43 with 2 mags.

Members online

Top Bottom