• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Making this post as a little PSA to the group in general to just look over your weapons when you get them and understand the function of the design of them. A good inspection goes a long ways to ensure there is no malfunction that may result in serious injury. Look for parts worn out and broken, as well as if you sell something to someone, tell them as much as you can about it.

Couple weeks ago I traded one of the group members here for a Shotgun they had. I'll mention names, we all have been in communication on the matter and both have been more than helpful with giving me information I needed to diagnose the issue as well as offer to help me with the repair.

Some may have seen it, it is the HK Fabarm S.A.T. 8 Shotgun that was posted for sale by member @Dutch a few weeks ago. He had traded this off to another member, @P4RET and I traded things to him for it.

H&K FABARM.jpg

Weapon is very good quality, Semi-Auto gas operated system with self-adjusting Piston, Works amazing.

I took it apart when I got it, made sure it was complete with all required parts, clean and properly lubricated, function check was good, and went to the range with it. That is where I discovered an issue with the Carrier assembly.

H&K FABARMc.jpg

Basically the way this weapon operates, the Carrier floats on the trigger group and when it's fully to the rear the Bolt locks back. In the forward position it will block the Bolt Release Lever from engaging the Bolt and allow the Bolt to cycle, as well as be able to load the weapon.

Someone at some point grinded and welded on the Carrier for some reason, which I like to call "home engineering" causing this shotgun to have the malfunction that I experienced. I was unable to push the Carrier in to even load the weapon because material was missing on the side of it allowing the Bolt Release Lever to come out and block the Carrier from moving in. At home it worked, on the range during actual use it wore the metal down in the critical area enough to not even work. The weld pretty much broke apart.

Pic of Bolt Release Lever kicked out preventing the Carrier from moving while in the fully forward position, this is not how it is designed.

LOCKED BOLT.jpg

I called Fabarm, they have a location in North Carolina, talked with their gunsmiths and I was pretty much on point with what I thought the issue was. They sent me a new Carrier that arrived yesterday and I installed into the weapon.

Someone definitely butchered the one that was in it, hacked up one on the bottom is what came out.

CARRIERS.jpg

Installed the new Carrier and as expected, weapon functioned per instruction. Bolt Release Lever is held back while the Carrier is in the forward position.

LEVER HELD.jpg

Now that the weapon function checked fully to spec, I went to the range today to test fire it and see.

Weapon loaded and cycled everything perfectly with no malfunction. Low brass birdshot all the way to magnum buckshot. 7 in the tube loaded and it spit them all out, random mix of each every time. The auto adjusting gas system works amazing.

@Dutch and @P4RET this is what was fired today and it spit them out every time. Seems like that part was messed up when you all had this Shotgun and to the point of failure when I got it. I have a video, not sure if it will post here but @JWlineman can vouch for me on it. Shotgun just spits them out with no issue.

FIRED.jpg

As mentioned above both of the guys who had this before me have been more than helpful with info that I asked for and Dutch offered to cover the cost of the part, which is going above and beyond. I've done the same so it's great to see we have people here who do this.

P4RET

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Making this post as a little PSA to the group in general to just look over your weapons when you get them and understand the function of the design of them. A good inspection goes a long ways to ensure there is no malfunction that may result in serious injury. Look for parts worn out and broken, as well as if you sell something to someone, tell them as much as you can about it.

Couple weeks ago I traded one of the group members here for a Shotgun they had. I'll mention names, we all have been in communication on the matter and both have been more than helpful with giving me information I needed to diagnose the issue as well as offer to help me with the repair.

Some may have seen it, it is the HK Fabarm S.A.T. 8 Shotgun that was posted for sale by member @Dutch a few weeks ago. He had traded this off to another member, @P4RET and I traded things to him for it.

View attachment 146156

Weapon is very good quality, Semi-Auto gas operated system with self-adjusting Piston, Works amazing.

I took it apart when I got it, made sure it was complete with all required parts, clean and properly lubricated, function check was good, and went to the range with it. That is where I discovered an issue with the Carrier assembly.

View attachment 146159

Basically the way this weapon operates, the Carrier floats on the trigger group and when it's fully to the rear the Bolt locks back. In the forward position it will block the Bolt Release Lever from engaging the Bolt and allow the Bolt to cycle, as well as be able to load the weapon.

Someone at some point grinded and welded on the Carrier for some reason, which I like to call "home engineering" causing this shotgun to have the malfunction that I experienced. I was unable to push the Carrier in to even load the weapon because material was missing on the side of it allowing the Bolt Release Lever to come out and block the Carrier from moving in. At home it worked, on the range during actual use it wore the metal down in the critical area enough to not even work. The weld pretty much broke apart.

Pic of Bolt Release Lever kicked out preventing the Carrier from moving while in the fully forward position, this is not how it is designed.

View attachment 146160

I called Fabarm, they have a location in North Carolina, talked with their gunsmiths and I was pretty much on point with what I thought the issue was. They sent me a new Carrier that arrived yesterday and I installed into the weapon.

Someone definitely butchered the one that was in it, hacked up one on the bottom is what came out.

View attachment 146161

Installed the new Carrier and as expected, weapon functioned per instruction. Bolt Release Lever is held back while the Carrier is in the forward position.

View attachment 146162

Now that the weapon function checked fully to spec, I went to the range today to test fire it and see.

Weapon loaded and cycled everything perfectly with no malfunction. Low brass birdshot all the way to magnum buckshot. 7 in the tube loaded and it spit them all out, random mix of each every time. The auto adjusting gas system works amazing.

@Dutch and @P4RET this is what was fired today and it spit them out every time. Seems like that part was messed up when you all had this Shotgun and to the point of failure when I got it. I have a video, not sure if it will post here but @JWlineman can vouch for me on it. Shotgun just spits them out with no issue.

View attachment 146163

As mentioned above both of the guys who had this before me have been more than helpful with info that I asked for and Dutch offered to cover the cost of the part, which is going above and beyond. I've done the same so it's great to see we have people here who do this.
    Ben, no doubt that the gun got into the best hands possible. Hope it gives you a lifetime of service.

Dutch

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Outstanding work Ben. I'm amazed it's shooting bird shot like that. Like I told you, I could never get it to cycle with light loads. I will see you next weekend sometime.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So I'll comment on this to clarify something I said above for what it's worth.

Bill (P4RET) and I have been in constant communication with this and other things, and we had met up earlier because he had helped me with some hardware for a rifle. He asked me if this situation with this was resolved, and had not been this past weekend so he stepped up and paid me for the replacement part. $40 was it, doesn't sound like much but we are men of principle and when there is words, you need to put action behind them. He did that. Excellent man of his word to deal with. I would help him out any time if needed.

Looks like the above gun is gas and NOT INERTIA operated. Is that true ?? --- SAWMAN
    Weapon is gas operated as mentioned in my first post. Uses a single piston with adjusting compression ring that self-adjusts to the gas impulse. Simpler than the Rem 1100 and much better design. Works excellent.
    H&K FABARMg.jpg

Top Bottom