• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Watch this. The tool is easy to make that he uses. Works like how old school bike handle bars worked to keep them tight.

With a little "all thread"... and some scrap steel it can be done. Heck even a bike handle bar wedge setup may fit. All ya need is a good round flush contact point directly under the dent. Then simply ping it out. Would be a fun project if I had the tools

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Redneck engineering: If I couldn't cut it, I'd look for a ball bearing the same size of the bore and figure way to press it through. You might be able to drive it through, but pressing it through sounds so much more civilized and technical.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    might work good enough for your needs, If you're not trying for perfection, just a decent look. Have someone weld a rod to it and use a pipe clamp to squeeze it through if you don't want to tap, lots of lube and a little heat may help.
    Probably should might work just almost fine.

72sofsme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So, My father came for a visit from the cold (Ohio) north. Since he gave me the shotgun and I had asked a lot of questions about it, he decided to look it over. It turns out that older shotguns had a small dimple placed on the side of the barrel purposefully to allow momentary gap for the burning powder to escape around the side, just slightly, to scorch the wad around the pellets to keep a tighter cup after it left the barrel and this afforded a slight advantage during turkey shoots back in the day. I am not sure about his source of information, but its old school type stuff. But, after careful inspection of the dent, its very minimal ... visible but very minimal. This changes the scope of this topic slightly as i am now curious if anyone has ever heard of the "dimple" trick or if its just made up old timer stuff. Thank you in advance. P.S.- was able to source (via EBay) a Iver Johnson Champion 12 ga barrel for just about $100, so I now have a backup!

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting. I have an IJ 16 ga. that went from an uncle to my grandfather, to me. No dents/dimples, but that doesn't mean yours is flawed, either. I am no IJ authority by any means. Shoot it and see how it goes. It may shoot just fine with shot (lead) shells, but I wouldn't try slugs for sure.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I may not be on the right train of thought...if you dented the barrel wouldn't it slow the wad down and the shot keep moving since they aren't connected

Reactions: FLT

Latest posts

Top Bottom