• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justapilgrim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My buddy is going to shorten his semi-auto shotgun barrel to make it more suitable for home defense.
    Seems like an easy enough task..cut it off and sand/smooth the rough edge...he wants to know if there is anything else to it he hasn't considered.
    Thanks

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Semi autos can be finicky, a lot of mechanical balancing goes into their design. When you take away barrel length, you start to lose gas pressure and the system becomes less reliable. If your shotgun is gas operated, I would suggest taking an inch off at a time and putting rounds through it each time to make sure itll still cycle okay. All depends on the gun you have though, some may not mind losing barrel length as much as others.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I shortened a Remington 1100 to IIRC 19" and it runs good with low brass and high brass. I don't know what barrel length you need to operate a gas gun? which I believe the Remington is ? I took a litttle off the stock end also, I love the lil thing.
    025.JPG

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Some definitely take mods better than others! I was wanting to SBS my Lynx, but my research determined that you can only take about 4 inches off the barrel before it starts having issues with low brass. I'd definitely side with Rebel, you might be better off getting a short factory auto. I personally don't think that a 4 inch shorter barreled Lynx would be worth the $200 stamp to me.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I wish they had it for the 1100 but I don't see any out there.

I am liking the SBS thing, I guess it's a $200.00 stamp or is it less?
    I love a good shotgun and love the shorty's

check these out
    Cover-Shot.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    OIP.jpg

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    My buddy is going to shorten his semi-auto shotgun barrel to make it more suitable for home defense.
    Seems like an easy enough task..cut it off and sand/smooth the rough edge...he wants to know if there is anything else to it he hasn't considered.
    Thanks

You know, I read your post as you guys trying to SBS. Honestly, modern autos will probably work fine over 18 inches. I was assuming you guys were gonna stub to the end of the handguard or something lol.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Iam the frankenbuild guy around here. By the time your done you'll have so much time and $$ tied up in it. Also low resale cause its been chopped and fiddled with. Trust me. Spend it.
    Or go all out and Sbs it and throw a suppressor on it to add gas pressure, and bring balance back to the system! Been researching that option for my SBS Lynx build idea. Plus your hearing will thank you if you ever have to blast a fool in your house with a cut down 12 gauge and no hearing protection.

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Only works with high brass, but hell, the gun was free and so is ammo

Attachments

• 86F10B43-24A3-4B8A-95A0-8B9AA2D9AC0A.jpeg
      86F10B43-24A3-4B8A-95A0-8B9AA2D9AC0A.jpeg
      472.3 KB · Views: 113

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Helped Shortened some 1100 for a le department back in the 70 s for entry guns , don't remember the length but was just in front of the forearm. had two things to deal with . one was the function and a way to keep some one from blowing they hand off under a stress situation. Would only work with high brass loads would just work, so open up the gas port a little. to help with the with the functioning, the hand part , put a metal piece . that was held on by the end cap that would not let your hand slide in front of the barrel. the dept. did the paper work to meet atf req. Don't know if they still have these. Just my 5 cents jj

Top Bottom