Shooting the C308.....Fantastic until...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The roll pin that holds the spring broke. Well more like wiggled out and got pinched.

Stuck a scope on it. Good groups at 50 yards shooting the steel cased wolf. Trigger is terrible. But was still able to get groups that quarter would touch 3 shots or smaller. Impressive. Chevron brake worked it's way loose about 50 rds in. Ate all brass and steel cases. 0 problems, feeding,ejecting and mags worked, 5 and20 rd. The g3 mags work but they are a pain to get in. Even after 150 rds and filthy still going bang and running. ( it was dirty when I got it) put the scope on, thought these would work but need higher ones. Eye relief. Rail is solid.

Very pleased with the rifle With the exception of the spring keeper roll pin working loose.

Attachments

• 20200421_135716.jpg
      20200421_135716.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 386
    • 20200421_134437.jpg
      20200421_134437.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 388
    • 20200421_124136.jpg
      20200421_124136.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 375
    • 20200421_131735.jpg
      20200421_131735.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 359

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Used the pin from the box o parts and got it fixed. Ready to shoot. Noticed there's lot o strange parts in this thing. Had a 30 min cussing fest trying to get the rollers to unlock. Finely had to you tube it. 50lb spring on the bolt that holds it to the rear. The only thing this has in common with the AR is they both go bang, lol. Trigger pack drops out in one piece. This one is the "navy" poly one. It just Rocks in. And one of the two pins holds it in the reciever.
    I wonder what can be done to smooth out the trigger? Would cocking it and dropping the hammer say 1000 times clean it up?

Very cool design.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Used the pin from the box o parts and got it fixed. Ready to shoot. Noticed there's lot o strange parts in this thing. Had a 30 min cussing fest trying to get the rollers to unlock. Finely had to you tube it. 50lb spring on the bolt that holds it to the rear. The only thing this has in common with the AR is they both go bang, lol. Trigger pack drops out in one piece. This one is the "navy" poly one. It just Rocks in. And one of the two pins holds it in the reciever.
    I wonder what can be done to smooth out the trigger? Would cocking it and dropping the hammer say 1000 times clean it up?

Very cool design.

Found the correct mags for $4 each yeah!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For a G3 and PTR91, the german aluminum mag when fully loaded require force to get in. I find it easier to lock open the bolt first. They go in with a semi-rocking motion. Yes a you-tube video is needed for reassemly. New BCGs may still need a little mechanical help to turn and pull out. My trigger is not too bad and it is just the luck of draw as to what you get. Not being a gas operated system I will eventually try cast bullet loads in mine.
    My gun has 1 in 10 rifling twist so it should handle longer bullets well instead of being stuck with the 150 one. Barrel is not chromed so one must take care to keep oils and clean after using corrosive ammo of which the few Chinese 308s I have probably are.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The pin is .088. Might be able to use a pin from my AR parts as a spare. Slight hitch on charging the weapon, sometimes requires a hefty yank. Dont know if that's normal, never had a roller before. Bore is very bright, looks chrome to me? I really like the rifle. Wanted to get an AR10 but got this instead.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The pin is .088. Might be able to use a pin from my AR parts as a spare. Slight hitch on charging the weapon, sometimes requires a hefty yank. Dont know if that's normal, never had a roller before. Bore is very bright, looks chrome to me? I really like the rifle. Wanted to get an AR10 but got this instead.
    With drill, nails, and some way to file or grind pins are usually not so hard to make.
    I am not sure what you mean by a hefty yank. You said function was perfect. For sure the G3 is a manly weapon and is not for girly men. It is surely not an AR. The only thing it lacks that it should have is a dust cover.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Have never used either but decent prices for basic trigger jobs if you want to pay to get it done.
    Pretty sure most all the c308 rifles use cetme trigger groups which have similar but different parts than the HK lower.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Repair job worked. Shot fine. Still have to investigate the hitch at the start when charging, the latch seems loose. Sometimes it almost "bang it with a rock" stiff. I think to scope died. Took it off, need a better mount anyway. The rifle was beating me to death. I wasn't able to snug up to it properly because of the eye relief.

Attachments

• 20200422_141338.jpg
      20200422_141338.jpg
      462 KB · Views: 332

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Repair job worked. Shot fine. Still have to investigate the hitch at the start when charging, the latch seems loose. Sometimes it almost "bang it with a rock" stiff.
    You problem may be the charging handle. On a G3 the handle acts apply leverage to break the rollers out of the the locking recesses. If there is something wrong with your handle you could have problems with racking the action.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I run my HK's with a fair amount of grease internally. It is H&K labled grease that I have had since I bought the guns.
    Same with my AR's and my older FN. A fairly heavy grease stays in place much better than oil. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I run my HK's with a fair amount of grease internally. It is H&K labled grease that I have had since I bought the guns.
    Same with my AR's and my older FN. A fairly heavy grease stays in place much better than oil. --- SAWMAN
    I use grease on the PTR91. I have not made up my mind on the AR. Normally I would choose grease, but I am reading of people using breakfree clp and other light lubricants. I generally prefer grease for a bolt carrier group because like sawman said it stays in place better than oil, especially when the gun gets hot. I am not sure about the AR since gas is blown into part of the bolt carrier.
    Gas is blown directly into the receiver from the fluted chamber on G3 type weapons also.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mine does the same sheet. It’s typical century quality, between already worn out parts, incorrect rollers, ground carrier to make bolt gap 1/2 correct the easy way. Try the dime test to see if it gets any easier to pull charging handle. May could try new handle.
    But looks like your carrier front had been ground already.
    Grab a beer or three and start reading this. Pics don’t show up for me. They may if you’re registered.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mine does the same sheet. It’s typical century quality, between already worn out parts, incorrect rollers, ground carrier to make bolt gap 1/2 correct the easy way. Try the dime test to see if it gets any easier to pull charging handle. May could try new handle.
    But looks like your carrier front had been ground already.
    Grab a beer or three and start reading this. Pics don’t show up for me. They may if you’re registered.

Thanks I'll check it out. Have had 0 issues feeding and firing. Even left it dirty trying to see if it would screw up. Nope. Goes bang everytime. And until the scope crapped out it was fairly accurate too.

Top Bottom