• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Perhaps a FUDD is required to explain that .22s,mag dumping morons, and you ain't going to draw, run, climb, on a 1K line. You did read that this is about shooting on the 1K Line?

Actually, at Altus, you can.
    You should look up PRS.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Since the longest distance course of fire is at the 400 yard range, can you expound upon the course of fire at the 1K range Please?

Certainly. The matches are ran on the same lines as the furthest targets. it’s your choice which targets you engage when training and what you want to shoot from, whether it be a truck, tire, rooftop or platform.
    And BTW, I didn’t meant to offend, I do apologize for that if offense was taken.

JWrecks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dan, I got kinda the same vibe from Element. It had a lot of the same features when I went on a saturday and wasn't densely populated, For less price.

Does it have a reputation for Fudds and Tacticool mag dumpers?

I haven't purchased my membership yet because my birthday is next week and I suspect my wife has already bought one for me.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Certainly. The matches are ran on the same lines as the furthest targets. it’s your choice which targets you engage when training and what you want to shoot from, whether it be a truck, tire, rooftop or platform.
    And BTW, I didn’t meant to offend, I do apologize for that if offense was taken.
    No offense, just a little concern. Since 168 SMK's won't perform over 800 yards, and I've yet to meet someone that can run & gun at the 1K line, I didn't want to be one of those FUDD RO's at the 1K Line.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If Element is the same at Southern Tactical, it’s quite different from Altus in the sense that bays are a lot more spread out and have dedicated setups. What I hate about that place is how hot it gets. No grass, just clay to hold and magnify the heat, and no breeze because of the topography.

As far as RO’s, at Altus, there are no RO’s and no restrictions on rate of fire or drawing.

There are also no Fudds or idiots mag dumping in a general direction for fun. It’s seems like people there are usually training and account for their rounds, which lends itself to a safer environment. Plink or train, I don’t care, just do it safely.

As far as running and gunning at distance, I’ve only ever competed out to 400, but when I take an AR out to 800 (with a spotter), I’m stationary, but it’s from the exact same places, just different (further) targets down the same line, if that makes sense.

I believe the price of admission (membership) keeps it that way. In that sense, I would imagine both ranges are similar although I’ve only ever been to Holt to compete.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If Element is the same at Southern Tactical, it’s quite different from Altus in the sense that bays are a lot more spread out and have dedicated setups. What I hate about that place is how hot it gets. No grass, just clay to hold and magnify the heat, and no breeze because of the topography.

As far as RO’s, at Altus, there are no RO’s and no restrictions on rate of fire or drawing.

There are also no Fudds or idiots mag dumping in a general direction for fun. It’s seems like people there are usually training and account for their rounds, which lends itself to a safer environment. Plink or train, I don’t care, just do it safely.

As far as running and gunning at distance, I’ve only ever competed out to 400, but when I take an AR out to 800 (with a spotter), I’m stationary, but it’s from the exact same places, just different (further) targets down the same line, if that makes sense.

I've competed on the 1K line at Fort Stewarts Red Cloud Range with some of those folks from the AMU that where using Government AR's. Those BOY's can shoot. JMHO.

I believe the price of admission (membership) keeps it that way. In that sense, I would imagine both ranges are similar although I’ve only ever been to Holt to compete.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Altus.

No fudd ROs telling me what I can and can’t do. No waiting for the fuddery a few feet away to stop fiddling with their 22s, of for the mag dumping morons to take a break, so that I can check or change my targets. Not to mention hoping I don’t get shot.
    At Altus, I can draw, run, climb, time and do whatever else I want with the endless steel and target stands. 1.5hr drive from my house but totally worth it. While the army thing can be kind of a drag sometimes, as long as I remember to check the schedule, it’s not a big deal.
    The freedom that comes with Altus is the ability to train as I see fit, to me, that’s priceless.
    Thats my other option. I just dont know how often Ill be able to go to either one. Distance from my house is my biggest priority.

I liked ERGC, but they got so crowded, I dont want to re-sign up there.

Altus and Element are a bit more pricy than ERGC so Im hoping for better facilities/ fewer people.

\

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    At a local private range, I was once told to slow my shooting because it was disturbing people a few bays down. I was then asked to show my stamps.
    I let my membership expire and don’t plan on renewing.

I can’t speak for Holt, but at Altus, far less people and significantly better facilities is exactly what you get. If you haven’t been, you’re welcome to join me as a guest. I shoot Mondays or Thursdays depending on whether I’m on weekdays or weekends any given month.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    If they are worried about your stamps they should just notify the ATF. I've heard these stories but first one local.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If they are worried about your stamps they should just notify the ATF. I've heard these stories but first one local.

I should mention this was several years ago. Not sure if this particular Fudd works there anymore. But still, while it’s 20 from my house, I’ll drive the extra hour and pay 5 times as much for freedom and the ability to get in some quality range time.

Top Bottom