• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where are Y'all shooting at the 1K Range Formally or Informally?
    Is the 1K Known Distance actually Long Range Shooting?

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Steel at known distances at Southern Tactical , only two "so-so" bench's but three or four carpeted pads, probably for military training and F & FTR shooters to practice on the 1000 Yd range

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M118LR: Unfortunately, you are in Jacksonville area. If you are ever in the Crestview area, go to ALTUS Shooting Solution. Premier long range shooting facility. I've been to Manatee, it does not come close to ALTUS. They have two National Precision Match annually (Pro Shooters show up for it). It is a private club. If you are in the area, bring your toys, I'll take you. We have rocks, truck, SUV, moving tgt, Buses, etc out beyond 1K yd. https://www.facebook.com/altusshooting

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M118LR: Unfortunately, you are in Jacksonville area. If you are ever in the Crestview area, go to ALTUS Shooting Solution. Premier long range shooting facility. I've been to Manatee, it does not come close to ALTUS. They have two National Precision Match annually (Pro Shooters show up for it). It is a private club. If you are in the area, bring your toys, I'll take you. We have rocks, truck, SUV, moving tgt, Buses, etc out beyond 1K yd. https://www.facebook.com/altusshooting

Mr.T, Your offer humbles me. As to my toy's, Can I bring the TAC-50 and shall it be allowed? Do I need to scale down to the .300 Win Mag? Or is the ALTUS Shooting Solution Range limited to .308 Win like all the Military Courses I currently shoot? About the toys that those National Precision Match NRA folks field? There are serious NRA restrictions about the toys taken to the range. But I appreciate your offer and await the Rules of the Range response. Thank You.

PS. is there any problem if I wheel my spouse to the firing line if she is sporting double ear protection? There are other restrictions that Care Givers need to consider. She won't be a participant, but I may not be able to play if I can't take her with me. Just a Thought.

Last edited:

Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mr.T, Your offer humbles me. As to my toy's, Can I bring the TAC-50 and shall it be allowed? Do I need to scale down to the .300 Win Mag? Or is the ALTUS Shooting Solution Range limited to .308 Win like all the Military Courses I currently shoot? About the toys that those National Precision Match NRA folks field? There are serious NRA restrictions about the toys taken to the range. But I appreciate your offer and await the Rules of the Range response. Thank You.

PS. is there any problem if I wheel my spouse to the firing line if she is sporting double ear protection? There are other restrictions that Care Givers need to consider. She won't be a participant, but I may not be able to play if I can't take her with me. Just a Thought.

300WM is fine, but I have to chx with Range manager on the .50BMG. Plz stand by. ALTUS folks are off until Tuesday. None shooting participant are welcome. Eyes Ears protection requirements applied. There are range rules to follow as well. As a guess, you and yours will be accompany by me (member) at all time. Except bathroom, LOL. You can bring pistols, Airsoft BB Gun, etc. We can go to any pistol/rifle bay (AR15/AR10), roof top connex, or any long range shooting areas (move around) all we wants. Most of the time the range have no more than 15 people at a time. Pretty cool for a 150+ acres range. If you looks at the pictures on their media sites, various sizes steel target already set out & ready for you. No green tip or armor piercing rounds are permitted. Have you looked their website? They are specialize in custom Long Range rifle as well. Let me know well in advance when you think you'd like to visit. I compete almost every weekend. Mostly USPSA, Steel Challenge, CQB Combat, 2gun and 2gun matches. My team mates and I travel to MS, AL, GA and S FL. I have LR stuff but, don't compete in LR match (only NRL22 from time to time). Note; It is in the middle of national forest; hence, no cell phone signal.

JWrecks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Does anyone know if this range out in Geneva, AL is still in operation?

It was a really great range with multiple targets and the young staff would go run your targets out for you in a four wheeler. I really appreciated it. Under 40 bucks a visit and when I was there it had a range out to 800.

.22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    Does anyone know if this range out in Geneva, AL is still in operation?

It was a really great range with multiple targets and the young staff would go run your targets out for you in a four wheeler. I really appreciated it. Under 40 bucks a visit and when I was there it had a range out to 800.

Have you tried calling them?

Attachments

• A65D09DC-5E00-4EEB-B84F-82389CB464D9.png
      A65D09DC-5E00-4EEB-B84F-82389CB464D9.png
      3.7 MB · Views: 164

JWrecks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah, the Google number didn't work. It was only two hours from me. Which is a lot closer than the Pascagoula range.

Sorry, Altus is just way too expensive for me. Sounds like a great place though.

JWrecks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    * sorry, that number listed on their website is a Google number and wasn't in service.

Thought maybe someone on here was a regular there or closer and knew the story.

JWrecks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This weekend I went up to Element range in Holt, formerly southern tactical. That place is huge, it has 1100 yards known/unknown targets on the range and they are building a tower. They have a building made of storage containers to shoot from. The manager, Dan, was really accommodating. The price was only 365 for an annual membership. I called him up and he took me on a tour of the facility. It's currently looks like the best deal in the area for distance shooting.

I recommend going out there to ask them for a tour. He mentioned there was no daily fee, only memberships. But, I imagine if you were coming in from out of town they'd make concessions. Seems like the new ownership is really trying to bend over backwards to establish trust with the community.

I'm really glad I went, one of the employees at Grey Man Tactical in Milton advised me to have a look.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This weekend I went up to Element range in Holt, formerly southern tactical. That place is huge and has 1100 yards known/unknown targets on the range and they are building a tower. They have a building made of storage containers to shoot from. The manager, Dan, was really accommodating. The price was only 365 for an annual membership. I called him up and he took me on a tour of the facility. It's currently looks like the best deal in the area for distance shooting.

I recommend going out there to ask them for a tour. He mentioned there was no daily fee, only memberships. But, I imagine if you were coming in from out of town they'd make concessions. Seems like the new ownership is really trying to bend over backwards to establish trust with the community.

I'm really glad I went, one of the employees at Grey Man Tactical in Milton advised me to have a look.

Perhaps a website?

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I would join you for a tour , just to see what changes & improvements they have made since I was a member, but I'll wait till the a more enjoyable temp.
    HA! Late August isn't my preferred time to go shoot, but between my wife and I working, and having a little one to watch, I have to go when I can. :)
    I'm going to try to go in the morning before its 110 heat index.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    HA! Late August isn't my preferred time to go shoot, but between my wife and I working, and having a little one to watch, I have to go when I can. :)
    I'm going to try to go in the morning before its 110 heat index.
    Beware the Mirage!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Altus.

No fudd ROs telling me what I can and can’t do. No waiting for the fuddery a few feet away to stop fiddling with their 22s, of for the mag dumping morons to take a break, so that I can check or change my targets. Not to mention hoping I don’t get shot.
    At Altus, I can draw, run, climb, time and do whatever else I want with the endless steel and target stands. 1.5hr drive from my house but totally worth it. While the army thing can be kind of a drag sometimes, as long as I remember to check the schedule, it’s not a big deal.
    The freedom that comes with Altus is the ability to train as I see fit, to me, that’s priceless.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Altus.

No fudd ROs telling me what I can and can’t do. No waiting for the fuddery a few feet away to stop fiddling with their 22s, of for the mag dumping morons to take a break, so that I can check or change my targets. Not to mention hoping I don’t get shot.
    At Altus, I can draw, run, climb, time and do whatever else I want with the endless steel and target stands. 1.5hr drive from my house but totally worth it. While the army thing can be kind of a drag sometimes, as long as I remember to check the schedule, it’s not a big deal.
    The freedom that comes with Altus is the ability to train as I see fit, to me, that’s priceless.
    Perhaps a FUDD is required to explain that .22s,mag dumping morons, and you ain't going to draw, run, climb, on a 1K line. You did read that this is about shooting on the 1K Line?

Perhaps this is not your best post Dan1612?

Top Bottom