• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know all prices are crazy right now, but looking at various sites and advertised prices, why is 7.62x51/.308 so much (sometimes more than twice as much) as .556/.223? Not that much bigger bullet or powder load, at least not 2x. I know supply and demand is a factor, but realistically why? Thanks for any insight.

F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Tell me about, I own a M1-A, Steyr 69 SSG, HS Precision, REM 5R,and 700P. I don’t want to sell them at all.
    Luckily I stocked up a little before prices went crazy. Walmart had Win FMJ for $22/box,wife was with me, otherwise I’d probably snag it anyways.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    are you sure it shouldn't be twice as high? I guess it would depend on what bullet you were running in the .223. A good common one is a 77gr. A good common .308 is 150gr ...so that is twice the material. A common powder charge for a .223....25gr...for a .308 43gr...not twice but close...there may be twice the brass there too...just some thoughts

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    are you sure it shouldn't be twice as high? I guess it would depend on what bullet you were running in the .223. A good common one is a 77gr. A good common .308 is 150gr ...so that is twice the material. A common powder charge for a .223....25gr...for a .308 43gr...not twice but close...there may be twice the brass there too...just some thoughts
    There's the added logistics in moving the added weight also. It occupies valuable space on shelves too, it seems to sell slower. Some big box stores dont own the product they have in stock and instead lease the shelves out to companies. There's likely less profit margins making them than with a quicker easier round that sells faster in general. I know that's why 22 is one of the first to sell out, and takes the longest to be restocked when it does... as it requires the manufacturer to shut down making something more profitable to make them. From what I gather they make the less profitable rounds when times are slow between batches of other types.
    I'm no pro on the matter tho and take what I said with a grain of salt. It's all speculation and things I've heard over time

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn’t see any ammo manufacturing folks at any of the big matches I attended this year.

Usually that’s where I get my insights.

On a side note, I really miss the big vendor sections that used to follow the state and area matches around. I guess online sales made that unnecessary.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take a knee guys. 360 degree watch. Drink some water, relax, get your head back in the game.

No one is shooting at us. No one is hurt/bleeding. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Don't be part of the problem. Don't stampede with the rest of the herd.

Latest posts

Top Bottom