• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It turned out to be work to install Ruger Rings on the Ruger Hawkeye Guide Gun, than mounting Badger Ord Rail & Rings on a Rem 700 SA.

Items I'd recommend:
    Wheeler FAT WRENCH, or other suitable inch torque wrench.
    Wheeler Level-Level-Level Crosshair Leveling Kit.
    Q-Tips & Isopropyl Alcohol.
    Cadwell Steady Rest, or other suitable rifle rest.
    Feelers Gauge.

Perhaps a spoon full of extra patience, as the Ruger Hawkeye has some specific quirks.
    Like the forward (closest to the muzzle end) ring mount dovetail requires a shorter ring set than the aft dovetail mount.
    (ie In this case the forward dovetail is fitted with the Ruger 4K30HM scope ring 30mm 1.031, while the aft is fitted with Ruger 5K30HM scope ring 30mm 1.156.)
    For larger scopes requiring higher mounting the forward Ring would be 5K##XX and the aft ring would be 6K##XX.
    It's unusual, but that's Rugers Recommendation as the dovetail mounting surfaces are not level. Now comes the kicker. Try to find torque specs for Ruger Rings?

So here is where I switch to Badger Ordnance Procedures for Mounting rings.

Using the Action Level on the dovetail and the scope level on the top of the open ring base I ensured they are level, then proceed to torque the ring base nut in 10 inch pound increments to desired 65 inch pounds ensuring everything remains level.

Finding the proper scope for the Hawkeye Guide Gun requires a little research. There is a little less than 4 1/2 inches from the forward scope ring to the base of the flip-up rear iron sight. (Don't purchase a scope with a longer bell length, ie a Weaver model 800362 3-15 X 50 won't mount well) So I ended up mounting a Weaver Model 800368 2-10 X 36, which kept the end of the bell 1/2 inch from the base of the rear flip-up iron sight when mounted as far aft in the rings as possible.

Placing the scope into the mounted open topped ring bases, ensure bolt & cartridge extraction won't be hindered. Place the ring tops into place and start hand start the ring screws. This is when the feelers gauge comes in handy, keep both sides of the ring gaps even. Once again it's time to use the (Wheeler) Scope Level atop the scope and the action level on the dovetail base to ensure things are all Level throughout the procedure. Using the 4-Screw torque pattern in 2 inch pound increments continue until reaching the desired 15-18 inch pounds of torque are evenly distributed on all the ring screws.

How's this match up with Y'all's Scope Mounting Experiences on Ruger Hawkeye Models?
    Any helpful tips?
    Anything Y'all just plain disregard?
    Open for input. Thanks.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I've mounted scopes on dozens of Ruger rifles over the years,probably in excess of 100. Only tools used was a big flathead screwdriver, the allen/torx wrench supplied with the Ruger rings and my eyeballs for level work.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've mounted scopes on dozens of Ruger rifles over the years,probably in excess of 100. Only tools used was a big flathead screwdriver, the allen/torx wrench supplied with the Ruger rings and my eyeballs for level work.
    Took the Ruger Hawkeye Guide Gun out. Round 1 @ 25 yards 1 1/4 inches high dead center, made no adjustment. On to the 50 yard line: 6 rounds from 3 different shooters 5 out of the six rounds touching at 1 inch high dead center to one caliber width right, still no adjustment. On to the 100 yard line: 6 rounds from three different shooters. adjusted to 1/2 inch high all six rounds touching dead center. 20 rounds, three different shooters, three different distances, all rounds within 1 1/2 by 2 inch box. Didn't make any corrections until we got to the 100 yard line. I wanted POI to be 1/2 inch high of POA. Started to rain (I mean Florida Rain) so we didn't make the 200 or 300 yard range. Got a couple of weeks until Grandma gets back from out west, so I'll have a chance for a few more range sessions. But basically, the Original Mounting didn't need any adjustment, could have fired just one round and been done. Not Bad. JMHO.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Took the Ruger Hawkeye Guide Gun out. Round 1 @ 25 yards 1 1/4 inches high dead center, made no adjustment. On to the 50 yard line: 6 rounds from 3 different shooters 5 out of the six rounds touching at 1 inch high dead center to one caliber width right, still no adjustment. On to the 100 yard line: 6 rounds from three different shooters. adjusted to 1/2 inch high all six rounds touching dead center. 20 rounds, three different shooters, three different distances, all rounds within 1 1/2 by 2 inch box. Didn't make any corrections until we got to the 100 yard line. I wanted POI to be 1/2 inch high of POA. Started to rain (I mean Florida Rain) so we didn't make the 200 or 300 yard range. Got a couple of weeks until Grandma gets back from out west, so I'll have a chance for a few more range sessions. But basically, the Original Mounting didn't need any adjustment, could have fired just one round and been done. Not Bad. JMHO.
    This shows.....Your time and effort were well spent!!! :cool:

Top Bottom