• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zdiver99

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Does anybody have information on UYG and Monstrum scopes. Was interested in G3 1-6X24 Monstrum and the UTG 1-8X28. Both are FFP. Are there any other I should consider for 300AAC and 308 for mid-range shooting? Thanks for any info on scopes and mounts.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    In the world of optics, you certainly get what you pay for. At the price range for those scopes I would not expect much as far as glass quality and internal functioning (repeat zero, response, tracking, etc.) over time with actual use.

I'm pretty sure both are from China.

I'd highly recommend you pay a little more and get a Vortex Viper PST or SWFA SS if you're wanting a LPVO.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    There was a Monstrum on a rifle that I bought.
    I asked the seller if he would lower the price and keep the scope. He declined,and I understand why.
    When I took posession of the weapon,I immediately removed the scope .... and GAVE IT AWAY.
    UNDERSTAND !! ---- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    300 to 500 yards.

I know people are looking to save money when looking at options... but many seem to not understand that extra money spent on QUALITY matters... especially in the long run.

While spending $500-$700 seems excessive... is it? Speaking as someone who years ago thought that way I can say I no longer do.

Once you start getting past 300 yards, better glass and internals will help you extract the best performance from the SYSTEM.

The SYSTEM...

Shooter
    Rifle
    Optic
    Ammo

All contribute to max performance, which translates to better enjoyment. Don't handicap yourself over a few hundred dollars. Great deals on used optics are out there.

The NUMBER ONE piece of gear guys change after taking my Precision Rifle class is their scope if they were using one of the budget options.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Pay attention, I've learned the hard way. $$$ There is no free lunch. Stick to the higher, midrange scopes. Vortex, nikon, etc. Expect to spend $200 plus. Watch the forum you can score one on here if patient.

zdiver99

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There was a Monstrum on a rifle that I bought.
    I asked the seller if he would lower the price and keep the scope. He declined,and I understand why.
    When I took posession of the weapon,I immediately removed the scope .... and GAVE IT AWAY.
    UNDERSTAND !! ---- SAWMAN
    SAWMAN, Roger that, any recommendation as to what scopes to look at?

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    If you're wanting bang for buck, I'd look at Primary Arms. Their ACSS reticles are practically cheating and they aren't too expensive. You can get anything from a budget $200 scope all the way up to $1k plus if you want, though.

PA, Vortex Diamondback / Viper PST, Trijicon Credo, Athlon, Arken, few others all sit in the $350-$650 price bracket and will be MUCH better than any UTG or Monstrum optic. Black Friday is also right around the corner, don't forget.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    It might help if you were to tell us what weapons you are wanting to scope, and what you are intending to shoot at, at the ranges you mentioned ?
    And, as Fear 21 mentioned, Black Friday is near

zdiver99

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It might help if you were to tell us what weapons you are wanting to scope, and what you are intending to shoot at, at the ranges you mentioned ?.
    May hunt alsor
    Ruger American bolt in 308, 300BLK and 7.62X39. I am shooting paper and steel, May hunt also

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Known or unknown distance?
    Known distance BDC reticle, Unknown distance Mildot (ranging) reticle. Hunting a simple duplex zeroed at point blank range.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Scope power is a personal thing,"google" PRS Scopes and you will find that the average scope is a 6 x 24.
    The next time you are at your 300 to 500 yd. range and there are others shooting, wait till they take a break and politely ask if you can look their scopes.
    If you are ever in the Milton area, let me know, I've got several different scopes you can look through.
    Since there doesn't seam to be any interest in my LH Bbl.action I'll probably pick up a chassis & scope on Black Friday.
    Been looking at this

zdiver99

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Scope power is a personal thing,"google" PRS Scopes and you will find that the average scope is a 6 x 24.
    The next time you are at your 300 to 500 yd. range and there are others shooting, wait till they take a break and politely ask if you can look their scopes.
    If you are ever in the Milton area, let me know, I've got several different scopes you can look through.
    Since there doesn't seam to be any interest in my LH Bbl.action I'll probably pick up a chassis & scope on Black Friday.
    Been looking at this
    Thanks for the info. I get to Milton every couple of weeks. I let you know the next time I am out that way.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    As others have basically said, you get what you pay for. There are so many weird, strange, never heard of before scope brands that are showing up lately. Same with red dots. Buy once, cry once. Don't cheap out, get good glass, it will last you a lifetime.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Ruger American bolt in 308, 300BLK and 7.62X39. I am shooting paper and steel, May hunt also
    I have a 3x9 Leupold Freedom scope ($300) on my Ruger American 762x39. That would be the minimum that I would recommend. Rebel_Rider has I think a 4x12 on his. I find myself thinking that I could sure use that 12x myself. Personally, and from experience, I would recommend a 4x12 quality name brand scope. Please don't buy no cheap China crap to put on your Ruger American. You will regret it, I guarantee.

zdiver99

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I would like to thank all of you that has provided me guidance/information on scopes. I have narrowed the selection to Vortex Strike Eagle, PA ACSS, of Leupold Freedom. If there is another brand I have overlooked, please let me know. Now the hard part what model. Again, Thank You for your help

P4RET

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Today Midway USA came out with a 3-9x40 Vortex scope with BDC for range drop applications for 99 dollars with free shipping. Great price for a basic scope. Black Friday week sale@ 50% off.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom