• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Find myself in need of scope caps & ARD (Anti Reflective Device) for multiple rifles with differing purposes. 1) CRF Hunting bolt action with 2-10 x 36 Weaver Tact, ARD not really required but see through (Blizzard) probably desired, yet it will need a pair of caps. 2) AR 3-15 x 50 Weaver Tact with Blizzard Caps needs ARD. 3) Mini-30 with 2-10 x 32 Vortex Viper needs caps & ARD. 4) .308 bolt action carbine has ARD and Butler Creek caps on 2-10 Weaver Tact, but since it's also purposed as a hunter should I get Blizzard see through caps instead of the Butler Creek solids? Since I don't have scope covers for protection on any of my rifles equipped with day scopes should I even bother? Do Y'all use ARD with caps or just a sunshade without caps? I've numbered them so that folks can provide input as to what/which products and why since there are multiple sizes and purposes. Thanks for your knowledge, experience, and opinions. What would Y'all do???

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I like see thrus. They're nice. But they also reflect. If you want non reflection, and are buying scope caps anyways... you can also just drill a small peep hole in them. Works good and is alot cheaper than buying specialty stuff.
    Main reason I like see thru tho is on my red dots so during the summer if I step outside at night with a cold gun from the A/C being on, if it fogs up I can pop them open real quick and take the shot needed, if I'm fast that is lol.
    As far as actual scopes tho I've gave some thought about how to help prevent this same problem. A clear lense would work also but yeah it's not ideal for night use because of it will glare when hit with lights etc.
    So... back to my idea about the holes in plain black caps. Those should trap enough air inside to keep it the same temp as the whole scope. Therefore it shouldn't fog up, as fast at least.
    Myself I've not tried the peephole yet. Been meaning too tho. I've seen snipers and stuff do it to even thier binos and it seems to work great. You can even use camo tape on them too. So yeah I'm gonna try that and see how it works some day soon.
    Maybe this can work with you, keep stuff simple and save some major money all at once. Good luck

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like see thrus. They're nice. But they also reflect. If you want non reflection, and are buying scope caps anyways... you can also just drill a small peep hole in them. Works good and is alot cheaper than buying specialty stuff.
    Main reason I like see thru tho is on my red dots so during the summer if I step outside at night with a cold gun from the A/C being on, if it fogs up I can pop them open real quick and take the shot needed, if I'm fast that is lol.
    As far as actual scopes tho I've gave some thought about how to help prevent this same problem. A clear lense would work also but yeah it's not ideal for night use because of it will glare when hit with lights etc.
    So... back to my idea about the holes in plain black caps. Those should trap enough air inside to keep it the same temp as the whole scope. Therefore it shouldn't fog up, as fast at least.
    Myself I've not tried the peephole yet. Been meaning too tho. I've seen snipers and stuff do it to even thier binos and it seems to work great. You can even use camo tape on them too. So yeah I'm gonna try that and see how it works some day soon.
    Maybe this can work with you, keep stuff simple and save some major money all at once. Good luck
    KISS, there is only one species able to comprehend scope flash. It's the same species that comprehends sounds other than river noise, and has a hard time smelling anything. In the dark use NVS, leave your firearms in the mudroom, shed, or barn so that they are acclimated to the conditions. The concept of a see thru cap is that you may not have the time required to flip your caps if the game is closer than your preconceived stalk. We may be able to step through each of these concepts slowly, but you did skip a lot of concept & reality. Slow that roll young man. How many dollars are you worth, and how desperate a situation do you find yourself in? PPPPlaning on your part is not an EMERGENCY on mine. Take a breath and let's go a step at a time before we jump off the cliff like lemmings. JMHO. I'd converse about red dots, magnifiers, and actual vs theoretical, but I have no idea of what Catagory to post such concepts on. But the reason you select a 600 yard 2 MOA firearm is not to couple it with a 3MOA sighting system. 300 yards is the kill box, sitting outside the kill box requires a different logic. Let's say your target has a kill zone of twelve inches, and you have a 3 MOA sighting system. Did you have a better chance of missing that 12 inches with an 18 inch at best sighting system? We can skip the mechanical precision of the firearm, if your best guess at where it's headed is 1 1/2 times larger than the max kill zone, it ain't win win. Rant ended. REALITY, what a concept.

Last edited:

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Not sure what you thought I implied.
    But yes I do know how to acclimate items. I won't however leave them outside, unlocked and unprotected tho myself. Maybe a locked truck at most
    Anyways. Not sure what the rushing talk is about. Just saying theres cheap ways too. Actual snipers use this method btw. It's the most "KISS" possible that I can actually think of tbh. But yeah seems like you already know what you want. I'll leave you to it.
    Have a good one

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure what you thought I implied.
    But yes I do know how to acclimate items. I won't however leave them outside, unlocked and unprotected tho myself. Maybe a locked truck at most
    Anyways. Not sure what the rushing talk is about. Just saying theres cheap ways too. Actual snipers use this method btw. It's the most "KISS" possible that I can actually think of tbh. But yeah seems like you already know what you want. I'll leave you to it.
    Have a good one
    When we converse and you say actual Snipers use this, under what conditions do those actual Snipers really use those Government Couldn't afford to outfit me better situations. Did their GI gear fail afield? Or did they fail to outfit themselves properly for the initial task? Now in my day the Navy didn't recognize Secondary USMC MOS's like 8541, but the schooling to earn such an MOS may have been a prerequisite course to other studies. So Please forgive me if "REAL SNIPERS" that you have read or talked to have used such tactics, without a description of under what field conditions they used them. But to initially equip yourself in such an emergency condition is a pre-planned failure at best. JMHO but I'm a SQUID, what could I know about such things??? So let's skip the "Actual Real Sniper" BS unless we trade Hogs Teeth, Okay. WINK!

Last edited:

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Tenebraex is the manufacturer for most ARD’s. They make versions for many different scopes, but the msrp is pretty pricy. eBay is a good place to look ARD’s, I usually just search “Tenebraex” and filter by price, and hope to find a great deal on the size I need. I like the option of ARD’s, but if I’m not in a situation that requires them, I’m likely to remove them since it cuts down on the light gathering of my scope. Leupold also made some ARD’s that were built into slip on flip caps that look suspiciously like Butler Creek caps, but are marked Leupold. I’m guessing they were made for military contract Mark 4’s back in the day.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unless your scope is prethreaded for a Mil-spec variant, your ARD will need to slip into your scope cap. Now a sunshade assists with bright light conditions, while an ARD attempts to mask scope flash. They are distinctly different goals, yet they have a slight overlap in purpose. Thus the remark that a twilight hunting scope may not require ARD, but a see through set of caps for instantaneous reaction afield may be advantageous. BZ. Yet if your hunting game that comprehends scope flash, perhaps it's best to deliver your round on target and on time before you can be struck by a projectile from a projectile weapon? JMHO. And this is all just a function of a day scope cap & ARD? How exciting!!!

Last edited:

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    When we converse and you say actual Snipers use this, under what conditions do those actual Snipers really use those Government Couldn't afford to outfit me better situations. Did their GI Issue gear fail afield? Or did they fail to outfit themselves properly for the initial task? Now in my day the Navy didn't recognize Secondary USMC MOS's like 8541, but the schooling to earn such an MOS may have been a prerequisite course to other studies. So Please forgive me if "REAL SNIPERS" that you have read or talked to have used such tactics, without a description of under what field conditions they used them. But to initially equip yourself in such an emergency condition is a pre-planned failure at best. JMHO but I'm a SQUID, what could I know about such things??? So let's skip the "Actual Real Sniper" BS unless we trade Hogs Teeth, Okay. WINK!
    I'd love to larp. But it's late. Just go ask the other snipers why they do that. Or go ask this one. You two can trade hogstooth stories and pretend it's a secret code that only the true bestest of snipers know... together, "wink, wink". He's made millions with his books he sells talking about his hogsteeth, but can't hit jack

So please excuse me when I don't take half the crap these types spew seriously as they take themselves.
    I just suggested a hole in a cap as a fix that may save ya money. Im not sure what is even going on now
    I clearly hit a nerve by mistake. I was genuinely trying to help and didn't mean to offend you in any way. I do hope you find the right professional gear for all the sniper night ops you have soon.
    As I said tho I'm leaving you to it. That means leave me out of it also please.
    Thanks

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now a scope cap provides protection to attempt to keep the lens from being scratched afield. Once the scope cap allows forgiven objects to reach the lens it's not much use, So if you require anti reflective use it's prudent to set up the firearm in a sustainable manner prior to becoming dependent on it's use. JMHO. Broken scope caps don't do much good. I've used Butler Creek but find that they get brittle after a couple of years, how do the Vortex caps perform?

Top Bottom