• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sawman will fill in the details, but right above the rifle's buttstock you will see a dark spot on the neck. That's where the bullet hit. Great shot...DRT. Where I was, I only saw about 20 deer and 5 rabbits.

3499DE26-286C-44F0-813D-0721B7E5E05C.jpeg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And there I was . . . and this is no shit . . .
    Parked the buggy watching into the wind at about 2130. From this position I could see multiple fields. To the back of one is about 900yds. The total acreage is about 200A.
    Many deer were feeding on the volunteer peanuts and in the newly disced parts of the field. They like the minerals and salts that have been turned up + the tender roots on the new vegitation.
    At about 2300 I picked up the first sounder of hogs. They came out into the far field at about 750yds. Then more and more and . . .
    I headed towards them down a narrow roadway between the fields. The wind was in my face and no moon yet. When I came from around a tall brush row I stopped to count the hogs. There were . . . ?? . . . more than enough for a football team.
    I put my gun up on the gunners strap at eye level and proceeded towards them. I had to adjust my position in the field a couple of times so that I would not be shooting towards a farm house that was on the adjacent property. I finally got lined up to intercept their route of feeding. It took me awhile to cover the last 200yds,stop and look,then move at less than walking speed (for quietness).
    When I got to within 100-120yds or so. I stopped,adjusted my strap for the last time,picked a "good sized" one,that looked to be the leed sow,aimed for the CNS,and sent one.
    Ended up being a boar and he went right down. Not even any kicking. The rest hauled ass out of the field while I watched the downed hog for any movement.
    The bullet entered just back from the junction of the head/neck. On the spine. Like turning off a light switch.
    The boar weighed about 160-180lbs. All black,extremely clean and healthy.
    18" Bison Armory AR . . 6.8SPCII . . 85gr Barnes TSX @ 3080fps. . . ATN thermal --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hey Bob,knocked on your door at 0130 this morning. Had him in the back of my truck. I saw the front blinds slowly part and someone peeked out.
    Then nothing . . so I dropped him off on the steps of that Mosque in downtown Pace.
    You loose !! --- SAWMAN

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nice shot. Do you generly only get 1 hog at a time or sometimes a double , triple? Once the sounder flees will it come back to the field in awhile or is it over for the night?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good questions sir. My opinion,from many years of hunting,studying,reading,and going to hog seminars,put on by college, state,and federal,feral hog biologists,is this.
    A sounder is out in a field (or elsewhere) feeding peacefully. You approach. The wind is in your favor and not swirling. The hogs also do not see you OR hear you.
    You shoot once . . . BANG !! . . . the sound,the flash,a hog drops,without squeeling or thrashing about. What is the difference between than and a bolt of lightening and the associated clap of thunder ?? You stay quiet and in place. Will they,could they come back ?? A good chance is - - -> MAYBE.
    Problem is,you got a hog down. At some point you gotta deal with it. Like in my situation last night. Gotta cut the bottom jaw,get out and hook up my tow rope. Lights,sound,now the wind might not be in my favor. So . . . if the hogs see,hear,or ESPECIALLY smell anything,instead of standing just inside the woods and waiting,they're gone.
    I have killed multiple hogs by waiting. But this was in a shooting house and the hogs were 200+ yds away. And I had planned to stay all night anyway. (AND . . I was much younger.)
    Now . . when you see as many hogs as I did last night,you could walk stalk up on them if it was dark and the wind was in your favor. ( Bruce and I have done just that.) Then use a simi auto shotgun shooting #4buck. But the problem with that is targeting without thermal or NV. We have got within 20-30yds of a sounder. If your job is to eradicate and you could accurately target,you could slay quite a few. My Benelli M1 Super90 holds 8 shots of 3" mag. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I've gotten 1 double and 1 triple for positive sure as they are dead right in front of me. Now based upon the farmer/rancher finding a dead hog the next day or so 50 or so yards away from the dead ones I knew of, I've probably gotten 3 doubles and 1 quadruple. Problem in our area of Florida is that they often don't have far to run to be back into the brush/woods/swamp/jungle. One doesn't know where to look or even if to look, and thermal can't see through things. Now if you count the danger of a wounded hog in the dark, I normally do not go far into the thick areas I can't see far into (I do some looking though). When I started out it would be take one very good shot and see; I often carried a bolt action rifle. Now I 100% carry an AR with many rounds in the mag and do not hesitate (if safe) to take other shots after the carefully aimed first shot. If I find a wounded one, I will likely dump more shots into it quickly to take no chances. The other night, finding one that Chaps wounded, I quickly put 3 shots anywhere I could into the body to stop it...poor Chaps thought I was being attacked in the dark.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ya"ll . . . "need more gun". ----> 300BLK <--- BWAAAAHAHAHAHA !! That 380 would likely be better. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good job, sounds like a fun night.

The hogs I hunt are so relaxed and stupid, multiple kills are common place, as evidenced by some of my photos.

I've actually wiped out a group of five at one time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom