• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This is a review of my new savage MK II FV in .22LR. I got this one because my son claimed the MKII BSEV I recently got as his.

The MK II FV is one of Savage’s base guns in the MK II series. The FV originally came in a synthetic black stock which is functional but lacked the sleek look I like in .22lr rifles. I bought a Boyds Spike Camp stock with trigger guard and bottom metal as the synthetic stock’s trigger guard was molded into the stock and the bottom metal was not compatible with wooden stocks. It is bolt action, magazine fed like my son’s BSEV but the 21” bull barrel and receiver are plain blued, not stainless. As with my son’s BSEV it comes with a 5-round magazine and I bought a spare 10-round magazine. I bought another Barska 6-24X44 scope since I’ve had good luck with these in the past. The accutrigger on these guns is phenomenal. My trigger gauge read 1lb 4oz for a 5 pull average with no adjustment. I don’t know if I just lucked out twice (my son’s BSEV was 1lb 7oz) or if this is normal on these rifles.

I found out the problem of stuck cases (failure to eject) only happened with Aguila ammo. Even some old Remington bulk ammo was flawless. Aguila is good ammo in autoloaders, so I will only use it in my S&W Victory .22.

The accuracy of this gun is excellent. I’ve only shot it at 25 yards, so both targets are at that range, off of the bench, with a bipod. The top target was when I first put the Boyd’s stock on it and realized the scope was too far forward. The reason—the synthetic stock had about ½” shorter length of pull than the Boyd’s stock. So the bottom target was a week later sighting in after moving the scope back and then final grouping test.

Top target top is Federal American Eagle 40gr LRN and bottom is Remington Golden Bullet 36gr plated hollow point.

Bottom target middle is my first sight-in attempt (6 rounds left of center). Bottom left is my second attempt at sight-in and bottom right is the third attempt. Back to the middle center was first grouping test—10 rounds. All ammo used to this point was some old Remington bulk I’ve had for years. I don’t know the grain weight, but they are plated hollow point. The top two groups are also 10 rounds each of Federal American Eagle 40gr LRN.

I hope next range trip to try at 50 yards and eventually at 100 yards (that’s why all of my groups are about 1¼” high).

Garry

Garry's Savage MKII L.JPG
    Garry's Savage MKII R.JPG

DSC00395.JPG

DSC00394.JPG

Top Bottom