• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This is a short review of my (or rather my son's) new savage MK II BSEV in .22LR. I say it's my son's because after his first 10 rounds after sight-in he claimed "My gun." After seeing the groups he was getting, I agreed.

The MK II BSEV is one of Savage’s top of the line in the MK II series. The BSEV stands for Boyd Stock Evolution. It is bolt action, magazine fed and features a stainless 21” spiral fluted barrel, stainless receiver and a varmint style laminated wood stock. It comes with a 5-round magazine and I bought a spare 10-round magazine and plan on getting another. Both magazines worked flawlessly even though installing and removing them took a while to get used to. I topped it off with a Barska 6-24X44 scope I had from a previous rifle. We kept the magnification down to around 12 since we were only shooting at 25 yards. The accutrigger on this gun is phenomenal. My trigger gauge read 1.45 lbs for a 5 pull average and that was without having to adjust it.

The only problem we had with it was after about 120-140 rounds, every now and again a case would fail to extract. We came to the conclusion that, since it has a match chamber, it was dirty and needed to be swabbed. Since I did't have any cleaning supplies with me, we called it a day after 4 stuck cases.

The accuracy of this gun is excellent. Since it was windy today, we kept it to 25 yards. The right target is my son’s (all 10 shot groups) and the left is mine (all 5 shot groups). The ammunition is a mix of Aguila and Federal Auto-Match. Both had the same accuracy and POI. The flyer on the right between the top and bottom target was from my son not being used to such a light trigger.

I am very happy with this gun and my son has promised to let me keep on shooting it since I supply all of the ammo.

Garry

Savage MKII L.JPG

Savage MKII R.JPG

MKII Target.JPG

Top Bottom