• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am looking to get a smaller bolt action firearm for hunting. Most of the spots I favor are 100yds or less and a long walk. Want something small and light weight. I am considering the 110 PCS and adding a pistol brace to it and scope of course. Does anyone currently have one? I think I am going to go with the 308 or or 300blk.

I currently shoot 300blk in other platforms and do not have a 308. Using this for deer hunting, is 300blk sufficient for within 100yds? Or should I step it up to the 308? Both are threaded and a suppressor is the goal down the line.

Opinions?

I know this is a pistol but it is a bolt action and I felt it fit here best in this thread category.
    IMG_7675.png
    IMG_7676.png

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    While I'm not up to date with all the lawsuits and rulings on using a pistol brace, I do have a Savage 110 PCS in 300 Blackout. See: https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/t...-300-blackout-upper.100570/page-3#post-857317

Since we both are Milton, you are free to come over and look/handle/cycle the action on mine. While I can't bring guests to my neighbor's range for longer range accuracy shooting, you are welcome to shoot mine with full power hunting type loads (I'll supply them) in my yard, with and w/o a suppressor attached. That way you can get a good idea of the recoil (recoil is nothing to be concerned about).

Having killed multiple deer and hogs with 10.5" or shorter 300 Blackout barrels, I can assure you the Blackout will do the job at 100yd or less from a 10.5" barrel, provided good bullet expansion. I prefer the Barnes 110gr blacktip bullets, but the Nosler 125gr ballistic tip work fine too. On deer expect complete pass through on side shots. On sows expect complete pass through on side shots. On boars over 150 pounds expect the Barnes to penetrate about 2" more than the Noslers on side shots. If shooting more than 150yd, I prefer a 16" bbl for more velocity. On coyotes, the Noslers don't expand, but the Barnes do (just not enough meat to properly expand a deer type hunting bullet like the Noslers).

Let me know, and we'll take further conversations off line via PM's.

PS. It's a fun shooting and accurate pistol. Took a little bit to get used to cycling a bolt with my left hand. Been shooting mine off a bench rest and clanging steel with it, just having fun. Got in my extra mags made by MDT and they function fine. In fact, Savage emailed me to get extra mags from MDT, as MDT made the mags for Savage.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey thanks for the offer! I might take you up on that.

I have an 8.5in ar pistol in 300blk and have it sited in with some 150gr winchester deer season rounds. Haven’t knocked one over with it yet but glad to see that it has enough power. Realistically most of my shots are within 50yds and on the ground. Loading the AR is just a little louder than I want to be doing while hunting and I want something besides my 270

I’m still racking my mind on the pistol aspect too with the brace rules. I’d hate to put this together and not me able to freely use it.

Top Bottom