• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I would ask you, how many guns (Long Guns, handguns,etc) and maybe ammo are you planning on putting in there? Do you intend to put valuables (legal papers, family heir looms, money, gold, etc.) then look at the fire rating. Don't get hung up in the word "Fire Proof" or" Fire Resistant"....look at the details of how long it will resist the highest temperatures. Once you figure that out, then you can start shopping around. Then you will need to figure out where you will be placing the safe, that should be taken into consideration. If you are going to put it in the garage vs. putting it in the house. Most garages will fluctuate in humidity and temperature while the house may not fluctuate that much. When you figure what part of the house will house your safe, look at the actual area (is there a good mounting surface for it, will you need to drill into the wall and or the floor to secure it).

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't waste money on a "Key locking" storage locker. Stay away from electronic upgrades including keypad entry. High fire rating cost substantially more. You can probably get much better "value" for your dollar buying a used gun safe, people upgrade or downsize them just like everything else. It will take more time to access the back of the tumbler, than to change the combination. I prefer S&G tumblers, internal door hinges, thicker door and door frame steel and multiple locking lugs on each side.

I haven't shopped around for a safe in a long time so I can't give you a recommendation within your price range. Estate Sales/auctions where firearms are listed may have a Safe or two listed in the back.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I paid about that for my 23 gun Winchester at tractor supply which is a BEAST ! It has 11 1 1/4 stainless bolts that secure the door, has a fire rating of 1400 for 30 min and weighs 500 lbs empty. But long guns fill it up fast, it is realistically a 10-15 gun safe, 23 would never fit ! So buy the biggest you can afford

Jkelly1229

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't waste money on a "Key locking" storage locker. Stay away from electronic upgrades including keypad entry. High fire rating cost substantially more. You can probably get much better "value" for your dollar buying a used gun safe, people upgrade or downsize them just like everything else. It will take more time to access the back of the tumbler, than to change the combination. I prefer S&G tumblers, internal door hinges, thicker door and door frame steel and multiple locking lugs on each side.

I haven't shopped around for a safe in a long time so I can't give you a recommendation within your price range. Estate Sales/auctions where firearms are listed may have a Safe or two listed in the back.
    If you buy used check how much to get it moved that cost can screw you pretty quick

Latest posts

Top Bottom