• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With just about every firearm set up to accept a picatinny rail nowadays, I'm noticed that the Ruger Dovetail system is more of a hindrance than a help. Tried to mount a few featherweight USO 3x12 30mm tubes, but the span on Standard & Short Action Ruger Bolt Actions is to long for current production scopes. Not to mention that if your Ruger comes from the Factory with Express Iron sights your going to be limited as to the length and bell diameter of current conventional glass. Anyone else had these complications with the Ruger Mounting System. I've noticed the New Hawkeyes have a 20 MOA rail that bolts on to the dovetails, but I've yet to be able to figure out how to order it on the buy ruger firearms accessory page. Mounting glass on AR's & Rem Bolts is s just so much less frustrating. What say Y'all?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mounting glass on AR's & Rem Bolts is s just so much less frustrating. What say Y'all?
    Agree. But I've always preferred iron sights on my Minis because that's one of the salient features versus an AR... close range accuracy with the sights right on the Mini barrel, for utilitarian duties

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agree. But I've always preferred iron sights on my Minis because that's one of the salient features versus an AR... close range accuracy with the sights right on the Mini barrel, for utilitarian duties
    My Mini-30 (580) has the peep mounted as far aft as possible. But Ruger offers a rail mount on the buy ruger firearms accessory page that bolts on to the mini dovetails. Unfortunately it's blocks the rear iron sight plane, so you still lose the irons even with quick detach rings or mount base. I forgot what maker has QD rings that bolt on to Rugers Dovetails? It's even worse on the Scout Rifle, if you want to mount a LPVO you have to remove the rear iron sight as it's just attached to the rear dovetail. Think I'm going to order a couple of low cost rail mounted flip up BUIS and determine which one will work with the factory front iron from the Scout mount rail so that I can mount better glass. Why are they making it so difficult to have a traditional hunting rifle equipped with functional irons and quality glass mounted with QD rings. It's like you need to sell your first born to get the hunting functionality that came standard in 1960 America. Is the profit margin really that slim? Perhaps a few more iconic firearms makers need to go belly up, before actual hunting firearms become commonplace on the market? Guess we owe these inconveniences to the 5.56 Zombie Killers tossing every penny toward Real Military look alike firearms that can't harvest table game beyond a 100 yards ethically?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom