• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    The M160 frangibles made of compressed Bakelite and lead powder certainly are more fragile. I inside chamfer all brass regardless of cartridge that I load them in. Even then there can be a little shaving off. It causes no problems. I’ve shot 10’s of thousands of them In various cartridges.
    I had some Redding dies that I supposedly didn't need to lube the inside of the case mouth for, you know of anyone else that makes dies that may have a replacement decapping rod made of (forget the material) that doesn't need lube?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    You’re thinking of the replacement decapping/expander rods that have a ring of tungsten carbide in them. Offhand I don’t recall the makers of them. FWIW, the only cases that I inside lube the neck are .308 Winchester/ 7.62x51 or brand new rifle brass that doesn’t have any firing residue in it to act as a lubricant. Of course, your mileage can vary! I do not do the SS pin wet thumbing that removes all residue, but for some reason my .308 brass needs inside lube or they are hard to pull out from my sizing die.

Did you still want to trade powder? I’d still like to test 100 of those large rifle primers with Cast bullets.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    On fired cases before FL sizing and dragging the expander ball through the neck that sometimes sounds like two cats fornicating I either use a bore brush and scrub the burnt powder out of the neck , or I use a pill bottle full of BB's coated with HbN to lube the inside of the case necks.
    I'll look tomorrow to see if I still have my 30-39 dies and any .312 cast bullets , unless you are opposed to shooting free cast bullets through you barrel

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    On fired cases before FL sizing and dragging the expander ball through the neck that sometimes sounds like two cats fornicating I either use a bore brush and scrub the burnt powder out of the neck , or I use a pill bottle full of BB's coated with HbN to lube the inside of the case necks.
    I'll look tomorrow to see if I still have my 30-39 dies and any .312 cast bullets , unless you are opposed to shooting free cast bullets through you barrel
    Doesn't bother me. I've been running a bore brush through my brass then running them in an ultrasonic cleaner. Seems to get them pretty good and clean inside.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I need to get the AR mag conversion for mine. The ruger mini30 mags are a bit "hitchy". Seems like if you dont drive the bolt with authority it acts up.
    20211118_100516.jpg

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Center to center, right at 1.2"
    Can't complain for the junk ammo I have. Few bugger groups, but non over about 1.4"
    Several hung right at 1"

Less than 50 rounds through it total. Interested in seeing what it does after it gets a few hundred

Attachments

• 20221025_092010.jpg
      20221025_092010.jpg
      372 KB · Views: 35

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mine will shoot like that with any load so far. Tula, Wolf, S&B and my hand loads. Different points of impact of course but the groups are the same. Hard to find a gun that will do that in any caliber with so many different loads.

Last edited:

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mine will shoot like that with any load so far. Tula, Wolf, S&B and my hand loads. Different points if impact of course but the groups are the same. Hard to find a gun that will do that in any caliber with so many different loads.
    Norma brass cased stuff shot pretty well, but had a few too many fliers for me to like it

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mine will shoot like that with any load so far. Tula, Wolf, S&B and my hand loads. Different points of impact of course but the groups are the same. Hard to find a gun that will do that in any caliber with so many different loads.
    Yep. The RARR in x39 is a good shooter. 350 legend is good too.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    So ya ended up not liking the x39? Why?? ( saw if for sale)
    Have some friends going to 300 blackout, and that is much easier/more options for reloading.
    Definitely like it, but since I got one in 300 blackout, haven't touched it. Getting roughly identical velocities with similar bullet weights (believe that or not)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Have some friends going to 300 blackout, and that is much easier/more options for reloading.
    Definitely like it, but since I got one in 300 blackout, haven't touched it. Getting roughly identical velocities with similar bullet weights (believe that or not)
    Ok. Makes sense. Any info on the 123 sst? Speed etc? Load?

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Ok. Makes sense. Any info on the 123 sst? Speed etc?
    Accurate 1680
    26.3 grains (if I remember correctly)

2250ish feet per second. I got to just over 2300, but accuracy was crap

Don't think i ever went over 26.9 grains.

2.200" overall length

Hornady data was way weak. Hodgdon starts I believe over hornadys max. Started a little over halfway with hornadys data, and it was way too little.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Accurate 1680
    26.3 grains (if I remember correctly)

2250ish feet per second. I got to just over 2300, but accuracy was crap

Don't think i ever went over 26.9 grains.

2.200" overall length

Hornady data was way weak. Hodgdon starts I believe over hornadys max. Started a little over halfway with hornadys data, and it was way too little.
    Hodgdons max was 27.3 grains of 1680 I think. I wouldn't start anywhere near that

Top Bottom