• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mounted a thermal sight on my new Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 Blackout and sighted it in (on at 55yd). The fields where we hunt hogs are being plowed, and I wanted to know what effect that was having. Just as I walked into the area (about 7:30pm) a motor started up. It was an air compressor being used to clean off the bulldozer (and operator) that was parked near where I had wanted to sit watching a particular field. The dozer operator acted like it was the most natural sight in the world to see a stranger with a rifle walking up to him. He was employed by the farmer to level some areas in the field where water runoff and hogs had messed up the fields and to plow. We talked about about wild hogs (the guy hated them), and then he suggested I use the dozer as an elevated stand to sit on. He said hogs are used to seeing farm equipment and have even rubbed against the dozer before; it will not bother them. Showed me the hand and foot holds and how to climb up on the dozer. Had me sit in its seat and scan the area and said if I need the dozer moved for a better view he'll do that. Sitting in the dozer elevated me several feet higher than sitting on my folding chair that I bring with me, giving me a very nice view of the area. Nice comfortable seat in that thing BTW, and I could prop my feet up. I said I'll have to go back and move my car, as I have the entrance to the area blocked. He said don't worry, as he'll leave another way. What a nice person, just like the farmer is. I demonstrated the thermal and how we can easily see even farm equipment so we don't shoot in the direction of equipment.

9 deer came into the field I wanted to watch and ate on the plowed up peanuts. About every 20 or so minutes I'd get out of the seat and turn around to scan the field behind me. The last time I stood up and turned around there were 2 hogs coming towards the dozer, so I waited. They got within shooting distance, but then turned around and began walking away. I got down to stalk, but they were moving faster than me, so hoping they'd turn and to prevent them from getting in my scent pattern, I began to cut diagonally across the field. Luckily for me, after while they turned 90 degrees and began walking, eating in the general direction I had been going. When they got directly north of me (wind was blowing from SW), although a bit farther than I wanted to get from them to shoot, I aimed for the shoulder of one when it stopped moving at about 80 or so yards and fired. It appeared hit and dropped after running about 20 yards. The other one (same size) ran about 20 yards east and then came back right to the downed one and stopped broadside to me. I could have shot it too, but one is enough for me to clean at a time, so I let it go. It left going north, but at a piggy trot, not a full out run. The sound of me working the bolt to chamber another round didn't seem to bother it much, as it came back to the downed hog.

Luckily Chaps was sorta awake and came with his ATV to pick me and the hog up and take both of us to my car when I called him. Estimated weight was 140. Actual weight was 142. Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip through right shoulder, scrambled lungs and top of heart, through left shoulder and stopped in pieces under the left shield. Typical of that bullet, it usually doesn't exit a boar if it has to go through shields on both sides.

Well, that answered my question...the plowed up peanut field didn't bother the hogs and deer. My daughter in law wants a shoulder to make pulled pork in her crock pot, so I'll take one to her. At one time, something bit off the hog's tail. As usual, lots of fat on this hog too.

IMG_7924.jpg DSCN2822.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7924.jpg
      IMG_7924.jpg
      214.8 KB · Views: 127
    • DSCN2822.JPG
      DSCN2822.JPG
      167.8 KB · Views: 124
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,I was having a "discussion" on another forum re. the use of a 300BLK for hogs and deer. He stated that there are better choices like the 6.8 and the 308Win. I say ........ well ....... no shit. There is always a gun that will do it better.

Guiding black bear hunters over the blueberry fields in Maine I really hated to see a sport show up to camp with a 308Win. Will it kill a 300lb black bear ... SURE ... are there better guns for that purpose ... absolutely.

IMO when using a 300BLK for deer and hogs,several things have to take place/come together. 1. the bullets design and make-up have to be great. 2. the bullet has to be moving pretty much as fast as possible 3. the bullet has to be of "adequate" weight 4. the bullet has to be placed in the correct spot on the animal 5. the animal has to be positioned(turned) correctly.

The bullet should be of the <131gr weight. This ... for speed. It also should be of the Barnes TSX or TTSX design. A NosPart would be great however none available. If any other bullet is used it should open very quickly and at the slower speeds. A bullet of the Accubond design or of the newer designed NosBalTips(hunting)would "do",however they would not be my first choice.

Most any .308" "varmint" bullet will be adequate at the 300BLK speeds. However they would be one of my last choices. My RARR loves the factory Barnes 110gr TAC-X loading. This one bullet has the absolute reputation for clean quick kills on both deer and hogs. I consider myself extremely lucky.

I really hate to hear the "blanket" statement of ..... "The 300BLK is not good for hogs or deer". It simply is not true. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom