• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensacola Joe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    “Let me know how that .44special cycles your Ruger Carbine. It's not a lever action. LOL. Sounds more Yahwist to me.”

Now to acknowledge what I assume M118LR is referring to about cycling, it will depend on which model carbine you have. ruger made at least two model carbines that are very similar but not the same. the model 44has an internal tube magazine and the other the model 99/44 has a rotary magazine like a 10/22.
    my ruger carbine is a model 44 with the internal tube mag and I have never had a single issue with cycling.
    I can not speak for the model with the rotary mag as I do not own one.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also I have no idea what yahwist is?
    Perhaps it is time to study the White gas system. That is why the M-14 is inherently more accurate than the M1. It is also why DI AR's are inherently more accurate than piston driven AR's. Op rods generate recoil impulses that directly affect operator and therefore overall system accuracy. As to what you have no idea about, I d suggest a little google session. It may be enlightening. Bet you have a better understanding when you complete that task. LOL.

Pensacola Joe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Again, no idea how something biblical relating to ancient Israel and monotheism vs polytheism applies to me?
    is this some type of antisemitism comment You are making?
    please elaborate as I have no idea what exactly you are trying to convey?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Again, no idea how something biblical relating to ancient Israel and monotheism vs polytheism applies to me?
    is this some type of antisemitism comment You are making?
    please elaborate as I have no idea what exactly you are trying to convey?
    Research first, question later. Then we can have an enlightened conversation. As Spock said to Bones, we need a common reference. But that's a Star Trek thing and may also require a little research. JMHO. https://joymachine.typepad.com/nort...s-can-teach-us-about-the-the-digital-age.html We can rehash this once you have researched the subjects. PCC isn't that the Parochial Church Council?

Last edited:

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    @Rebel_Rider1969
    first, great choice In a carbine! So much fun. My recommendations for you are as follows. I rarely if ever shoot 44mag ammo. I prefer 44 special. Less recoil and easier on my old body. I also use 44spc in my super Blackhawk. With the 44special ammo I use 200gr cast with gas checks. The younger more hip reloaders are powder coating their cast now to eliminate the need for gas checks.
    anyway using 44 special brass you should be able to load and shoot any weight bullet you choose with no additional stress or damage to carbine. The carbine is designed for mag ammo but I have never had any issue using 44 special including chamber throat erosion. This carbine will provide you and your offspring and their offspring many many years of pleasurable shooting. If you need any load data or other info please feel free to contact me.
    thanks
    joe
    I have had 3 44 ruger carbines I have never had one that would function with 44 special it was not hot enough to cycle the action.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I had a 96/44 which is the lever action version which used the same magazine. I never used optics on it. It was my hog gun for years. It was very soft shooting with .44 specials. I used mostly factory 240 gr JSP for hunting. Enjoy!

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    This is what my step-dad carried when we'd hunt backhome. In Maine woods it was damned handy. From doing research the biggest issue wasn't the 240gr bullets but folks trying to hotrod outside the pressure curve that the gas system is set up for. It's kind of a limited range for it to run correctly. Also lead and it's gas system are no Bueno.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing. Missed one at the gunshow last year for $400 even had western holster with it, duh. Looped back around and it was gone! Ignored that gut feeling... double duh.
    I wouldn't have been able to get my wallet out quick nuff had I seen that.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    This is what my step-dad carried when we'd hunt backhome. In Maine woods it was damned handy. From doing research the biggest issue wasn't the 240gr bullets but folks trying to hotrod outside the pressure curve that the gas system is set up for. It's kind of a limited range for it to run correctly. Also lead and it's gas system are no Bueno.
    Got it, factory load and jacketed bullets. Tku.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Yep, had the $$ in my pocket, duh. Don't get me wrong it was wacked up and had some fuzzy spots on it, but for me would have been perfect.
    They clean up pretty and crazy enough can still find stocks for em on occasion if the woods beat. I'm still trying to find one where I don't have to Sell a kidney.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Got it, factory load and jacketed bullets. Tku.
    If you can find the wwb like they used to sell at Walmart was 240 gr jsp. My step-dads ran that perfect. I actually may have some of them put aside I'll look Tues. And also may have some reload data in one of my books or saved with source I'll send over if I can find it.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have the 99/44, 44 carbine, and a 96/44 all of them shoot Leverrevolutions really well with zero failures. Never tried 44Spl but now I’m gonna have to. I suspect the 96/44 will cycle it without issue…

also fellas can we please get back to this:

Attachments

• 6FAB9E1C-2C5C-4135-AB9F-695080DAAAFD.png
      6FAB9E1C-2C5C-4135-AB9F-695080DAAAFD.png
      30.2 KB · Views: 36
    Top Bottom