• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RCJPNS

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Ruger 10/22 that handles the standard 10-round magazines flawlessly. However, I have 4 of the 25-round Ruger magazines that all malfunction feeds 4 or 5 times. Does anyone else have this problem, how can I solve this issue. Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I had the same problem with the 25 round factory mags. Other non factory large capacity mag did the same thing. 10 rd mags worked ok.
    The 10/22 is a great .22 rifle, but the mag thing is the reason I sold it.

RCJPNS

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Jerry. I viewed four YouTube videos today showing a simple fix with a .22 case as a bushing for the follower plus some cleaning and lubricating tips . I did that to two of my four magazines and they tested fine per the vidios by loading and hand cycling the magazine with 25 rounds in the shop. I will test at the range. I appreciate your response. Too bad for Ruger not doing this at factory. Ten round magazines had no issues.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For me, it is very 10/22 specific. My 10/22 takedown HATES them, to the point I never used them. My older 10/22 does pretty well, as long as they are high velocity (never works with subs / standards & suppressor). So I have 3 that really never get used anymore. Lol

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I once fixed 10/22 that would not feed from large capacity magazines. Remember quality control and good workmanship is not a ruger attribute. Mine did not have the barrel properly aligned with the action. I loosened the appropriate bolt/screw and slide the barrel laterally just a hair or so and the gun functioned perfectly any magazine that could reliably push a round up to be chambered. Did this a long time ago in the 90's. Perhaps checking the alignment of the barrel might help.

RCJPNS

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did the modifications on all four 25-magazines today per YouTube and they all worked fine for hand cycling. Combined both videos to use the .22 bushing plus other video to smoothen and grease the glide tracks and so far hand cycled OK. Will post update when I test fire the magazines.
    Appreciate the comments.

RCJPNS

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Test fired all four magazines yesterday at range (8/13/2020). All four did MUCH better, but each one had at least one misfeed. They did OK for first 10-15 rounds, seems to be problem with the last 10 or so rounds.
    Before modifications, the magazines would misfeed about every third round and hang a spent casing in the chamber too. None of that happened this time. All I had to do was open the breach and dump the bullet out, nothing jammed in chamber this time. By the time I got through, the barrel was really hot (of course), maybe that created a slight misalignment in the chamber - just guessing. Also, seemed to do better after I reloaded them all and kept firing. Maybe they just need breaking in. I am going to take the magazines apart once more, smooth the metal a little more where the bullet slides out of the magazine and keep trying. I don't have any issues with the standard 10-round magazines and ordered three more.

If you have any more suggestions besides trashing the magazines (may end up doing that), I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks for your help.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    For me, it is very 10/22 specific. My 10/22 takedown HATES them, to the point I never used them. My older 10/22 does pretty well, as long as they are high velocity (never works with subs / standards & suppressor). So I have 3 that really never get used anymore. Lol
    My 10/22 I have for sale loves the factory hi caps too

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I reccomend using ONLY spray silicone to lube ALL plastic mags.
    All my MagPuls have been cleaned and lubed in this manner for years.
    This is another reason that I love MagPul. They come apart easy and go back together easy. I leave the follower on the spring for the lube/cleanup. Can do a mag in two minutes.
    My Glock mags take a little longer but are done in the same manner. If you do not have one,pick up a Glock mag disassembly tool. Definately gives incentive to CLEAN MORE
    OFTEN.
    Believe it or not,I have actually talked to people that have NEVER opened up the mags that they carry/use for SD/HD. WTF ??? ---- SAWMAN

RCJPNS

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought 6 standard 10-round mags just in case I can't get the high-cap to work right. Haven't been to range to test my recent clean-up of the mags. I will try the spray silicone lube suggestion from Sawman.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I'm not sure what Ruger does, and I'm no engineer, but it seems to me to be a spring issue.
    Certain weight springs works like a clock at 10rds(whatever the ammo weighs). You'd think there would be a formula to get a correct weight spring to push the weight of more ammo. Redneck math says it will work. Lol

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It’s a spring issue I took all 3 of my bx 25 round mags and left them fully loaded for a few weeks
    Had not one feed issue after that
    The only issue I had after was if I were shooting hollow points the flatter edge would hit and bend before chambering
    My suggestion is to not shoot hollow points lol and leave the mags full

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s a spring issue I took all 3 of my bx 25 round mags and left them fully loaded for a few weeks
    Had not one feed issue after that
    The only issue I had after was if I were shooting hollow points the flatter edge would hit and bend before chambering
    My suggestion is to not shoot hollow points lol and leave the mags full
    Thanks for the info, trying this never occurred to me. I have 2 of the 25 rounders that repeatedly failed right out of the box.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mine did as well the 10 round mags no
    Thanks for the info, trying this never occurred to me. I have 2 of the 25 rounders that repeatedly failed right out of the box.
    No problem The 10 round magazines fed anything I put in it after purchasing the 25 round mags I was highly disappointed they would only allow me proper feeds putting 15 rounds or less and then finally I decided to fill the mags and left them for weeks fully loaded had no feeding issues after I shot all mags out now if you look at the feed ramps (10-25) side by side you will see the more curved deeper feed ramp on the 25 mag
    That in its self is what’s wrong with the 25 round mags but the spring it’s self needs a break in point as well
    Even after the break in on the spring the hollow points still catch the feed ramp and bend before chambering
    Good luck hope it works for you I will still say they are worth the money nothing is perfect and there’s always a break in point
    I’ve had this issue with Pro mag magazines for some Springfield 9mms

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have a Ruger 10/22 that handles the standard 10-round magazines flawlessly. However, I have 4 of the 25-round Ruger magazines that all malfunction feeds 4 or 5 times. Does anyone else have this problem, how can I solve this issue. Thanks for your help.
    Describing the malfunction may help a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom