• M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Under 6 lbs.
    AICS mags
    Trigger tech trigger
    Guaranteed Sub moa

Didn't offer as much as the SS Ruger Scout, and it don't Pew-pew. M80 ammo isn't within the Sub MOA Guarantee. Especially when using the irons.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    How about a PTR91? Id say HK91 but they are well above the socom price. The PTR91 with prism optic and sling would be another option in my book

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about a PTR91? Id say HK91 but they are well above the socom price. The PTR91 with prism optic and sling would be another option in my book
    From what I gather on the specs page the 16 inch .308 x 51 runs 9.5 lbs and trigger pull is 9-10 lbs. At the price point I'm sure that there would be $$ to spend on a better trigger, but starting a pound heavier than the Springfield's? I'm not exactly sold on the prismatic optic for 2 MOA 300 yard shooting, but there may be other folks with differing opinions. I think I'd stick with the 2-7 Burris for a better sight picture, but it is a couple of ounces heavier than the prism. YMMV. Haven't researched what lightweight stocks are available or how much they could shave off that 9.5 lb starting weight? Since I've got Tried Old Eyes the difference between the National Match iron sights and those on the PT wouldn't make much difference to me. YMMV? Reading the write up the author warns of shaky quality control, so a hands on approach prior to purchase might be prudent? https://gununiversity.com/ptr-91-review/

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The SIG with a 16 inch barrel is heavier. But they are proven perfomers. The Steyr is interesting, but the hidden price point sounds like it may get uninteresting in a hurry. YMMV.
    Spear with a 12.5” barrel is 6.9 lbs, add a suppressor, and scope.

They are around 8.9 lbs for the 16 inch.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Spear with a 12.5” barrel is 6.9 lbs, add a suppressor, and scope.

They are around 8.9 lbs for the 16 inch.
    Originally scout rifles where to be capable to 500 yards and drop 1000 lb critters. I'd be a little concerned with 500 yard performance of M80 from a 12.5 inch barrel. My experience with sub 16 inch barrels is limited to 5.56 M193, and 500 yard 2 MOA was next to impossible. Do you have any targets with group size, or is there an article link that provides 12.5 inch group sizes? But yeah, 8.8 for the 18 inch Springfield and 8.9 for the 16 inch Spear. To plagiarize an Old commercial, I get a silly millimeter longer, lighter. Not to mention a much lower muzzle flash in the dark of night. But all things considered the two are going to be equals, except when you toss in feeding the M1A with stripper clips. The stripper clip feed on the current scout squad is still functional? I believe I've got an empty banderole for 60 rounds that needs repacking. Still have 8 twenty round Checkmates. But a standard load out is only 100 7.62 x 51 mm rounds. Wonder if there are any M-14 bandoliers with stripper clips still for sale reasonable? I haven't had a need for such equipment since all my M1A's have had Brookfield or CASM mounted Day Scopes for so long it's hard to recall. Yup, those stripper clips are a bit lighter than detachable mags. It would allow me to carry another canteen, cause water is a 3 day thing at most. Yet I've never heard of anyone starving to death on a 30 day op. So RAVEN should be happier? But I'm taking the secondary sidearm and tertiary blade on any Long Range Recon Patrol. But in civilian life it's easy to drop 20 lbs of gear off the FM 23-10 section 5 mission packing list in your ALICE. LOL. Guess I'm getting Old? LOL. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_reconnaissance_patrol

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What is Y'all's opinion of the cotton slings for use on the carbine versions of the M1A? NM Leather is fine on the range for rifle length & weight, but I've replaced leather with Turner Biothane afield. The cotton GI slings are lighter weight, but will they hold up to hastey use on the shorter lighter M1A Carbines?

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If you dont have to be period correct, then check out the blue force gear cas sling. Its pretty much all I use. That or the magpul ms4

Top Bottom