• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So round 1 of the Scout Rifle (Ruger Bolt Action Scout Rifle) was exceptionally lightweight, CRF with detachable mags, and has shims for LOP. Unfortunately the 16 inch 1:10 SS Barrel could only manage 2 MOA @ the 100 yard KD Range with Milsurplus ammo. Unfortunately I underestimated the Pew-pew factor in carbine length firearms. If 2MOA is expectation, Pew-pew is a must, and Pew-pew Piston driven is going to be heavier but more reliable afield. So currently I'm debating Springfield's Scout Squad or SOCOM 16. But they require a ($h!tcan) of modifications to field a lightweight Harris Bipod and a Tuner Bio Sling. Now the Ruger had a pillared lightweight synthetic stock, and Springfield offers a lightweight synthetic stock (not pillared) or walnut. I know Mac offers M1A/M-14 fiberglass stocks, yet they ain't lightweight.Since both the Scout Squad & SOCOM start at 8.8 lbs buck naked with the lightweight synthetic stock. Bottom line question, is either offering from Springfield worthy of a starting point for a SCOUT RIFLE? If so, how would you go about modifying it?

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Id say get the 16” socom and put a sling on it and either use just the irons or if you want an optic I would go for either a 3x or 5x prism sight. I really like the primary arms 3x microprism. It is just about perfect for 5.56 and .308. I hear they are making a 5x microprism but have not seen much on it yet.
    I would not worry with a bipod with that setup

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Id say get the 16” socom and put a sling on it and either use just the irons or if you want an optic I would go for either a 3x or 5x prism sight. I really like the primary arms 3x microprism. It is just about perfect for 5.56 and .308. I hear they are making a 5x microprism but have not seen much on it yet.
    I would not worry with a bipod with that setup
    I do have the Burris 2-7 Scout scope.from the first failed Scout Rifle Project. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100950969?pid=430740

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    So round 1 of the Scout Rifle (Ruger Bolt Action Scout Rifle) was exceptionally lightweight, CRF with detachable mags, and has shims for LOP. Unfortunately the 16 inch 1:10 SS Barrel could only manage 2 MOA @ the 100 yard KD Range with Milsurplus ammo. Unfortunately I underestimated the Pew-pew factor in carbine length firearms. If 2MOA is expectation, Pew-pew is a must, and Pew-pew Piston driven is going to be heavier but more reliable afield. So currently I'm debating Springfield's Scout Squad or SOCOM 16. But they require a ($h!tcan) of modifications to field a lightweight Harris Bipod and a Tuner Bio Sling. Now the Ruger had a pillared lightweight synthetic stock, and Springfield offers a lightweight synthetic stock (not pillared) or walnut. I know Mac offers M1A/M-14 fiberglass stocks, yet they ain't lightweight.Since both the Scout Squad & SOCOM start at 8.8 lbs buck naked with the lightweight synthetic stock. Bottom line question, is either offering from Springfield worthy of a starting point for a SCOUT RIFLE? If so, how would you go about modifying it?
    First and foremost I'd rather have a folding stock stainless steel Paratrooper FAL, given the sweat and salt water here. But not being able to have a folding stainless steel Paratrooper FAL I'd rather have the SOCOM 16. Absolutely need that lightweight short barrel for running around the woods, swamps and for CQB. We ain't running around the wide open plains of Europe here, so no need to take precision thousand yard shots with a cumbersome national match barrel. Definitely SOCOM 16 for the rails and synthetic stock.

The 308 MVP bolt action carbine that takes AR10 and M14/M1A mags is a great compromise too, for the mag compatibility, and its a quarter the cost of a SOCOM 16. I bought my MVP used here, and after accounting for the value of the scope and gas to meet up for it, I got this MVP for like $400. Good deal :) this is my second MVP. Over the years I've owned several AR10's, a C308, several FN49's, a dozen 308 Mausers and an FAL. The only one I really seriously miss is the FAL.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The SOCOM 16 and the Scout Squad (18 inch barrel) both weigh 8.8 lbs with the lightweight synthetic stock. Do you realize how much more an EBR chassis weighs? Not to mention that you shall need gloves to operate the prickly EBR? I appreciate the input, but heavier and less ergonomic isn't in my planning. I'm just wondering why I should give up the extra 1 1/2 inches of barrel at the same weight. The goal here is lighter is better. I've already spent enough time afield with 14+ pound M-14 variants. Round 1 of the scout rifle was under 8 pounds, Round 2 needs to go Pew-pew at under 10. Neither of which can happen with either a Vltor or EBR chassis. M-25's are wonderful weapons, but none of the variants are Scout Rifles. JMHO YMMV. Goal is most for least weight, with 2 MOA utilizing Milsurplus ammo, and total reliability. Dang near impossible ain't it?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Shorter barrel in a collapsible stock would be 10 times better swinging around inside a vehicle or inside a building hallway or low crawling thru bushes.

Everybody should be wearing gloves anyways. You'll be a casualty fighting one handed over the least little splinter if you don't

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shorter barrel in a collapsible stock would be 10 times better swinging around inside a vehicle or inside a building hallway or low crawling thru bushes.

Everybody should be wearing gloves anyways. You'll be a casualty fighting one handed over the least little splinter if you don't
    Isn't that why they made 1911's? Tunnel Rats proved that.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Isn't that why they made 1911's? Tunnel Rats proved that.
    If you want to go scouting carrying an 15 extra pounds of handgun, holster, mags, ammo and pouches, enough to mount an assault on a building hallway with a handgun... on the off chance that you might maybe somewhere on your LRRP come across a building and hallway to clear... no thanks. In this scenario you're a LRRP scout, not a door kicker. Of the 50 pounds or so of rifle, ammo, vest and rucksack that the average man would be able to go LRRP with, I'd rather save that 15 lb of handgun kit for food and water. I've run out of food and water multiple times while trying to save weight on humps and that sucks beyond belief. There's nothing quite like running out of water in summer and still having miles to hump

Last edited:

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    I’ve had a Sage EBR on a M1a, and it’s a badass chassis. And it has been used by the military. It’s a pricey chassis though and really heavy. It was great for a bench rest shooter, but I’d hate to be humping it around. If the goal is a lighter weight scout rifle, I’d probably avoid the m1a/m14 rifle in general. Or I’d not recommend the Sage EBR chassis for that use. Having gone down that route before, I wound up ditching the Sage EBR stock and making my own stock, using a cheap USGI stock from Fred’s and an Ace folding stock mechanism. There are probably factory made side folding stocks now that are even lighter, but I probably did that build 15 years ago.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Looks like you could use an adams arms piston conversion kit. They even come with adjustable gas blocks. And are not heavy at all.
    I had an upper with one of their kits and it worked great. It has a full setting for normal use, a reduced setting for suppressors, and and off setting where you can manually cycle each round after firing like a bolt gun

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the SFAR becomes popular enough I'm sure that Ruger will either produce there own conversion kit or just manufacturer a Piston driven version. (IE mini,14,30 etc)

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The SIG with a 16 inch barrel is heavier. But they are proven perfomers. The Steyr is interesting, but the hidden price point sounds like it may get uninteresting in a hurry. YMMV.

Top Bottom