• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This is a review of my Rock Island Rock Ultra CCO 1911 in 9mm/22TCM9R. This review will only address 9mm. This gun is a newer version of the same gun I got for my son back in June 2020. The two guns are virtual twins. Other than my grips being slightly darker, they are exactly the same. I have shot his gun and it is very accurate and feeds all types of 9mm ammo. I have been wanting one since then, but when covid hit, the well just dried up. It seems that during that time and until very recently, gun manufacturers were not making very many, if any, firearms. It was a no-brainer to get one when I saw them on Bud's Gun Shop website.

When I took it to the range, I was not really surprised when it shot very well. No modifications were made and nothing was done to it other than a good cleaning to get out all of the shipping oil and a new set of g10 grips. I bought this gun based on the performance of my son’s gun and I was not disappointed. Out of the box performance was very good. It fed ball and hollow point with no failures. There was one fail to fire, but that can be attributed to a bad primer in my reloads. At first I thought it might be a light strike, but I fired at least another 20 to 30 rounds after and all fired fine. All total, I shot about 150 rounds, 50 being my V-Crown JHP reloads.

Accuracy was adequate and I’m hoping it will get better as the gun gets broken in. These are two of the targets. All were shot at 10 yards from the bench. 124gr ball range ammo (Norma) and my reloads, 5.3gr of Winchester WST powder and 124gr Sig/Sierra V-Crown JHP. Top is Norma range ammo and bottom is my V-Crown JHP reloads.
    Garry's Rock CCO  L.JPG

DSC00749.JPG

DSC00745.JPG

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Outstanding review!
    Highly motivating!
    It's a great design, but what do you think about the metal quality? I've heard conflicting reports, and seen evidence of soft metal on some RIA products

garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Outstanding review!
    Highly motivating!
    It's a great design, but what do you think about the metal quality? I've heard conflicting reports, and seen evidence of soft metal on some RIA products
    Mine is too new to know, but my son's is four years and is still running fine after about 800 rounds. The only thing I've noticed was that the Rock Island Armory logo on his has almost faded away due to lots of cleanings (and that's not a bad thing).

Top Bottom